A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,922
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adult Costume - Ziggy Stardust is back!  (Read 18117 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , david_bowie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 28, 2007 09:59:39 PM »

The manflesh wanted to be Ziggy Stardust for Halloween and I just couldn’t help but offer to help with his costume.  Well, I ended up making pretty much all of it and it was soooo fun.  I used a wetsuit pattern (Kwik Sew 2335) for the body suit modifying the sizing to compensate for the less stretchy fabric and adding the cuffs per Ziggy’s request. Also to satisfy a request, I made up a pattern for the collar.  After sewing that I have a whole new appreciation for why so many quilters pay someone to do the actual quilting… that’s hard! 

Right before guest arrived for his party; we fixed the wig to make it more authentic shortly after this photo was taken:

The final fitting (front):

... and the back:

I was IMing with a friend on the other side of the country who had been Ziggy a couple years ago and when he heard about the project he offered up his platform boots!  And they wear the same size!  Before we’d seen them, there was talk about spray painting them or coating them with glitter, but they have so much potential for future costumes that we decided to come up with some kind of removable cover. I happened to have the gold glitter vinyl, so we agreed to try that. I made a pattern, tweaked it and it worked!  It was his idea to use the laces to attach them and it worked out quite well.

He bought the wig online, had the boa from a previous costume and yes, he also plays guitaaaaarrrrrrrr! (except right-handed)

Oops!  Forgot the in-progress shot!  Here's my assistant double-checking they way I've laid out the pattern pieces.  She really likes to get involved in the projects.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 10:38:41 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: Updated to add in-progress shot, acknowledge helper » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintageburlesque

If I stop sewing I will cease to live.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 04:23:16 AM »

OMG this is awesome and what a great job you have done - even with help from the kitty kat (I always get a helping paw from my wee 5 1/2 month old tomkat Horus - he does love my threads bless him  Grin).  And as for the boots - I wouldn't have known that you had put vinyl covering over them because from a distance they look as though they are the boot!

Excellent job - I'm very impressed with your talent and creativity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I make a mess something good always comes from it.
LetterGhost
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007 11:52:22 AM »

Wow, you did a terrific job on this!! SO friggin' cool--Ziggy Stardust is one of my all-time favourite albums. And your cat is a cutie! I just started sewing, and I've discovered that my roommate's kitty likes to help me pin clothes. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007 08:32:32 PM »

I am speechless. Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007 08:48:33 PM »

Thanks everyone!  He tells me that every single male that saw him at his party said something like "you're freakin me out, man" within the first couple-three sentences.  Not sure exactly why, but him being about 6'6" in the boots, probably contributed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007 01:12:14 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS SOOOOOO COOOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 12:53:47 PM »

This thread totally needs embedded media of Ziggy Stardust.  Ah well, guess I can still use my imagination.  I think it's sooooo awesome that your man would want to dress up for Halloween.  I kept trying ideas on my husband and the last day he decided that, yes, he'll dress up so I won't feel awkward. 
Pretty sweet costume.  It's even better that he was so tall with the boots.  It probably gave him a "presence".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007 01:19:54 PM »

This thread totally needs embedded media of Ziggy Stardust.  Ah well, guess I can still use my imagination.  I think it's sooooo awesome that your man would want to dress up for Halloween.  I kept trying ideas on my husband and the last day he decided that, yes, he'll dress up so I won't feel awkward. 
Pretty sweet costume.  It's even better that he was so tall with the boots.  It probably gave him a "presence".

A less lazy crafter would embed such.  This guy LOVES wearing costumes!  It's really fun through out the process, planning, making and wearing them with him!  Anyway, the boots were unnerving for a lot of people  as he's about 6'4" in them, but since my heels were just as high, he was the same amount taller than me than usual.  I made sure to get a smooch before I put my shoes on, though! 

Anyway, on Halloween night we ended up at a college-aged kids' party (we're in our 30s) and all those people, but one thought that he was the David Bowie character from Labyrinth!  Kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007 01:36:44 PM »

hahaha-- at least they got the David Bowie part sortof right
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
bethanyjoyce
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007 11:38:55 PM »

I know this is way after the fact but this is awesome! My boyfriend was also Ziggy for Halloween. He went for the minimalist white look, so no costume to make, but I did do his lightning bolt makeup  — I had to improvise last minute with lipstick, eyeliners and eyeshadow, but somehow it was recognizable, and it stayed on! (this photo was taken at the end of a long night of halloween parties)  I think your costume is a true testament to Ziggy-era Bowie.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Furry Inch Worms for Kids
How to Make a Baby-Proof Photo Ring
How to Make Handmade Dolls
How to Make Applique Baby Bibs
How to Restore an Old Family Photo Album
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...