A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a little girl with everything & a craft-hating mother--4 PICS ON PG 5  (Read 7624 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ica171
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007 09:48:51 PM »

Actually, someone--I think my other sister--bought her Play-Doh and Crayola markers and Crayola fingerpaints last Christmas.  I got her this giant lazy susan-type thing that had crayons, pencils, watercolors, oil pastels, and markers in it and paper to go with it.  Both of those things never left my mom's house nor did she ever play with them.  In fact, I believe my son used up the last of the stuff not too long ago.

I do feel bad for her that she's almost being forcibly kept from being creative.  My mom taught me to sew when I was six, and of her four daughters I'm the only one who's remotely crafty or sees the value in making something rather than buying it.  Of the three nieces one has shown an interest in crafting and her mother kind of had an annoyed attitude about it.  (She's the one who's getting knitting needles this year.)  My 3 year old son loves to help me sew, so I know it's something she could do, but since she's so ill-behaved I'm leery of letting her around sharp objects. 

I suggested the blanket and pillow to my mom and she really likes it.  I think she's going to make her that.

For me, I'm pretty much decided on making her some hair stuff.  She has a ton of beautiful blonde hair that's always hanging in her face, so there's no reason not to use whatever I give her, like that makes a difference.  But I was thinking a couple headbands that have the woven ribbons on them, a couple headbands that are covered in ribbon and have big floppy bows (awww), a few barrettes and a few hair ties, both of those probably decorated with fabric flowers or butterflies or something.  Stuff that's not too difficult that I can do while watching TV, basically. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007 09:35:55 AM »

Bless your heart!  You're in a really tough, sad situation and handling it in an ethical way.  At 3 it's certainly not her fault she's the way she is and it's difficult to be generous of time and spirit when it seems like a no-win situation.  Congratulations on your efforts and on tackling this early on so you're not stressed with it right up to the last minute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RosiePosie
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007 01:49:34 PM »

I was just shopping today for my niece who is about to turn 4. I bought her a bunch of dress up stuff since that's what she's into right now. I found quite a bit of it on the Halloween 50% off racks from Princess type costumes and accessories. I figured with the lead paint scare right now that it would be the least likely stuff to end up in her mouth, lol. I also made her a stuffed pony, cause she had asked for a My Little Pony (guess where those are made though Wink )
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007 10:42:51 PM »

I would do hair accessories!  My mom used to make me all kinds of barrettes and scrunchies and headbands when I was young, and I loved them  Wink

Etching glass is also really really easy.  There's a really good tutorial here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17742.0 which is how I learned.  It's for glassware, but once you get started, you'll want to etch everything!  I've been doing glasses and candle holders for Christmas this year, very inexpensive and easy, although, probably not quite appropriate for a three year old.  A little hand mirror would be nice though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art_babe
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007 02:04:42 AM »

I agree with the idea of giving her memories over gifts. She sounds like she could use an alternative perspetive about creativity in her life and who better to offer than you!! I say teach her an awesome craft, cookie decoration, fingerpainting, something or other to get her involved in creating while enjoying giving your gift to her.

Something small that reminds her of your special event would be goo to put in the box to open on x-mas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POTTER?? Handbuilder? If you want craftster to add a ceramics board let everyone know!!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170834.0
hammer79
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007 09:02:34 AM »

I was just reminiscing about my aunts.  My mom and her sisters have gone through lots of creative spells.  My mom still has craft supplies left from yarn dolls, pillowcase dolls, fans with floral arrangements, a variety of crafts made from plastic canvas....  The list goes on.  I remember them getting together occasionally to have a crafting night.

As a child I'd visit grandpa and grandma's house for a week...  Sometimes visiting one of my aunts.  I remember making stuff with her a couple times.  None of my cousins really seem to have picked up on any of their moms creativity.  My brother isn't even really all that creative.  My mom doesn't craft as much anymore, though she does work at Hobby Lobby.  Her latest thing is embroidery, splurged on a machine.

I love making people gifts.  Though I try to tow the line between made and store bought.  I'm sure that your craftsmanship is excellent.  Mine sometimes is not.  That's the only way I would maybe see your sister's point.  However, shoddy technique doesn't sound like its a problem.  I've gone through more money sometimes on redos than if I'd just bought the gift to begin with.

I hope that you're able to foster some memories with your niece.  She's young yet and may still be impressionable, even if it doesn't show up for another couple years.  Still, you're doing good things and considering items that she'd enjoy and you're putting a lot of effort into it.  It certainly is *easier* to buy an item, but sometimes not as valuable.

I've rambled enough, just thought I'd share a memory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007 11:29:08 AM »

Speaking of memories...

I remember being 5 or 6, and being given a beautifully crafted dolly, and in remembering it, it must have taken hours and hours to create.  But the gifter insisted her name was emma, and there was a mean girl in my class named emma, so I hated the doll.  It breaks my heart to remember that memory.  Oh, I didn't say out loud that I hated it.  I was thankful and polite, but that doll never got the love it deserved.  (I wish I could turn back time...)

I guess my point is that young children, whether their parents point it out or not, (my mom rocks, and always told me to appreciate those sort of things), a kid just can't always understand the concept of "time and hard work went into this".  So the barrette idea sounds perfect!  It doesn't sound like it will take hours, but yet it has the same amount of thoughtfulness that any other handmade gift has.   My suggestion, don't spend too much time on it.  Another idea... I have a three yr old party to go to this Saturday, and I plan on making Dora's backpack.  It's an easy character to copy, and I hope that the little girlwill be excited!!!  She would be no less excited at a store bought one, but fleece was on sale, and my budget is also tight!  And I ton't think it will take too long, so if her interst isn't there, it won't be a big deal!!!

Good luck!  I hope you get to pass on some of "you" to your neice... sounds like she needs it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007 09:35:14 AM »

This has been a great post with awesome contributions!  I want to add that I've crafted for 3-8 year olds that didn't seem to impressed at first, but then I would hear back from the parents that they LOVED the gift and used it all the time.  One 5-AND-A-HALF year-old would even drag every adult that came to the house into his room and show them what I "made just for me! She didn't buy any of it, she made it."  Of course, these parents encourage that, but I just want other crafters to know that with younger kids, sometimes the reaction is delayed and not to be too discouraged at first.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007 04:23:08 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: typos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

susankg53
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007 03:40:50 PM »

gotta add my two cents worth here, the dress up kit could stay at Grandma's house and maybe the two of them could play dress up and have a tea party and start teaching the wild child that sitting still can be a ton of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristianne88

Skulls & Leopard Print... How Could U Go Wrong?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007 09:27:39 PM »

What about one of those Biscuit cooking kits? Where you give her all the ingredients in a jar and her and her mummy can make them together, then it's her  mum's fault if the present is crappy and doesnt want to help her make it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using Graphic Symbols
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Audio, Swapping Symbols and Testing a Movie
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Animations
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing Keyframes, the Transform Tool and Tweening
Macromedia Flash 8 - Duplicating Library Items
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...