A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: punk rock bleach patches  (Read 24916 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2004 09:02:51 PM »

What do you do when a phantom chinchilla eats the lining of your favorite vintage dream coat?

You patch it up, sillies.

For my patch, I used two different kinds of fabric. The stripey cloth is a cheap cotton that came from Wal-Mart and the black is a heavier canvas-like material. I recommend a heavy, tough fabric for bleach art as it likes to run on thinner cloth.

Go purchase some Soft-Scrub. That's correct: I said potty cleaner, kids. It's like bleach, but thicker, and the stuff works magic on fabric. Make sure you get the kind that actually contains bleach! No lemon scent! It does not work.

Put some of the Soft-Scrub into a bottle with a tiny, precise point. If you're poor, try an old hair color bottle or a cleaned out puffy paint tube. Use the bleach to write or draw on the thick fabric, and make certain that your letters aren't too close together as sometimes the bleach will bleed a bit.

Put your patch on a paper plate or newspaper and let the bleach dry until it crusts over and cracks. Leaving it overnight is a good move. Then, brush off and wash the patch, and ta da! Instant punk rock.

I then stitched my "libby" patch to some pretty stripey cloth, and sewed it over the chinchilla hole in my coat. All fixed! Thank god.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Sukicat

I'm not a sheep!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004 08:41:03 AM »

you know, they also have new gel bleach pens out that might work better on thinner fabrics Cool that is a great idea! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004 09:29:57 AM »

What do you do when a phantom chinchilla eats the lining of your favorite vintage dream coat?

Soooo cool. I'd love to see a pic of it on the jacket. I'm such a sucker for vintage coats.

I thought I'd also mention that it you don't feel like sewing your patch on, you can just pin it on with a silver safety pin on each side of the patch. The safety pins should show from the outside -- as it is oh so much more punk that way!  Wink

I was once at an "alternative craft fair" where these women made frayed cloth patches like yours but they machine-embroidered bands names on them and then just sold them with two safety pins for a couple if bucks. I still have my Smiths one on my messenger bag two years later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
marisa

making it up as we go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004 01:29:05 PM »

oh this could be fun for all kinds of things.  i don't want to unpunk it, but you could do really easy fake batik this way.
i wanna see the coat too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004 03:38:19 PM »

you know, they also have new gel bleach pens out that might work better on thinner fabrics Cool that is a great idea! Cheesy

I have one but I am not very pleased with the results yet. The bleach is thin and runs and the point of the pen is not very fine. But we keep trying, yes!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004 03:40:44 PM »

oh this could be fun for all kinds of things.  i don't want to unpunk it, but you could do really easy fake batik this way.
i wanna see the coat too!

No, fake batik is really cool! Screw the punk thing...you can use the bleach art for lots of things. My favorite is the Rasputina tank top I made that was mistaken for Dolce&Gabbana when I visited NYC. heehee!

I will try to get a picture of my coat for you guys. It's magical, really. It's a black faux fur 1970s knee-length a-line coat with huge lapels and a zigzag pattern in the fur on the skirt. yay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004 08:51:37 AM »

http://designer.cloroxbleachpen.com/savvy.cfm     Link to thebleach pen site..there are some stencils there.  Actualyl a really good bold set of uppercase alphabeet ones that i use quite often.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yousmellspecial
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004 01:22:36 PM »

carpe, i'd love to see a picture of that jacket and the top, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004 06:49:12 PM »

Here is a scan of my Rasputina tank top (a poor scan at that), rendered in the same fashion as the patch for my coat (sorry, no shot of that thing).

This is just a cheap muscle tank I got at Target, which gave me an excuse to run about in the men's undies section. heehee.

When you bleach black fabric with Soft Scrub, the area bleached often turns pink or salmon orange due to the fibers and the red undertones in the dye. I've also done this to a red teeshirt and the letters turned white. I guess it's the dye content.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004 06:50:10 PM by carpejugulum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Lenae
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004 07:58:56 PM »

carpejugulum, I love your rasputina tank top!  I never knew you could use soft scrub.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Marquee Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with the Crop Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing the Crop Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Customize Your View
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Navigator Palette
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...