A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Completed - Wood Nymph Costume  (Read 1880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2007 03:28:22 PM »

Forgive the bad pictures...I forgot to bring my camera to the party I went to. And I look like an idiot standing alone in my apartment Smiley

I bought the dress at Forever 21 for $17, and I bought the shoes and purse at JC Pennys.

I added the flower to the purse and I cut holes in the backs of the shoes so I could run some ribbon yarn through them to make them ballerina shoes.

The handwarmers are actually an old pair of tights I had lying around - I cut the feet off and trimmed them to size, then ran the same ribbon yarn from my shoes in a zigzag pattern along the edge, to give the illusion that I had laced the gloves to my arms. The cape was a lot of fun - I bought the fabric at Jo-Anns and the assorted flowers, leaves, and garland at Michaels. I decided to use the garland to support the cape, so I sewed the fabric strips to it (not an easy thing, when you're dealing with tangled thread and a deranged kitty cat obsessed with chewing the thing to death!). Then I sewed the flowers and leaves to the cape. I didn't actually tie the cape together in the front - I just twisted the wire part of the garland around my dress straps.

You can't really see my face (I actually took pictures but they're too hideous to show the world) but I did some green makeup and glitter around my eyes. I also bought those cute little crystal barrettes from a kiosk in the mall and that's what's holding my hair back.

I conceived of and created this costume in about 11 hours. Three hours for shopping, one hour for lunch, and the rest was spent sewing and messing around with ribbon. Go me! Smiley

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 03:31:34 PM by katbaggins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
CraftyZedral
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 03:31:30 PM »

Very pretty! I especially love your cape.  I used a similar idea for this year's costume, except no cape.  I painted a mask green and glued leaves around it instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007 03:42:55 PM »

Very pretty! I especially love your cape.  I used a similar idea for this year's costume, except no cape.  I painted a mask green and glued leaves around it instead.

Ooo nice idea! I think if I'd had more time I might have made a mask. That's something I've always wanted to do but never had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
pixie424
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 10:37:20 AM »

Very nice!  I like the leaf accents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AredRouletteKiss
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007 10:39:33 AM »

I love the beading around your neckline so much and the leaves too!  And the armwarmers....Ok I love it all!  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists: http://www.wists.com/RenderedGypsy
myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=9110428

Hear the chimes,
did you know that the wind when it blows
It is older than Rome and all of this sorrow
~ Conor Oberst ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Bun
DIY Dry Skin Treatments
3 Great Products for Being Glamorous on a Budget
Urban Decay Debuts Must Have Naked3 Palette
Olivia Wilde Shares Her Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...