A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Awesome fabrics store in Berkeley/Bay Area  (Read 3420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pixiefart

Im a blue footed booby

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2004 06:56:36 PM »

Stone Mountain Daughter (Shattuck Ave in Berkeley) is one of the most wonderful fabric stores in existence. They have a wonderful selection of fine fabrics and accessories. My mom has been shopping there since they opened in 1981. Independent Crafts stores seem to be disapearing left and right around here. Im really glad Mountain Daughter is still around.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art.
OldQlts
shop with me on ebay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004 09:44:26 PM »

yep, stonemountain is a great store!! i haven't seen such a selection of fabric since neuwelt's in lafayette, indiana went out of business about 15 years ago!

one of these days i'm gonna get to britex in SF. have you been there? i also recently heard about a "cheap" fabric store near 3rd & brannan in SF. would you happen to know the name of that one? thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrairiePrimitives is my eBay ID. I tried to put a link here, but it didn't work. Sad
leslieduckie
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004 12:05:24 PM »

Hey there, I love Stone Mountain's Daughter, they're really helpful people and great cottons selection. I just signed up for some beginner sewing classes there, I can't wait! =)

Also, to answer your question OldQlts, I made my piligrimmage to Britex, which is 4 beautiful floors of fabric and notions, but oh so pricey. The second store you're talking about is Discount Fabrics (warehouse) on 4th and Brannan, which is super inexpensive but has lots of great fabric. There are 4 Discount Fabric Outlets in the Bay Area, but the Warehouse is the biggest one I think:

Discount Fabrics (warehouse)
525 4th Street @ Bryant, San Francisco. Tel. 415.495.4201. Big warehouse packed with bolts of useful, basic fabrics and some exotics, all at low prices. Nice velvets and brocades.

Discount Fabrics
3006 San Pablo (corner of Ashby and San Pablo), Berkeley. Tel. 510.548.2981

Here's a great link to all Bay Area fabric stores: http://www.gbacg.org/Fabric.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
Pixiefart

Im a blue footed booby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004 12:57:07 PM »

Thanxs for the link leslieduckie. Hope you love the sewing class...... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art or wear a work of art.
halfbakedcake
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005 08:40:39 AM »

Britex isn't so pricey if you hit the sale tables and the remnants...you can get some really cool stuff for not terribly much (got a cool retro cherry print for $1.99 a yard last time I was there). They DO have some insaaaaanly priced stuff, tho---stuff I'm afraid to touch!

If I get out to Berkeley the next time I'm in the area, I'll have to check out Stone Mountain Daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my frozen food reviews and see my latest projects at http://www.shescrafty.org
leslieduckie
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005 09:58:32 PM »

Oh I didn't know they had a sale table, I'll keep that in mind when I'm around downtown. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
www.feistyelle.com
halfbakedcake
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005 02:47:38 PM »

Oh I didn't know they had a sale table, I'll keep that in mind when I'm around downtown. Thanks!

No prob. Hey, if weren't for sale tables, I wouldn't even be able to afford fabric at Joann.
I think it's on the 2nd floor, remnants on 3rd if I remember correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my frozen food reviews and see my latest projects at http://www.shescrafty.org
muchachaK
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005 05:43:15 PM »

I like Silk Road in downtown Oakland...it's on 14th St. right downtown and it's open everyday.  Lucky me it's like a block from my house...but I don't think a lot of people know it's there because it's so quiet downtown on the weekends...Stone Mountain is indeed wonderful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
leslieduckie
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005 10:32:43 PM »

I've wandered into Silk Road before because I work in downtown Oakland, right next to City Hall. I was really intent for some athletic nylon stuff they didn't have so I can't recall too much. I do remember that they had some really nice raw-looking silks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
www.feistyelle.com
muchachaK
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005 08:51:08 PM »

Yes, they do have wicked silks, in gorgeous colors, I actualy posted a bag a little while ago that was made form some silk dupioni that I got there...their silk brocades are amazing too--and pricey Wink ...the fabrics types are a little limited for me at times because they specialize in special occasion and bridal stuff...but the stock they do have is really lovely, their buyer has a really nice eye for design...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Horse Saves Troubled Teen
Interview with ‘Words and Pictures’ Star Bruce Davison
Chelsea Cain Introduces Her Blockbuster New Series
Arun Gandhi, Bethany Hegedus, and Evan Turk on Grandfather Gandhi
This Woman Is Trying To Bring Attention To Female Genital Mutilation In US
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...