A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,931
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with tofu?  (Read 4525 times)
Tags for this thread: tofu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007 09:58:48 AM »

my dad used to put tofu into my smoothies that i had for breakfast, but he hasn't made them in awhile.  i'd tell people this and they'd go "ewwwww!" but you can't taste it with the strawberries, bananas, soy milk, and vanillia (because it gives a little bit of a kick, and it hides the taste of the plain soy milk better).  and it adds good protine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
franzilovescats
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008 10:25:08 AM »

Make a tofu scramble! 

tofu scramble is MY LIFE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity3_82
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008 05:08:34 PM »

my dad used to put tofu into my smoothies that i had for breakfast, but he hasn't made them in awhile.  i'd tell people this and they'd go "ewwwww!" but you can't taste it with the strawberries, bananas, soy milk, and vanillia (because it gives a little bit of a kick, and it hides the taste of the plain soy milk better).  and it adds good protine.

Um yes, tofu smoothies basically are the awesomest smoothies in the world. I may fight someone over this, because that's how much I believe in tofu smoothies.  If any of you get those big boxes of fruit in the fall or winter, and have peaches that are getting too soft, throw a couple in a blender, a chunk of silken tofu, a little water, maybe ice, and a teensy bit of almond extract and OMG! Wonderful.  Same goes with mangoes, except maybe leave out the almond extract.

Speaking of tofu scrambles, does anyone have a homemade version that they really like?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity3_82
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008 05:26:09 PM »

Shoot, double post.

Anyway, I make something like a honey mustard glaze and brush it on slices of tofu then bake it for a bit in the oven.  What tofu lacks in texture, the glaze, since there's honey in it, gives it a little crunch.  I suppose you could use stuff like agave nectar or maple syrup if you're vegan.  I add soy sauce so there's this salty, sweet thing going on.  It's really good.

I really don't have much of a recipe to give you, but these are some of the ingredients.  I experiment with this all the time.

Honey
Dijion mustard
Soy sauce
Chili pepper or cayenne
maybe a little water to thin it out

I mix this together and it shouldn't be too watery, but it needs to be spreadable. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bastelmutti
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008 06:30:25 PM »

A friend of mine used to make a great tofu bolognese spaghetti sauce. It's basically like this recipe(haven't used this particular one, but it's very similar):
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10835

Where it says cook the ground meat, instead substitute tofu that has been drained, crumbled and fried up in a little oil until browned and then seasoned with some Italian spices. I omit the milk and use less olive oil than that.

Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retrolola
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008 10:12:07 PM »

I like blending it in with a smoothie. Makes it thicker, without being too heavy and creamy. Yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onsidewalks

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008 09:13:58 PM »

little confused about tofu scramble...
is it extra firm tofu crumbled into an assortment of veggies?
i've read recipes that have it like that,
but is the idea like a scrambled egg dish with veggies/meat it in?
or is it something else entirely?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm gonna try it all ... eventually
serendipity3_82
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008 06:31:48 PM »

You could scramble the tofu in with veggies, but most 'tofu scrambles' is just crumbled tofu with a mix of spices (like turmeric), salt and pepper.  If you see boxes of tofu scramble in your grocery store, it'll just have packets of a spice mix that you throw in with some tofu and a little oil for frying up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
franzilovescats
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008 04:37:20 PM »

tofu scramble
my familys basic recipe:
1 block of extra firm tofu (drained and pressed for a little bit)
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 cloves garliiic (minced)
little olive oil
any other veggies hanging out in the fridge[potatoes, spinach, broccoli rabe,etc] (choppped)
a pinch of two of tumeric
salt n' peppa to taste
hot sauce, for you saucy hotties. (optional!)

saute onions until translucent. add the garlic. cook until fragrant. throw in veggies, cook until heated through. crumble tofu with your hands as you put it in with the veggies. dont crumble it too much, as it will get smaller as you stir. sprinkle on tumeric and salt and pepper. stir until your tofu is nice and yellow. cook until heated through. serve with toast, soy sausage, et.c or on its own.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
onsidewalks

our hearts pump dust

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008 10:17:32 PM »

oh gaaaawwwddd that sounds amazing!
i am SO gonna try that this weekend.
thanks for clearing up my confusion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm gonna try it all ... eventually
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Dogs
How to Make Corn Chowder
How to Make Deep Fried Beer
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with an Iron
How to Make Beef Jerky
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...