A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
723 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First timer sock yarn  (Read 279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little.mrs.sunshine
« on: October 29, 2007 01:45:26 AM »

Hi,

I am debating making my first pair of socks and before I take the plunge with some reduced Opal yarns online I wanted to get your opinions on which yarns are "best" for a beginner.  These will probably be presents, so its better if they can be machine washed.

Maybe its a case of "suck it and see" but I thought if I could tap in your collective wisdom it would be better.

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 02:31:43 AM »

I used Opal (I guess the 'classic' fair isle yarn) and it felt really stringy to knit with. To be fair, once it washed, it softened up considerably and I've been wearing the socks since then. I think Regia is a nice yarn: I have the one with the wool and bamboo mix. That's also machine washed.

People have been known to write sonnets over Lorna's laces (a friend of mine swears by the yarn, but I think the colourways are atrocious), and I've heard good things about Wollmeise (sp?) sock yarn (an independent dyer based in Germany). Those might be hand wash, I think, but the socks are yummy.

The best thing about sock yarn is that it comes in the most luxourious blends (cashmere, for example), but if you want a hard wearing sock, look for the ones with nylon or polyamede (sp).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 02:32:38 AM by cranberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007 01:59:40 AM »

I should preface by saying that I don't like most washable sock yarns, they feel like acrylic to me.  That being said, I think that yarns with some "grab" to them (read- squishy and woolly) yarns are really good for beginners since they don't slip through the hands as fast so you can get some good tension, especially for people dealing with dpns and small needle sizes for the first time.

I usually suggest that people start with a pair of worsted weight socks (cascade superwash, for example) since they will go faster, especially if you have to frog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Increase Your Available Light
How an SLR Camera Differs from a Point and Shoot Camera
Learn about F Stop Increments
Learn about Depth of Field - The Three Rules
How to Check and Clean Your Sensor Dust
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...