A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with tofu?  (Read 5784 times)
Tags for this thread: tofu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

serendipity3_82
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008 09:18:23 PM »

tofu scramble
my familys basic recipe:
1 block of extra firm tofu (drained and pressed for a little bit)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garliiic (minced)
little olive oil
any other veggies hanging out in the fridge[potatoes, spinach, broccoli rabe,etc] (choppped)
a pinch of two of tumeric
salt n' peppa to taste
hot sauce, for you saucy hotties. (optional!)

saute onions until translucent. add the garlic. cook until fragrant. throw in veggies, cook until heated through. crumble tofu with your hands as you put it in with the veggies. dont crumble it too much, as it will get smaller as you stir. sprinkle on tumeric and salt and pepper. stir until your tofu is nice and yellow. cook until heated through. serve with toast, soy sausage, et.c or on its own.

Oh man, that sounds awesome.  I'm having that for breakfast tomorrow.  I'm gonna talk the DB into trying it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onsidewalks

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008 07:10:24 PM »

I tried your tofu scramble recipe franzilovescats, and i just had to tell you how brilliant it was! I totally pigged out on it!
It is SO becoming my life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm gonna try it all ... eventually
govanne
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008 11:56:57 PM »

For stir-fries I marinade tofu in olive oil, soy, garlic, fresh ginger and chilli. Silken tofu is really good in miso-style soups but my favourite tofu recipe is a toasted sarnie. Marinade some tofu cubes in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.Toast the outsides of a cut ciabatta then fill one side with the tofu (making sure that you pour all of the juice on the bread too) place mozzerella and cherry tomatoes on the other piece, season them both and grill until the cheese melts. Put some basil leaves on top of the cheese and sandwich both sides together and enjoy. P.S., it's worth making sure that you've burst the tomatoes before taking a big bite as they can get really hot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limegreenjelly

Lesson One Learnt: Dont Sew Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008 03:34:40 PM »

you can make a tofu curry, my boyfriend came up with the idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adriayna
Transitory Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008 07:21:27 AM »

I've made a wheat-free tofu/broccoli and cheese bake.  Obviously, this is not a vegan dish but is a vegetarian dish Smiley.

You take a block of firm tofu and cut it up into pieces, and combine it with a small container of low fat sour cream and a bag of shredded cheese. Combine this with some fresh broccoli and the tofu and top it with more cheese.  Bake it for 1/2  an hour and enjoy!  Its great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008 06:10:47 PM »

I just made the BEST tofu meal i've had in a long while. Marinated and grilled, topped with a greek salad; the boyfriend made some nummy red pepper hummus to accompany.
Not my own creation, but DEFINITELY worth a try!
http://family.go.com/food/recipe-ew-504803-grilled-tofu-with-a-mediterranean-chopped-salad-t/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008 07:05:22 PM »

use tofu to make a zillion different versions of CHOCOLATE PIE!  (or chocolate pudding!)

So, I don't have an exact recipe, but this is how I make it:

1.  Melt a package of chocolate or carob chips.  I like to use the very dark ones, and I do this step in the microwave...but you could also use a double boiler to do it.
2.  Stir in whatever kind of flavoring you want:  vanilla extract, peanut/cashew/almond butter, marshmallows (you would need a vegan kind), mint essence, orange flavor, etc.  Or, leave it plain!
3.  Mix in one little carton of silken tofu.  Make sure it's silken, and I use the kind that doesn't require refrigeration.  I find it in little wax-lined cardboard boxes at the health food store.  I use a mixer for this step, so that everything gets super creamy.
4.  Use the chocolatey goodness you've just made to fill a pie shell, little tarts, or just put it into individual dishes and serve as "pudding".  Or, make a parfait.  Whatever you do, I would chill it first, and make sure everything solidifies right.  It's kind of thick, but amazingly good. 
5.  SERVE!  you can add fancy things like raspberry sauce/fresh berries and mint leaves/caramelized sugar...whatever you want!

Have fun and let us know if you find a great tofu recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Theheavydress
Cities will fall

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008 04:10:48 PM »

One word.

Miso.

Miso paste makes anything thats being baked amazing!!! The darker the miso the better the flavor! I always add it towards the last 20 minutes or so as to keep all that great flavor intact.

Heres my version of an Asian baked tofu:

I take soy sauce, Rice vinegar, Chinese cooking wine, brown sugar, fresh ginger and sometimes a sprinkle of cumin or cinnamon and boil it in a small sauce pan. After it is at a light boil, I drop in my Thawed tofu (I always freeze) and let it sit for a few minutes (only a few!) afterwards, put the tofu and liquid into an airtight container and shake it like you hate it.

Cut tofu into bout 1/2 inch slabs or get fancy and make triangles! Or hexagons! and lay flat on a greased baking sheet and put into a 350 degree oven. Let cook about 20 minutes or so? and flip. after another 15-20 minutes, I take the tofu out, and spread a light layer of miso on one side, pop it back in, bake until slightly crispy, and then turn and do the other side.

Your tastebuds will thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ain't no dandelion I ever heard could grow in the shade
hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008 11:00:13 AM »

with summer coming, one great way to make tofu is on the bbq!  I use extra firm, cut into cubes and skewer with onion, peppers and cherry tomatoes, marinate for a bit in a (veggie!) teriyaki sauce and grill.  A trick to make the veggies cook through without burning is to put the skewers in a 350 degree oven just until you can smell the veggies . . .about 10 minutes . . .before grilling. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Authors Reveal Their Favorites
Meet Author Philip Smith
Meet Author Jimmy Carter
Meet Food Writer Michael Ruhlman
Roz Savage Reveals Her Favorite Song
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...