A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 questions (pattern help and advice)  (Read 613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peacesign
« on: October 28, 2007 10:32:31 PM »

Hi, I'm Ali and I've been knitting since January-ish. No problem so far except I'm knitting this hat:

Here's the link:http://knitonthenet.com/issue1/patterns/clochestashhat/

This is the part I do not understand at all: Change to 5mm DPN's by knitting across 48sts on first DPN, and the next 48sts with second, pick up and knit 20sts down open back seam of hat, then 20 up other side of open back seam with third DPN. (136sts).

Would you all mind helping me out?

Also, I have a question, I'm what you call a nervous knitter. Weird awkward social interactions result in me pulling out the latest project. People don't really care, but Dr. Shrink says that it's being used as an unreliable escape. But i disagree, it's relaxing and challenging, I could be smoking crack as such  "escape" What is your opinion? Do you knit to calm yourself and you're a tiny bit obsessed with yarn running through your fingers?

Thanks so much for any help offered, I appreciate it.

Ali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love everything
bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007 10:42:16 PM »

I'm still working out the hat issue but nervous knitting isn't a bad thing at all. I can see how Dr. Shrink may not want use using it to avoid things but if it's just calming theres not a problem at all. Its better than what i do... i tend to rearramge my purse endlessly when i'm nervous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
eatyerhartout
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007 10:48:46 PM »

hmm...the hat pattern has me a bit confused. Sorry I can't help there.

But about the nervousness--if it calms you, I see no problem. If it comes to the point where you can't talk to people calmly without yarn in your hands..well, that may be a problem. So I can see where good ol' Dr. Shrinky could be concerned. If you just use it as a relaxing exercise (like counting for some people, or picking an object and telling yourself as many details about it as you can) then I see no reason for you to stop. I'm the same way, especially when it comes to awkward personal questions from people I barely know. I tend to plaster a smile on my face and exit the conversation as quickly as possible. Knitting is definately relaxing and a major stress-reliever. It's my time to go over all the worrying details of my day-to-day life and put things in perspective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
alyce1611
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007 10:54:04 PM »

I am a crocheter, I don't knit but I can relate with having the need to make things, to also use that time when you are waiting for ex, or not exactly where you want to be, and drift off into what you are doing. Its why people carry a book in part, to be able to entertain themselves, to be able to make sort of any environment, their own. I also like patterns I find difficult because I like the challenge. I also think what my 6 yr old niece recently said also sums its up, she literally said "art is important to me."  She is in an art class I teach, but still, that astounded me so I asked her why? She said "when you finish you have something!" Ah out of the mouths of babes, but it is different than other things you could focus on...as you said!;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pocketwatch
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007 11:07:13 PM »

for me it is an escape because if I am working on something it is the other person's job to ask what, and who for, and so on and my job just to knit and respond.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pepperhem
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007 11:49:12 PM »

nice style and color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007 07:19:10 AM »

At that point, it would seem you have 96 sts total, and have made a seam to the markers a couple of inches above the row you're on now. You knit across those 96 sts (you can use a circ, I don't think you have to use dpns, then pick up 40 stiches in the V left from where you quit seaming - 20 sts on one side of it, 20 on the other side. Join and knit in rounds for the brim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
peacesign
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007 03:57:11 PM »

Thank you so much.
I'll finish the hat..um now?

As for the advice, I don't even know how to thank you. I'm not alone and that is awesome. This just goes to show me what a wonderful and magical place Craftster is! Seriously, you guys saved me, you were an amazing help.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love everything
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007 05:25:44 PM »

In last year's Stitch n Bitch calendar, they had a blurb that said that some doctors have their agoraphobic patients knit in public to reduce their anxiety.  If you knit so you can ignore people, that might be a problem, but if the knitting allows you to talk to people that you might otherwise be too anxious to talk to, that sounds like a positive to me.

I love my shrink, but she doesn't know everything, either.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Side Ponytail
How to Get a Messy Ponytail
How to Get a High Ponytail
How to Get a Basic Ponytail
How to Get Long Hair Updos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...