A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for Men  (Read 22077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2007 12:06:47 PM »

A few more ideas, because I get stumped too:

a catch-all for keys, wallet cell phone, change, (and DS in the case of my DH) made from heavy cardstock, decoupaged or covered in fabric to match man's interest (geeky references, sports colors or plain, plain, plain.) The great thing about this one is that if it is used it is a gift to you, too. (I know I am going on big gender stereotypes here about sloppiness.)

cufflinks or belt buckles customized with photos, pinups, whatever floats his particular boat

for the office types, those Post It notes covers look really sleek and would be easy to knock out

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
marlie2
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2007 04:39:19 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread and the suggestion of etching glasses!!
The other day I went to Michaels and picked up a bottle of etching cream and spent a few hours having hilarious fun with it. I etched glasses for my older brother and my male coworker, and they turned out so great.

As for my contribution to this thread, I think blankets have been mentioned, but I'm in the process of knitting my younger brother a blanket.
And (hopefully he doesn't read this!) but my boyfriend is a print-journalism major and the campus newspaper's news editor. On etsy.com I found these awesome cufflinks made from vintage typewriter keys (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=6482635). I got him some since I wouldn't know the first thing about making any myself, but those who have mad skills in jewelry could probably make some pretty nice typewriter cufflinks for their very own writers  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
!b
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2007 05:09:02 PM »

I am going way overboard for the boycakes this christmas and have come up with a CRAZY advent calender idea with each gift relating to a similar "coupon."
ie: we are always talking about going to the zoo but at 15$ each it isn't in our budget so I used my airmiles and got 2 admissions. The coupon to go with it is "One free activity of your choice with no complaining on my part." He is constantly trying to drag me out into the snow and I am always saying NO. 

Another is this Temple Balm from Lush and the coupon is for 5 free head massages.

Etc etc, I don't have 24 yet but I am working on it.

For the very first day, December 1st I am giving him 15 different frozen re-heatable meals. One for every day that he has to work. They come complete with desert too. Examples are: Chili, stew, meatloaf, hearty chicken soup, lasagna, chicken casserole, pot pies. And for dessert the likes of apple crisp, banana bread, pumpkin muffins and cinnamon buns. I also made homemade buns and wrapped them individually so he can take them when he has stew and chili. 

Ladies, if your man likes your cooking this is a fool proof way to win his favour allll month long. I also wrote B (hearts) B on each of the containers tags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2007 05:36:15 PM »

In the past I've also made him decorated ice cream bowls with his college logo on them (paint pens and then varnish). 

Oh man! I love this idea. You could also modify this if the guy is question drinks a lot of coffee (mug), smokes (ashtray), etc.

Most things can be made "manly" if you use denim.

Fleece pajama pants rock.

That's about all I've got. You all have good suggestions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
ryepie
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2007 07:16:08 PM »

i think i'm going to make these sliding gloves for my husband! i'm super stoked to have found this article, actually.
http://users.pandora.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/gloves/gloves.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2007 10:18:35 AM »

this yar my best friend ( and her fam , we have been friends since i can remember) our havig christmas eve together , as we alyas do , and it is a p.j. party , and as the men don't actually wear pjs , so i thought i would make them a matching pair , just i don't know if it should be a joke ( pink pj pants) or something parcticle , if so what kind of fabric ---also what kind of pattern??? ( i SUCK at making my own ) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2007 02:39:07 PM »

this yar my best friend ( and her fam , we have been friends since i can remember) our havig christmas eve together , as we alyas do , and it is a p.j. party , and as the men don't actually wear pjs , so i thought i would make them a matching pair , just i don't know if it should be a joke ( pink pj pants) or something parcticle , if so what kind of fabric ---also what kind of pattern??? ( i SUCK at making my own ) 

All the major pattern manufacturers have lounge pants patterns for both men and women.  I think practical, so they can wear them around the house on lazy weekend mornings even after the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2007 06:44:29 PM »

I used a Simplicity pattern called "Sew Easy" or something like that for the ones I made SA last year - I think the pattern was $2.99 and only was 4 pieces of fabric (not counting the pockets I added).  I used about two and a half yards of fabric though, because SA is 6'6, and I had to adjust the pattern for his height.  If you've got average height guys though, it's super easy. All in all, it only took me about 2 hours to do his, and that was including taking the time to press the seams.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2007 04:11:24 PM »

I just made this for the ManFlesh!  Similar themes could be used for many men's nemeses.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=210006.msg2250561;topicseen#msg2250561

I also made this for a divorced friend who's ex-wife took most of the kitchen stuff. 
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=210039.msg2251032;topicseen#msg2251032
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007 06:28:26 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lighthematch
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2007 07:23:04 PM »

jenangelcat - mine wasn't as expensive as that ($40!! how?? mine was about 10 GBP) but expensive enough to make me determined to use it again this christmas!

my dad is getting a crochet brain slug (from futurama) and some heavy canvas reusable shopping bags with ross noble stencils.

my boyfriend and brother will get some stencilled tees.

best friend liam will get etched shot glasses (i'll use the bloody etching cream if it kills me).

hope this helps someone - i really think that reusable shopping bags are a great gift for anyone and so convenient. and easy to knock together!

I'm going the same route with the stenciled tees and reusable shopping bags.  Everyone on my list will be getting those--despite my fears that only half the people I gift shopping bags to will actually use them Undecided...
   I live in Arizona and my dad lives in Maryland, so I was going to send him a mini cactus garden I've assembled in a large dish I'm going to paint (something) on.   Both of my brothers are carpenters in Hawaii, so they're getting cooling ties (I bought the gel crystals last summer)...

Other than those gifts, I'm at a loss.  Some men are so hard to craft for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
These Bacon Pancakes Will Change Your Life
Bacon, Pea, and Fresh Herb Pasta Recipe
How to Grill Stuffed Caprese Turkey Sliders Recipe
Grilled Chimichurri Steak Recipe
Peach Barbecue Chicken Burgers Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...