A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first basic-bird(TM) - or how I started crocheting  (Read 981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TLW
« on: October 29, 2007 02:50:45 PM »

Hello everyone,

I started at crocheting about two months ago.
I was trying to think of a way of creating some sort of 'pan-basket' (so we can keep our pans together during the holidays), when I stumbled upon the craftster forum. Not only did it become an instant 'favourite page', I also decided that crochet would be easy enough to learn to fullfill my purposes.

It took me quite some time to really understand how crochet worked. I looked at many different webpages, each of them showing it in a different way and finally I asked my mother (and how delighted she was). After seeing her crochet, especially after trying and re-trying many times myself, it suddenly 'clicked', and now I can do most of the 'simple' stitched fairly easy (though not regularly).

Of course I started on some 'swatches' (I call those 2D-crochet) to practice my stitches, but what I really wanted was to start on the amigurumi (3D crochet). Because they are quick (which is always good for a mind that is easily bored) and I felt they were more 'dynamic' (I tend to get bored with stitching lots of rows without even a change in colour happening).
In addition to that, I have noticed that 'cute looking things' are more forgiving in stich-errors than swatches, where you can see any error immediately. (But that might be just me).

And so two weekends ago, I started (and finished) my first 3D-crochet project: the basic bird.
I am very proud of it (and so is my mother).

It is (as far as I could manage) based on the instructions as given here: http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/birds-of-a-feather/

Any pattern-changes / ommittances are not due to the pattern, but to me. I followed the instructions, but not everything went as smoothly as planned. Mainly because, I had never decreased stitches before, so I just guessed at how to do it. It worked pretty well.

So in the course of two months, I have found myself a new hobby as well as a new side to check out too often.

Thank you very much craftster, for existing, and for reading this slightly rambling post so far.

TLW

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007 05:08:26 PM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
jkaymac
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 04:05:25 PM »

How funny, these birds were my first effort at amiigurumi too.  I have been crocheting for years though.  I think yours looks great.

I live in Iowa, so we have Iowa State (Cyhawk mascot) and Iowa (Herky the Hawk mascot).  So I've been making lots of these in the team colors for friends and coworkers.

I recently discovered craftster too.  And I couldn't agree more with you.  This is a great place.

jkay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackxunicorn
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007 06:25:05 PM »

lol you'r birdy turned out great

i still have to make one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007 06:35:19 PM »

Very cute! Thanks for posting the "how to" link. I have a friend who's daughter loves birdies. I'm sure she'd love one of these Cheesy Your first birdie looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CheyElizabeth
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007 07:32:53 AM »

Congrats on the birdie, its very cute! And welcome to the wonderful world of crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FairyFemme

Avoiding the temptation to join another swap!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007 11:18:52 AM »

oh, my! only 2 months? You've done wonderfully!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself.
--Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
--Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007 11:23:41 AM »

He's so cute!  I have to try one of those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
xtyr
love and a cupcake

*heart*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007 12:47:32 PM »

oh, very cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts... but you cannot deny he's got style..."
TLW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007 02:06:18 PM »

Thank you all for your very nice (and encouraging) comments.

I am preparing myself to start on my third bird.
(My second one is now hiding on my mothers desk).
I m considering of making them all in different colours, and then make a 'mobile' out of them.

And I am also thinking about making 'realistic' ones (like a robin in brown and red, a tit in green, blue and yellow, a blackbird in (you probably get it by now), though that might be a bit too enthusiastic (which is the best reason one might need to do it).

Once again, Thank you for your comments.

TLW

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No interesting signature yet........
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Platinum Advice - How to Assess the Value of Your Ring
How to Make Necklaces
How to Make Hemp Jewelry
Learn How to Make Hemp Jewelry
How to Make a Woven Yarn Friendship Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...