A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trinity Stitch Hat (tons of pix!) *Now with Pattern!*  (Read 89773 times)
Tags for this thread: slouchy_hat , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BreadnBadger

Badgers give me strength

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2007 01:48:48 PM »

Hi-o!
I just finished this slouchy beret a few days ago! I've been wearing it almost everyday since then. Smiley
The pattern is my own, and it's using the Trinity stitch, which is one of my favorites even though it's a bit tricky to do. It worked great for a small project like a hat. The trick was doing the crown decreases in a manner that preserved the stitch pattern as much as possible. The pattern is a multiple of 4 sts, so I decreased 5 sts down to 1 in four spots around the top, every other row. I think it turned out really well!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2077/1762380091_a322db4eb1.jpg?v=0

There are more photos at my Flickr account if you wanna see 'em. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/breadnbadger/) Thanks for looking!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, here's the pattern I worked up.
I didn't take notes while knitting this one, so I apologize if anything is off about the pattern. I don't think gauge is especially crucial for a loose beret, but keep in mind that this stitch pattern pulls in width-wise a lot. My gauge measurement was taken after the hat was finished, and it's sort of an estimate. If you want to swatch the pattern (it's great to practice this pattern a bit anyway, since you really need to make sure your stitches are very loose!!) make sure to remember to *purl* on all the RS rows instead of knitting (only for the *SWATCH* since you're knitting back and forth instead of in the round. Follow the pattern exactly when making the actual hat in the round!).

Size: about 21" around the bottom of the ribbing section, it was tighter before I wore it a while and stretched it out, maybe more like 17"
Yarn:  I skein Araucania Nature Wool Chunky (I used almost the entire 132 yds)
Needles: 9 US dpns, 10.5 US dpns
Gauge: 24 sts x 10 rows = 4"x4" on larger needles in Trinity Stitch

Trinity/Blackberry Stitch pattern (worked in the round on a multiple of 4 sts):
row 1 (WS) - *(k1, p1, k1) into same st; p3tog;* rep from *.
row 2 -  knit.
row 3 - *p3tog; (k1, p1, k1) into same st;* rep from *.
row 4 - knit

*Note: The hat is knit inside-out, with the st patt on the inside. If you're using a circular needle, you can flip in rightside-in occasionally to try it on!

CO 69 sts with smaller needle. Join (without twisting sts) and k the first and last sts tog - this makes a nice finished join that is barely noticeable. PM at the beginning of the round. Work k1, p1 ribbing for 1.5 inches.
Next row: Using larger needles *k2, m1; * rep from *; Throw in an extra inc halfway around and again at the end. You should have 104 sts. (You must have a multiple of 4 for the st patt.)
Continue in Trinity st patt until hat measures 7 inches from co edge, finishing with row 1 of patt.

Here comes the tricky part.  You will be decreasing one entire bobble at a time.

Place 4 markers evenly around (one should be the begining of the round marker), making sure they are after a p3tog.
On the next row (row 2, a knit row) decrease 4 bobbles: k to 5 sts before a marker and decrease next 5 sts into 1 as follows: sl 3 knit-wise (one at a time); *pass 2nd st on right needle over first (center); sl center st back to left needle, pass next st over it;* rep from *, k remaining st. Continue in this way for the rest of the row.

Follow rows 3, 4, and 1 of patt. On next row 2, repeat decreases. Continue decreasing on every row 2 until there are only 16 sts left. k2tog across the row - you will only have 8 sts left. (Note: I actually think I started the k2tog rows earlier than this, following in patt on the RS rows. I can't remember what I did, so you might have to experiment a little. Thread some waste yarn into all the sts on a row so you can unravel to that point if you need to. You can try out different dec techniques all you want after that).

Break yarn with 8" tail and pull through remaining sts. Weave in ends and you're done!

I didn't block this hat, but you could if you wanted to. The ribbing seemed really tight when I first tried it on, but it has loosened up to the perfect width after a short while.
----------------------------------------------------
I learned the 5-to-1 dec from Jodi Green's "Mariah" sweater pattern, who I suspect learned it from Alice Starmore in her book Aran Knitting. There might be an easier way to dec in the patt, but this worked for me and it looks great!

A simpler chunky, slouchy hat pattern can be found here: http://www.knitandtonic.typepad.com/leslouchrev.pdf
It's "Le Slouch" by Wendy Bernard of Knit and Tonic, whose hat originally inspired me. She uses seed stitch or stockinette for her pattern, so it's better for a beginner knitter.

I really hope this is accurate. It makes sense to me anyway, so let me know if you find any errors. I'd also love to see other people's versions, as this is my first pattern ever!
-Amanda
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011 09:54:40 PM by sarahj2001 - Reason: Changed broken image to a link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.breadandbadger.com
Modern hand-etched glass homegoods and pendants

http://www.breadandbadger.etsy.com
Etsy shop for Bread and Badger

http://www.silversquirrel.etsy.com
Discounted handmade jewelry--Home of the Giant Goldfish Pendant!
roseinbloom1023
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007 01:57:52 PM »

ohh! I was just about to order a similar hat from urban outfitters!  Because I can only knit in a rectangle, ha.
but yours looks spectacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crocodisle
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007 04:50:31 PM »

Very, very cute. It looks great on you! Would you maybe be interested in posting the pattern so I can make a purple one for my best friend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
speakeasy
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007 05:13:44 PM »

I love it! Great job! The color is beautiful as well. Oh I just love a good slouchy beret and yours is just wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supergingergenius
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007 05:22:56 PM »

i've been trying to use the trinity stitch for a hat too  Cheesy-- but sadly, mine is not cooperating. are you doing yours like p3tog, k1,p1,k1 into next stich (repeat) and then a purl row? thats what im doing, and it hasn't turned out nearly as good as yours   Undecided
anyways, your hat looks so cute and i love the gray
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007 08:33:09 PM »

looks great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
untilstarsfall
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007 09:57:16 PM »

WOW, that's beautiful!! I usually avoid following patterns whenever possible but I would ADORE a pattern for this. I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007 10:10:35 PM »

OOoooh.  I would also love a pattern.  I just got some Auracania on Thursday and have been wanting to make a hat from it.  I CO for the elizabethtown hat, but then I discovered that a lot of people had issues with the pattern so I've kind of put it aside for now.  Your hat is awesome and it fits you perfectly!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
sakuralulu
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007 10:12:56 PM »

This is so cute! I wish I could knit well enough to make something with actual shape! I am getting there...but I think it is going to take me awhile. If you do post a pattern I will have to book mark it to make at a later date...

Great job! How long have you been knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gummy
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007 11:26:48 PM »

I also would love to have a pattern.  I've recently discovered these slouchy hats (I guess I live under an unfashionable rock) and yours is exactly what I have been thinking about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicaljennybella.b logspot.com

Ravelry: Jennybella
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Equestrian-Inspired Elbow Patches to Your Sweater or Blazer
Reese Witherspoon Sparkles in Louis Vuitton, in London
Black and White Gown Fashion at the SAG Awards
Jennifer Lawrence Gets Glam in Prada to Announce the Oscar Nominees
See Our Favorites From the Jason Wu For Target Line Up Close and Personal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...