A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lame Noob Dress Questions  (Read 593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LauraCore
« on: October 30, 2007 10:55:22 AM »

alright, well a friend of mine is getting married at the end of May and I am thinking of making my own dress....As this is my first clothing project I have a few questions.

First off I've been looking at this pattern:
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2903.htm?tab=vintage_vogue&page=1
Or something similar. I am a pretty curvy shape and hope this will look ok because of the lower waist and full skirt. (Any suggestions on patterns that are becoming of a hot curvy lady are welcome too!)

My first question is what kind of fabric(s) should I use. The package has suggestions but...as it is an evening wedding I am not sure. I do not want to appear too formal and would also like to avoid the use of sateen fabric. The wedding party is all wearing sateen fabrics and I do not want to mesh in that way. also it sucks to sew.

Secondly, any other noob suggestions that might help me with this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 11:04:37 AM »

I think just about any woven fabric would work for that dress (which I love by the way).  Just choose something you like.  One thing to consider, without a crinoline the skirt will lie much flatter, and light weight fabrics won't hold any shape in the skirt.  I've made that mistake before.  But you can always play aroudn and try soem different things if you have until May.

Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
BettieMunroe
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007 06:43:04 PM »

that's really pretty. it's very audrey hepburn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 07:38:44 PM »

I love the pattern!  I think it would be very flattering for a curvy figure.  Here's a link to a fellow craftster's blog who made this dress: Vogue 2903 on "By Cat" - her version looks wonderful!   Since this is your first clothing project, I highly recommend making a practice version (aka muslin) in some cheap fabric (preferable cotton or cotton/poly so it's easy to work with).  That way you can get an idea of the construction process and try the dress on for fit before you cut into more expensive fabric.

For fabric choice, I think you have a lot of options.  Just to clarify, I think you are trying to avoid satin - a polyester or silk fabric with a shiny weave?  Where I am from, sateen is usually used in reference to cotton sateen, which is cotton fabric with the same weave as satin.  It has a slight sheen to it but is not really "shiny."  Actually, I think cotton sateen might be a nice choice - depending on how formal you want to go with it, there are sometimes pretty prints available.  The fabric is pretty easy to work with (not slippery) but has a nicer look than just plain cotton broadcloth.  Otherwise, perhaps a polyester (or silk if you prefer) shantung or dupioni fabric would have a nice texture and sheen to it without being shiny like satin. 

If you really want the skirt to poof like in the picture, you will need a crinoline, but I have heard they are not too hard to make.

Good luck, and I hope you'll post your progress! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
seschloss
Our Sewing Blog:

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007 09:59:23 PM »

You say you're curvy, so you'll want to (when you do your muslin) work on a full bust adjustment... It takes some tweaking to get right, but you'll be glad you did, especially for a style like that. There are some good books that can help you with that process (I like Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina). Sadly patterns are generally drafted for B-cup gals.

As far as fabrics, what about a girly print of some sort. I've seen some sweet Free Spirit prints (and used a few for skirts/dresses) that could be fun. They have a great polka dot line called freckles that's fab. (Polka dots are my thing, so I'm a bit bias on that one.) Or maybe the vintagy Katie Jump Rope line from that same company? Anything like that could be fun. Quality cotton is just so nice to work with.

(Great pattern choice, by the way.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sewer-sewist.com

Where my hubby and I co-blog about sewing together...
LauraCore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007 08:53:18 PM »

Wow thanks for all the feedback. I found some really cheap muslin that I am going to make a template out of. And if I start gathering everything soon I'll have a better idea of what I want by the time May rolls around.

Kaitlinnegan- see the dress made in pictures gives me a much better idea of how it might look on me.

seschloss- Thanks for the fabric site. I love jump rope and flea market. So beautful and I think with maybe alittle tull under the dress just peeking out it might make it a bit more dressy for evenging.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
How to Get the Best Shot on Your Digital Camera
Tailor & Shoemaker - The Sartorialist for AOL On
Celebrity Photographer Bruce Weber LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...