A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Christmas for a Family In Need  (Read 1398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlieface
toot if you like candy...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2004 09:57:03 AM »

Last night my fiance and his family's apartments burnt down.  He lives in an apartment above them, and he lost everything; the rest of his family is salvaging what they can, but there's not much.  The whole apartment is being bulldozed later today.  You always hear about these sad stories right before Christmas, and I always feel bad for the people, but I never thought it would happen to anyone so near and dear to me.  To add to it, a friend of us all who lived in the uppermost apartment above my fiance did not make it out...

Besides losing pretty much everything they own, my boy and his family have also lost to the fire all of the Christmas presents that they'd bought for each other.  I'm hoping the Salvation Army will do what they can to help, but it stands nonetheless that they may be having a rather homeless, presentless Christmas this year, and I need to do something about that.  Unfortunately, I'm entirely broke by now, and though I'd gotten some things for my fiance and one thing for each of his family members, I definitely want to give them more now.

Does anyone have any ideas of crafty things I could make for them?  Keep in mind that I don't have much money, and while they deserve any and every gift, they also probably need some practical things now as well.  I'd really appreciate any input or advice, and for those of you who pray, I ask you to please keep this family in yours prayers (as well as the family of our friend who was lost in the fire) during this holiday season.

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlieface
your one-stop shop spot for all things DIY and full of girlie goodness
iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004 10:07:32 AM »

Wow, that is horrible. I'm really sorry.  Embarrassed

You could sew purses for the women (they could even be patchwork, using all your fabric scraps), and fill them with homemade candles, soap, and chapstick. Maybe even throw in some chocolate.

You could make stenciled t-shirts and duct tape wallets for the men.

For the kids you could make stuffed animals, there are some easy, good links at this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19010.0

And everyone loves a nice big plate of homemade cookies.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
msmeow
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004 10:12:12 AM »

Oh, that's so awful.  Embarrassed  It does seem like I hear about something like this every year around the holidays.  Is there any way that you can get this on the local news?  Oftentimes the news will be interested because they like horrible stories like this, but it can also have a human interest angle.  It could be a way to let locals know they can donate items to your fiance's family.  this time of year, people will make the extra effort to help out.
You could also check your local Red Cross to see if they can help out with anything--they respond to lots of apartment building fires. http://www.redcross.org/
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlieface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004 10:17:03 AM »

Wow, that is horrible. I'm really sorry. Embarrassed

You could sew purses for the women (they could even be patchwork, using all your fabric scraps), and fill them with homemade candles, soap, and chapstick. Maybe even throw in some chocolate.

You could make stenciled t-shirts and duct tape wallets for the men.

For the kids you could make stuffed animals, there are some easy, good links at this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19010.0

And everyone loves a nice big plate of homemade cookies. Smiley

Thank you - Those are great ideas!  I don't really know how to make soap or anything like that, but I could probably find stuff like that at the Dollar General and fill the purses and such up with them...I do have plenty of fabric scraps.

And cookies sound good too - Thank you!

Oh, that's so awful. Embarrassed  It does seem like I hear about something like this every year around the holidays.  Is there any way that you can get this on the local news?  Oftentimes the news will be interested because they like horrible stories like this, but it can also have a human interest angle.  It could be a way to let locals know they can donate items to your fiance's family.  this time of year, people will make the extra effort to help out.
You could also check your local Red Cross to see if they can help out with anything--they respond to lots of apartment building fires. http://www.redcross.org/
Good luck!

Those are wonderful ideas as well.  I'm just so shocked and everything still, I haven't even thought of these things.  I think if people knew, they would try to help however they could.  Thank you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlieface
libra

He's so in touch with his innerfish.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004 05:36:44 PM »

I get a mixed feeling when bad things happen this time of year, it seems like they should be extra sad, but then the togetherness that communities feel during the holidays can be really impressive.

We helped a lady who had lost her home days before Christmas last year, she asked for blankets first.  I think the best gift we gave her was inviting her and her family over for dinner on Christmas.  It's actually very cheap to cook for an extra 4 or 5 people when you're already cooking for 8.

Do you knit?  I know there isn't a lot of time between now and Christmas but there are some simple hat patterns that whip up pretty quickly.

If they lost a lot of their family photos and if you have some of your fiance with his family, get copies and put them in frames.

Heavens, I'm watching Food Network right now and all I can think about is food.

I think we'll all be praying for your inlaws to be and the family of your friend.  If you can call your fire departments NON-EMERGENCY line, I'm sure they have some resources for people that have lost their homes/belongings to fire that they can point you towards.  Sometimes hotels this time of year will either let a family stay in a room for very cheap or for free.  It's worth checking out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlieface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004 08:39:38 AM »

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  Things are going a little better right now.  The Red Cross has put the family up in a hotel, and they're even looking for an apartment for them to move into, which they will pay the first month's rent for.  Different organizations throughout the town have donated money and other necessities, and my friends and friends of my fiance and his family have all been great, offering their love, help, and prayer.  There's still a rough road ahead, but things are definitely starting to look up, due to the kindness of strangers and loved ones alike.

As for the crafty side of it all, I made some fleece scarves for the family, and I went out and searched the thrift stores and dollar generals for clothes, products for around the house, and toys and little things like that.  I spent every last penny I had, and my parents helped out too, so hopefully the things I've scrounged up will help make their Christmas a little merrier.

Thanks again, everyone! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlieface
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
How to Draw a Snake
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
How to Create a Cartoon Tiger
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...