A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do you start?  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nightal1031
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007 04:33:08 PM »

i learned from a book, some cheap needles (get aluminum ones... i started with wooden ones and they kept getting caugt on things) and some cheap acrylic yarn from walmart and practiced till i got the hang of it. Smiley good luck getting started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
autumnxbutterfly
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007 05:24:32 PM »

This is great Cheesy I took some birthday money from my Papaw and bought a kit with a book called "I Taught Myself Knitting" and allllll kinds of little stuff that I don't even know what it is. LOL I have officially "casted on"! I didn't make the tail long enough so I have to start over but at least I did it right! Check it out!

My first attempt at a knitting project is this:
http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/diamondsgalore.html
Simple enough you think?

Stay tuned for more progress.... LOL

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 05:26:47 PM by autumnxbutterfly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnxbutterfly
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007 05:44:58 PM »

OK I am already confused  Huh I have casted on the required 43 stitches. The next direction is to knit two rows. Two rows of how many? And how do I move to the next row? And then the directions don't make sense. The amount of knits and purls don't total 43 so wouldn't that make it uneven? I don't mean to sound dumb I am just totally confused.

Directions:
Cast on 43 stitchess or multiples of 13+4 stitches for 2 stitch border

Knit 2 rows for border

Row 1: K6,*P5, K8* K5,end K6
Rows 2 and 14: (RS) K2, P3, *k7,P6* K7, end P3, K2
Rows 3 and 13: K4, *P4,K1,P4,K4* P4, K1, P4, end K4
Rows 4 and 12: K2, P1 *K4,P3,K4,P2* K4, P3, K4, end P1, K2
Rows 5 and 11: K2,P4, *K5,P8* end K5, P4, K2
Rows 6 and 10: K5, *P7,K6* K7, end K5
Rows 7 and 9: K2, P2, *K9,P4* K9, end P2, K2
Row 8: K3, P11, *K2,P11* end K3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnxbutterfly
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007 06:15:43 PM »

One more question and I will have to give up on this for tonight  Undecided After you cast on, what do you do with the tail left over? It is in my way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autumnxbutterfly
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007 07:03:23 PM »

You could go to the library and check out some beginner books like the  Teach Yourself Visually Knitting book. 

Thanks for the book link Smiley I ordered it and will put the needles aside until comes. LOL
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 07:16:04 PM by autumnxbutterfly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007 07:16:14 PM »

One more question and I will have to give up on this for tonight  Undecided After you cast on, what do you do with the tail left over? It is in my way.

I cut the tail, leaving at least 6 inches to weave into the work later when I'm done.

As far as that pattern you're working on, I looked at it and I think the instructions are worded poorly. I don't exactly understand what you're supposed to do.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007 07:25:14 PM »

In my experience, the older generation loves to help pass these skills on to the younger ... and you can find many of these ladies in the care centers, assisted living, and in churches (you don't have to be a member!). And, you would be giving them something to DO and making them feel valuable and needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ameythestlily
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007 07:33:20 PM »

ok So reading your insturctions it says the pattern is multiples of 13 plus 4 stitches (the 4 stitches leave a border on either end of your work so you start off knitting 2 and end the row knitting 2) 
So in your pattern it could also read
K2 - k4,* p5, k8,* k5, k4 - k2 (30 stitches)
now the stitches in between the * are your repeats so with your 43 stitches it would read like this
k2 - k4, p5, k8, p5, k8, k5, k4 - k2

you would ready the rest of the pattern the same way
When it tells you to knit 2 rows that's just what it means....knit all 43 stitches for 2 rows then start your pattern
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 07:36:06 PM by Ameythestlily » THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Flesh Tones by Setting the Gray Point
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the White Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the Black Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Target Shadows and Highlights
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Restore an Image After Adjusting Levels
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...