A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch dictionaries -Barbara Walker or Vogue Stitchionary?  (Read 529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2007 06:16:59 AM »

I'm trying to put together my Christmas wish list and I want to get some stitch dictionaries.  I know I want to get at least one of Barbara Walker's Treasuries, but I'm trying to figure out if I should also ask for Vogue Stitchionaries.  For those of you who have used either of these sources, how would you say they compare?  What are the advantages/ disadvantages of each book?

I have found that I like the clear color images of each stitch pattern in the Vogue books.  Barbara Walker's charts sometimes confuse me, but she has such a plethora of stitches in those books, and they're certainly considered classics and used by many designers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
fallencupid
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007 06:33:10 AM »

I've looked thru a couple of the Vogue Stitchionary books and I like them. I've never looked at any of Barbara Walker's books, but they tend to get high recommendations on Amazon.

You already sound like you know what you want. You said you like the swatches in the Vogue book and you got confused by Barbara's books sometimes.

Some of the stitch pattern swatches on Lionbrand are some that are actually in the Vogue books. So that can kind of give you an idea of Vogue's books.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=272

I say go for the book that you think you'll be most comfortable with. The only bummer thing is they use the same color each time for all swatches, but I think (if I am recalling correctly) they use other colors later on in the book. This is just something I myself don't care about the book. I like seeing different colored swatches, but that is just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007 05:38:41 PM »

I bought the Vogue ones because Barnes & Noble had them for half-price last month.  (Sadly, the sale is over.)  I may want to get the Barbara Walker ones eventually, too, but I only have so much shelf space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Superhero Origins: Banshee
Comic Con - Damaged - Sam Worthington Interview
How to Drew a Picture Book
Superhero Origins: Havok
The Origins of Popeye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...