A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for Men  (Read 22113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2007 12:41:33 PM »

OMG --i was at the one of a kind show yesterday and i saw these sketch/note books that were made from old vintage book covers and inside it was just blank papper --she used the front and back of the books and radomly inserted pics or pages from the old book into the new one ---

i picked up a small one and it was like 50 bucks ---so---that is what i am going to make for my daddy -- he used to read about this spaceman from australia ( he is from ausie land so i thought it would be close to his heart) --i even think he will use it too

i feel really bad though about taking this womens idea --- should i not do it Huh     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
Ezri_B
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2007 01:00:53 PM »

As long as you're not selling it, I don't think you should feel bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2007 05:02:35 PM »

OMG --i was at the one of a kind show yesterday and i saw these sketch/note books that were made from old vintage book covers and inside it was just blank papper --she used the front and back of the books and radomly inserted pics or pages from the old book into the new one ---

i picked up a small one and it was like 50 bucks ---so---that is what i am going to make for my daddy -- he used to read about this spaceman from australia ( he is from ausie land so i thought it would be close to his heart) --i even think he will use it too

i feel really bad though about taking this womens idea --- should i not do it Huh     

There are already several people selling those on the web and at craft fairs.  While I certainly don't think it's cool to straight up copy someone's business ideas, it's one of the risks of offering your things for sale.  People will get DIY on your idea and some of them will become your competition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2007 02:56:38 PM »

As long as you're not selling it, I don't think you should feel bad.

I agree.  Selling the idea is one thing, but making it to give away is fine.  As TheMistressT said, that's one of the caveats of selling things you make.  People will copy your stuff if they think they can do it for cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2007 07:39:58 AM »

thats guys ---i am going to make him a matching pen ( just for laught) w/ whatever the main charecter is ---i need just one more thing ---can't decides though 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
dyingsockgirl
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2007 08:53:05 AM »

Something I've been meaning to do for YEARS that would be a good guy gift is to make my own action figures from regular dolls (if possible!)
I wanted to make Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction (my fave movie of all time)
Maybe they have a favorite movie charactor with outstanding features you could copy?

While definitely an awesome idea (I was going to make jack bauer from 24), they almost stopped making ken dolls it seems...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
catastrafi
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2007 02:44:57 PM »

I have a bunch of male friends from University i HAD to make gifts for, and iv racked my grey matter for going on two weeks, this is what i have come up with:
All of them are getting record bowls with some of the following in:

Handmade star shape juggling balls (stuffed with rice- so easy)

Handpainted theme mugs (they argue over each others mugs...)

Personalised, maybe embroidered, if i have time, guitar straps

old nintendo style pillow cases as seen here somewhere

malteaser squares MMMM

and they all live together, and i reckon their walls are bare so i have painted them a   lion (its manly i guess)

Thats all iv got peeps!
Thanks for your ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittyzilla
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2007 03:32:42 PM »

That is so darling! The colors look lovely together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2007 12:52:12 PM »

For those that knit, in my experience, knit socks are always a big hit!

Thirding the socks... that's pretty well all I make some years Smiley I think my Dad would be crushed if he did not get his Christmas socks. For guys who are hard on socks, I use a super tough yarn that is made in New Brunswick. It's specifically for work socks, 20% nylon, and a wool breed that is extra tough (I think it is the same as in fishermen's sweaters - Leicester or Aran sheep). However, knitting this stuff is really hard on the hands! It softens up when you wash and block it, but in the knitting stage it feels like twine.

Other knitted things... I made The Boy a Quest Hat, at his request, when he was playing WoW a lot. I took a ready made black toque and made a yellow question mark out of knitted I-cord. (When a character in WoW has a quest people can do, a yellow question mark appears above their head in the game). He doesn't play that anymore, so I have to figure something else out...

Mittens with a skull motif knitted in (I just googled for a skull chart) were fought over at a Christmas gift swap last year.

Magnets are good, especially if you get a little magnet board (or sheet of steel) to go on the wall. I'm thinking shrinky dinks or marble magnets with comic themes would be fun. Still working ont his one.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007 12:54:16 PM by Buglady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2007 07:10:14 AM »

Something I've been meaning to do for YEARS that would be a good guy gift is to make my own action figures from regular dolls (if possible!)
I wanted to make Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction (my fave movie of all time)
Maybe they have a favorite movie charactor with outstanding features you could copy?

While definitely an awesome idea (I was going to make jack bauer from 24), they almost stopped making ken dolls it seems...

A couple of years ago I made some ken-doll-zombie-puppets for a friend's stop motion film (there are pics somewhere on here of it I think... cannae remember where!)

Anyhoo - I had a nightmare trying to find Ken dolls, but then it hit me - jumble sales and charity shops are great for finding anything like that (I even managed to get sme great old 70s action men complete with hawk-eye-action (they looked great and creepy, I hafta say!) Anyhoos, might be worth a look if you have any good charity shops nearby!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Effects #1 - Pixel Background
How to Do A Napalm Run
How Disasters Are Made in Hollywood
How to Create Dramatic Coloring Effects in Photoshop
Photoshop Video Tutorial: Chroma Keying
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...