A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,896
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do you start?  (Read 1344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

autumnxbutterfly
« on: October 27, 2007 08:12:23 PM »

For all you guys that know how to knit, how did you learn? It's something I've been wanting to know how to do for a long time but I don't know anyone who could teach me and couldn't afford the money or time to take a class (or would even know where a class would be offered.) I saw some great videos on knittinghelp.com but I still didn't know what they were talking about.  Huh Any thoughts? I wouldn't even know what kind of yarn to buy. Or if knitters even use "yarn" for that matter. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007 09:20:37 PM »

You could go to the library and check out some beginner books like the Stitch 'n' Bitch Handbook by Debbie Stroller or the Teach Yourself Visually Knitting book.  They explain things pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007 09:28:59 PM »

I taught myself from a booklet when I was in high school. It's not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Try the site knittinghelp.com. Videos of everything from how to begin to how to end. Plus free patterns, and a great forum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Ameythestlily
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007 09:34:07 PM »

well I retaught myself w/ The Idiots guide to Knitting and Crochet. Of course that won't help you much cause I think its out of print. but I second knittinfiasco. get one of those books read through and then try knittinghelp.com again. After reading the books the vidoes might make a little more sense
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007 10:02:05 PM »

I definitely understand how you feel.
My advice would be to find an older knitting book with lots of pictures. That being said, I didn't find "Stitch and Bitch" too incredibly helpful in actually teaching me to knit, it did do an amazing job of explaining alot of knitting terms and ideas.

I learned mostly from a Readers Digest book, I can look up the exact title if you want. As a bonus it also has stuff on crochet, tatting and various other needle arts. :] The projects are a  bit outdated but its a good resource.

I also used videos off the internet to show me exactly how the stitches  were done.....

Ummm like a previous poster suggested books from the library are a good idea that way you can flip through them before buying.

Hope to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007 10:15:40 PM »

I checked out about every book I could find about knitting from my local library.  Cheesy Then, when those turned out to be no help at all, I went to a used bookstore, found several old learn-how-to-knit books and even a few that included used straight needles. They had lots of pics and drawings in them as well as intelligible written instructions. Most included basic explanations about things like gauge, some trickier (more advanced) techniques, and several old patterns for things like scarves, cabled hobo bags, hats, etc also.

Then, when I got stuck, I went to knittinghelp.com to figure out what I was doing wrong and to check that I was doing everything else right. I had been doing my purl stitches wrong for weeks until I found that site. lol. It's really great for the more visual learners. Good luck!

And just a little advice: don't listen to the books when they tell you the "right" way to hold the yarn. Books, especially the older ones, generally show several methods that have you twisting the yarn all around your fingers and that can sometimes lead to a big knotted mess. Just do what's comfortable for you. If it turns out you hold your needles and yarn differently than most knitters, who cares? There's really no right or wrong when it comes to that. Just do what feels most comfortable to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
autumnxbutterfly
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007 08:13:25 AM »

Thank you guys so much Smiley I will have to look into some of those books. I will keep you updated on my progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
keeperrox
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007 11:47:12 AM »

I recently taught myself how to knit as well.  I found the instructions at The Yarn Company to be really good.  It might seem silly, but I liked how they over-explained things.  If you can learn how to do something by reading instructions as opposed to pictures or video, then definitely check it out.

http://www.theyarnco.com/instruction.php
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 11:50:34 AM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007 03:36:06 PM »

You could go to the library and check out some beginner books like the  Teach Yourself Visually Knitting book. 

This is how I taught myself to knit. I paid $16ish for it at amazon.com and it's been great. I'm not really a book learner, but the book is just full of colored photos and it's a GREAT teacher.

I got some cheap yarn at walmart and size 8 aluminum needles and sat down with the book and that was that. As time goes on, you'll learn more here and in your book/s and you'll slowly start buying different notions and yarns if you get interested- But basic knitting, for me, only required size 8 needles and some cheap yarn.

here is a link to the book I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Visually-Knitting/dp/0764596403/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8926063-1186002?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193611120&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007 03:39:24 PM by PaperBag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hyspirit
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007 03:55:34 PM »

I totally agree with the stitch'n bitch book, I have it and it is a life savor for almost any problem I have ever encountered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He smells good, he really does! He smells like root beer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Finishing the Werewolf Makeup
How to Set the Werewolf Makeup
Face Painting - Tiger Face Details
Final Touches for the Tiger Face
Using a Pencil Sketch of the Tiger Face
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...