A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,788
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted coathangers - daggy or desirable?  (Read 5818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mayerlove
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007 12:26:18 PM »

I really like these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
crocodisle
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007 01:09:56 PM »

I think they're pretty and all, and you obviously spent time on them, but no, it's not something I'd want as a gift. My grandmother would probably like them..? Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007 02:45:39 PM »

Well, just from a veteran recipient:
My aunt sent me a trio of these one Christmas when I was about 12, and I confess to being underwhelmed.... Undecided

However, I managed to hold on to them for a few years and, by the time I was out of college and my taste had matured, I realized just how elegant and practical they were. Now they do an elegant job of holding those slinky garments that would otherwise slide right off a regular hanger  Roll Eyes. (And I LOVE your blue one, especially, with its lacey skirt....none of mine are that fancy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisedpeach22

But why is all the rum gone??

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007 02:54:34 PM »

They are really lovely and i could definitely use a few for some of my tank tops but giving them as gifts is definitely dependent on the recipient. My mother would love to receive them ( and i think you've just given me an idea for her birhtday) but most of the people my age and younger wouldn't be terribly thrilled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

url]
Wist
Craftini
Is it time for a martini?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007 03:18:41 PM »

However, I managed to hold on to them for a few years and, by the time I was out of college and my taste had matured, I realized just how elegant and practical they were. Now they do an elegant job of holding those slinky garments that would otherwise slide right off a regular hanger  Roll Eyes.
OMG! I can't believe I never had that revelation. Now it all makes sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007 03:25:39 PM »

I think they are beautiful, and I would use them because we always seem to be short on hangers!

Now they do an elegant job of holding those slinky garments that would otherwise slide right off a regular hanger  Roll Eyes.

I think especially for this use, it would be nice if they had a little button sewn on the top of each side, to keep little spaghetti straps from sliding off, or hanging the loopy ribbon things in skirts (do they have a name??). As they are I think they're perfect for sweaters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
thunderlora
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007 07:26:43 PM »

How about daggy and desirable. Ha.

I have some fugly lace ones - which are the best thing for keeping garments with wide necklines on the hanger. Yours are much, much better, and elegant in an understated sort of way.
Maybe you could make little vintage style labels for your pressies that explain how terribly useful they are. It took me ages to figure it out too.

It's funny how my sexist littlest numbers need the nanaerist coathangers...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Selling my stuff: www.FloraGeorge.etsy.com
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007 08:15:31 PM »

Those are really lovely and I agree with the others who've mentioned how practical they are; for your slinkies as well as knits that get stretched at the shoulders from plastic or wood hangers.  I don't have enough room to fold all my knits and sweaters so I'm a big fan of padded hangers and like to have a few around.  I don't know much of anything about wool yarn (or knitting at all), but I'd be a little concerned about the lanolin staining things... of course, I could be paranoid out of ignorance.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007 08:34:10 PM »

I think these are lovely and I would be excited to receive them as a gift.  But, I have to agree with the other posters who said that it really depends on who you're gifting them to.  There are some people on my list that don't really appreciate the effort that goes into a handmade gift and I think it would be a total waste of my time to make something like this for them.

Also, I think it's a good idea to think about whether the giftees would like them if you had purchased them instead of made them yourself. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chrissie_r
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007 09:26:14 PM »

I would love to receive these as a gift. I wish my whole closet had only padded hangers!

They're a gift I'd love to make (and have the patterns to make for myself!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Plastic Hair Rollers
How to Use Hair Setting Lotion
How to Use Aloe Vera on Your Hair
How to Do 1940s Hairstyles
How to Use Hair Rods
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...