A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I screwed up my costume!  (Read 2217 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hello color!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007 11:25:47 AM »

How about attaching it to your bra straps by putting a thin strap under the bra strap. (You only wear it once, so you can "sew" the bra in and then cut it out, or you can use a velcro to make it multi-usable.) And then, to make it look pretty and more Greek-like, put a cowl on top if you have leftover fabric, kind of like the scarf in floatingmoon's option D. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007 12:31:37 PM »

I like floating moon's draped scarf ideas, but the easiest way to quickly deal with that droopy neckline might be to just run a small stretch of elastic (~4in, 2 inches on each side of the shoulder seam) on each shoulder.....

Cut your elastic ~ 6 inches long and pin the very center right on the underside of the shoulder seam. With the right side down and the elastic on top, anchor the elastic with a couple of straight stitches. Now, pull on the elastic tail with your right hand and pull on the garment from behind the needle, guiding a very loose zig zag along the neckline through the elastic (you'll still have a tail of elastic to hold on to when you've gone the right distance)....when you let go, you will have half the shoulder gathered. Go back and start at the shoulder seam and go the other direction to finish off the side.  Easy Peasy! (Am I making sense?)

Do the other shoulder, throw on a drape, and you are Good To Go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007 12:48:42 PM »

Also, I don't really want to be an 80's aerobics muse...
lol... You poor thing.  Though you think your costume looks bad right now, I think it looks pretty good.  I haven't made clothes, so I really can't offer suggestions that do not involve safety pins or duct tape  Undecided   I'm just here for support  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
kell
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007 01:05:59 PM »

Another suggestion would be to make a casing around the neckline and thread it with some ribbon (for a bow, it would involve making 2 tiny holes in the front of the casing for the ribbon to peek out and be tied, gold could be pretty) or elastic. 

Anything such as this that involves making the neck smaller might also require the waist band to be moved downwards, as the fabric will be pulled up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Him: I think we've been on the same page for a while now.
Me: What if we're on the same page, but in different books?

myspace
  swap info
Brihene

i'm kind of a big deal.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007 01:25:19 PM »

Okay, the white is transperant bra straps, so it's work appropriate!

The grey is a shawl, which is still greek-ish, but you can't see that you screwed up the neckline!

Andd, the brown is a belt (you can use rope or something if you're in a hurry), which will probably take the focus off the neckline!

Hope I helped! xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < )

My shop the swap 7 shop!

Horse swap, anyone?
Tanzie
I've got love for the chat hoes...anyone else need not apply!

"Ich warte auf dich-am Ende der nacht"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007 01:58:13 PM »

i would tie the shoulders up in knots and i like the gold cord idea you could use it to jazz it up some from one should and maybe down around you for a belt as well....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a burning image in her mind and between her thighs...

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CRAFT SUPPLIES!DON'T #$%@ WITH ME!

half moon shawl crochetalong...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235034.0

stalk me....
http://www.wists.com/Tanzie
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007 02:05:52 PM »

ok, I think I'm a little late jumping in here, but here are my ideas.
woo! paint!

Cut there, I know I know, it sounds crazy, but trust me. It will make it more cowl-y and I think if you get rid of your hem and just leave a raw edge it will leave it more drapey. A lot of times with one time wear items (like say a homecoming dress) I will leave the hem raw and just have a clean cut edge. It always ends up looking ok. Then you will want to put in little bra strap holders like mentioned above. If you were going to wear it more than once, you would put a little ribbon on the inside of the shoulder and tack one side down and put a snap on the other where you could slide in your bra strap. In this case, you could tack down both sides of the ribbon with your bra strap in between.

in addition, do this with some chiffon.

It is just a rectangle. Chiffon will be drapey. Actually, two rectangles, tacked at two points, and probably tacked onto the shoulders of the dress. Take a tape measure and hold it up how you deep you want the cowl to be with the start on one shoulder and the finish on the other and the tape measure hanging as a U in between. This will be the distance between your two tack points. Like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Model Off-Duty Style at NYFW Spring 2014
Steal Her Style: Lea Michele
Dress For The Job You Want
Sarah Jessica Parker Debuts Shoe Collection
FIRST LOOK: Calvin Klein Collection - NYFW Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...