A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,351
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! I screwed up my costume!  (Read 2410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkiet
« on: October 28, 2007 11:54:31 PM »

Hi all!
So, I know Halloween is 2 (2!) days away, and I'm huge procrastinator, but I messed up my costume tonight, and I'm hoping you could help!  I'm being a muse/greek goddess, and I found this awesome pleated fabric and was following this tut for a chiton:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=198893.0
Everything was going OK, but the neck wasn't draping.  So, I hacked into the neckline, and now it is tooooo big and looks weird!
Front:

Back:

The wost part is not that it looks weird, but that it wont stay on my shoulders!
 Cry

I tried gathering the shoulders up and tying them, but they still won't stay on!  Here's a shot of a quick gathering for the photos:

The only place I am wearing this is work, so I can't go around with my bra straps hanging out!  Also, I don't really want to be an 80's aerobics muse...
I have some sheer fabric I was going to make a drape out of, I don't know if I could use that in the back to tie the right and left sides together.  I'm a little distraught.  If anyone has any suggestion, I would really appreciate.  I've got my man trying to brainstorm, and he doesn't know the first thing about sewing!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 12:10:20 AM »

Maybe buy some grommets and some gold cord? Install grommets around the neckline and use them to slightly gather the neckline. It'll maybe even look on purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
heykids

"...And he turned as green as green grass" - Babel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007 12:37:31 AM »

haha, I'm sorry, the first thing that made me reply was your ardent desire to not be a 80's aerobics muse.
sorry that in of itself wasn't much help!

hm. muses bring to mind artfully draped ivy and little gold leaves, ala olympic crowns.
maybe you could find some of those fake plastic ivy garlands (not wreaths, the long rope-y like bunches of ivy) and somehow drape that around your neckline and down the dress, pinning/sewing/hot gluing the neckline to the leaves?

or maybe try pleats?
best of luck!
that dress looks really cool actually, if you manage to fix the neckline ivy-leaves-less, I'd vote for wearing it on days other than just Oct 31st!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
floatingmoon
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007 12:44:54 AM »

The following are just "suggestions". I am just suggesting, I am not trying to "made" you do as I told. So please don't get all mad etc. (I have to explain this, coz some people think irrationally and think I am "telling" them to do it this a that way.)

I think of 5 options.
Option A B: However, they are not Greek Goddess style.
Option C D E: it's greeklike

Please please please "try/test" first before you do it "permanent". Coz I don't know if it's gonna work or not.

Option A (regular style dress)

Add elastic inside (between the green dots)
And the dress may be a bit plain with just that elastic, so you can add a sliver belt etc, but it's up to you.

Option B ("Carmen")

See the "T" (the white line), that's a transparent bra strap.
Pink:the elastic strap (lace-like) attach to the dress
Red:the drapery sew around the opening.
Color red/pink? it can be whatever color, I choose those color just to explain to you more easily.
If the work place still not allow that style, well, then add a scarf, like how people wear their scarf when they go to ball dinner.

Option C GREEK

Not sure how your armpit area of the fabric is. The wwww part of the chest area fabric, you can turn into a elastic wrap around you, and it can create some fold and thus greek like too.
Again, you can use transparent bra strap.
Blue: soft fabric that look like a scarf, or if you have a long scarf and it matches, why not. (can be any color, such as white)
And for the end of the dress, may be cutting it diagonally would make it look more greek too. It'll be nice to match with a ballet style shoes and then some gold strings on the feet up to the knee. etc.

Option D GREEK

I know I know, the statue is a guy. But you are a lady, it's OKAY.
I like the 'scarf like fabric' that lay on his shoulder. It's a similar affect with Option C (the blue color). (hope you know what I mean)
And yeah, add some leaves wreath on your hair, that would increase the greek look.

Option E GREEK

No, I don't mean the to "low" V cut as low at her dress (that may not appropriate to wear to work)
I mean, can you kind of cut the dress a bit and turn it into the "y"
shape cutting?

Hope things will work out and have fun. Take it easy coz you are doing all this because you want to have fun, so don't stress out yourself.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 02:47:17 AM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
Syringe_Tide
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007 01:17:57 AM »

All you have to do it sew a dart from the center to the neckline in the midpoint of your dress, (meaning where your cleavage is.) It's pleated fabric so it won't be noticable. Use polyester thread since the dress is shiny and it will blend right in. You'll have a line up the middle of the bust of your dress but at least it won't be falling off or showing the bra straps. If it is still noticable and you don't want it to be, then drape some fabric across your chest and add some plastic gold leaves/vines.  I tend to have this problem with dresses from time to time so i hope this helps. (The problem is almost always the fabric!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Syringe_Tide
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007 01:18:59 AM »

Also, if it is majorly drooping in the back, then do the same thing with the dart. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007 01:23:37 AM »

Cool!  I have had exactly this problem and didn't know what to do (so I threw out my project! what a waste!).  I don't know which choices you will make, but I thank FloatingMoom and SyringeTide for all the ideas, because I will use them sometime I swear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007 04:59:08 AM »

You could also go the easy route and just use some toupee tape (also called 'pagent tape' or 'fashion tape' - basically just really sticky double sided tape.  I always find it at lingere stores) to keep the dress up on your shoulders.  Then let the front and the back drape down. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007 05:52:56 AM »

I bought my sister a mini dress which had a huge 'cowl neck' but to the back. to stop it from falling off her shoulders there was simply 2 ties.. like this:

sorry the quality is poor... it's a rushed paint job!! hehe

but basically, you could keep the drapage of greekness, and possibly even add a bit more fabric on so it drapes more.. I'm not sure how easy that'd be but it would sure go with the theme Cheesy

good luck

xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
pinkiet
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007 09:07:54 AM »

Thanks guys!!  You are so fast with the ideas!!  I'll have to think about it some more at work today, but I think I'll use a combo of everyone's ideas!  Syringe_Tide's dart definitely in the back, then the sheer fabric from floatingmoon's option C, tied like loukr suggested in the back.  I should have just bought that darned white and blue costume like I was thinking about in the first place!!!!
Well, thanks again, I'll let you know if anything works tonight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Curl Hair
How to Style a Braided Ponytail
How to Create the Faux Bob Look
How to Create Glamorous Waves in Your Hair
How to Do a Low Textured Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...