A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for Men  (Read 21742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenangelcat
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2007 05:48:55 AM »

So far all I've got is a hot water bottle cover made out of felt with his name on it.  I ordered some cuff link bindings off of ebay and hoping they make across the border in time for me to make custom cufflinks.  I also made peppermint meringues and peppermint bark for his stocking.  There are lots of great ideas here, but nothing that will work for my dh unfortunately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oopsdang
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2007 06:30:27 AM »

I dont know exactly where this all fits in... but i made a dastardly concoction of a stuffed animal/ monster for my boo, and he had a cow. WHAT BOY LIKES STUFFED ANIMALS! i mean SERIOUSLY! hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In order to live a creative life, you must lose all sense of fear.- Some smart dead guy.
heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2007 05:43:32 AM »

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but what about appliqued/stenciled/screenprinted ties?

I just had what my mother oddly calls a 'brain fart' and realised that one of these would be cool for my step brother who just took a sales rep job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
blungoldangel
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2007 05:44:05 PM »

I use the term 'brain fart' too. lol. 

Anyway, I know someone mentioned this but my bf also asked for a themed pillow case this year.  It's a easy project and you can make something he'll really love.  I found some great patriots fabric for mine!

He also asked for some patches to put on his bookbag.  He never finds ones he likes in stores so I printed some cool designs and band logos on transfer paper and ironed them onto white fabric to make patches out of them. 

Or, if he has a laptop and doesn't carry a bag with a laptop section, you could make a laptop case.  Many of them you'd buy look kind of feminine.  He might appreciate one made to suit his personality and that he can carry in the way he likes (messenger, briefcase, bookbag, etc.).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2007 11:04:38 PM »

Considering I never know what to get/make guys for Christmas (and I am a guy, which just shows how hard it can be), I'm speaking pretty well from experience here.

Record bowls always go over well.  I like to personalize them by staining the bowl on the inside and adding in images at the same time.  I have a tutorial on another site that goes over my customization process in a lot of detail.  The tutorial specifically mentions a 45/single, but for a guy gift, go with a full sized record.

Two years ago, I did a Halo themed record bowl for a friend at Christmas.  I stained the whole thing an obnoxious shade of green and glued in some screengrabs and logos at the bottom.  He still has it on display.

You just need to remind the guy that they shouldn't eat directly from the bowl.  The previously mentioned friend uses the Halo bowl as a serving dish buy placing another bowl inside for parties/gaming sessions.

Other possibilities?  Hats can go over well.  If you pick up a Knifty Knitter at the craft store and use the biggest ring in the bag, it would only take a couple hours to get right.  Plus, no actual knitting skills required.

The big thing is customization.  Tailor it to the guy's likes and they'll go nuts.  For example, as long as my brother gets something related to Zelda, Spiderman, or penguins, he's happy.  I'm not picky as long as it's connected to classic literature, horror movies, or music.  It's really the thought that counts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2007 11:14:47 PM »

Other possibilities?  Hats can go over well.  If you pick up a Knifty Knitter at the craft store and use the biggest ring in the bag, it would only take a couple hours to get right.  Plus, no actual knitting skills required.

Just make sure you don't make it too big. I made a hat on the KK for my friend, and it goes down to his nose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
PBF2love
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2007 04:22:46 AM »

I would say my favorites so far are the Etched (or frosted paint for the non-commital type) beer mugs/steins/martini glasses.

Also, I found that making a wallet for my brother didn't go over well. Make sure they aren't so "attached" to their wallet. My brother's is falling apart and he knows it but he won't switch to anything else.

Anything made with records is amazing (i.e. Leah's record napkin holder?). I found this AWESOME tutorial for an amazing record lampshade herehttp://www.instructables.com/id/Record-Lampshade/, but if your guy loves records (like my other brother!) don't stop here. Make him a BUNCH of record thingies, also found at this website! Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007 08:48:28 AM by PBF2love » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PBF2love
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2007 08:50:15 AM »

PERFECT! after many hours of searching the internet and reading this post I figured out what I'm going to make my brothers!! Both of them are (self-proclaimed) chefs so OVEN MITTS IT IS! I know it's probably a no-brainer for most people but I guess I was thinking less practical and more, hmm... I don't even know! But oven mitts are perfect Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2007 11:39:28 AM »

PERFECT! after many hours of searching the internet and reading this post I figured out what I'm going to make my brothers!! Both of them are (self-proclaimed) chefs so OVEN MITTS IT IS! I know it's probably a no-brainer for most people but I guess I was thinking less practical and more, hmm... I don't even know! But oven mitts are perfect Smiley

What would you make them out of to make them heat-proof? Just regular quilting fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2007 03:27:24 PM »

What would you make them out of to make them heat-proof? Just regular quilting fabric?

They make an ironing board cover fabric that's quilted and somewhat insulated.  That quilted stuff that's silver on one side.  Anyway, add a couple layers of COTTON batting (polyester will melt) and you should be fine.  Even store-bought mitts will burn if you hold on to the hot pot too long.  I made some w/o the added layers and they got cookie sheets from oven to counter no problem.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007 04:06:38 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Fun With Fillet
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Nested Scope Box Demonstration
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Keyboard Shortcuts
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Build a House in 10 Minutes
How to use REVIT MEP 2008 - Architecture Keynotes By Number
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...