A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a little girl with everything & a craft-hating mother--4 PICS ON PG 5  (Read 8130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ica171
« on: October 26, 2007 11:04:03 PM »

So this year for Christmas I (well, my 3-year-old son) have drawn my 3-year-old niece.  Money is extremely tight, and although we have a $20 budget I'd like to spend much less and craft her something.  It pretty much has to look storebought because her mother thinks that everything that's not storebought is crappy, and that you should not ever spend less than $20 on a gift if that's your budget. 

I don't make her clothes, because I spent hours making her a beautiful dress and coat that her mother never let her wear.  It was homemade, after all, although it was some of my best work. Angry  I had thought about making her a "princess kit," with a dress, boa, tiara, wand,  and necklace, but she is incredibly destructive and it will probably be ruined within a week.  I had also thought about paper dolls but dismissed them for the same reason.

So does anyone have any ideas?  I saw another poster who had made coloring book pages of her kids, I was thinking of giving her a book of those with some crayons.  I have a few misgivings about this because I made her a beautiful handpainted box with her name painted on it in fancy lettering last year.  I filled it with art supplies.  We celebrate Christmas at my mother's house and the box has never left there.

At this point I'm just very discouraged and frustrated with the whole thing and thinking about asking to switch to a different child.  But before I do I thought I'd ask if anyone had any advice or suggestions for me here.  Thanks in advance.   Smiley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007 07:31:26 PM by ica171 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

violet71
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007 05:11:39 AM »

Some people! Im sure Im not the only one on here who would say a handmade gift would mean 100 times more to me than a shop bought one, but I guess thats why we all get along so well on here we all have that in common!
To be honest if it were me I would probably buy the child something very inexpensive and small and tell the mother that money is tight and as you dont like handmade gifts that was all I could come up with.
Surely she will be pleased with anything as long as its shop bought Wink
Good luck x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinkies
Creatalicious!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007 05:26:26 AM »

What about doing half store-bought/half home made?

Maybe buy her a small doll, like a "Groovy Girl" then make her some outfits?  Or a blanket and pillow?

People like that drive me NUTS Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen/Jinkies

Currently swapping:

Once You Pop Halloween - SOD  9/27
rhino
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007 06:02:40 AM »

what about a mirror? stain it etch the glass with her name and a floral or celtic design in the corners? hair accessories to go with the mirror gift.

pillows are always a good gift spell out her name with each pillow or initials.

or you can go to the thrift shop and buy some labeled consumer goods there Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning; my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define. And there you are right there, in the mean time."
Out of Habit (Ani Difranco)
http://www.rhino.etsy.com
ica171
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007 08:53:57 AM »

Yes, I have three sisters and I'm the only one who is crafty or who appreciates crafts.  I have another niece to make for, and she just got into knitting, so I'm making her a knitting needle set with a case and a yarn bag, and I don't really care if her mother likes it or not.  The 3-year-old is just more difficult for some reason.   

I like all these ideas!  I thought about hair accessories last night, because she definitely has a lot of wild hair.  I like the mirror idea, too.  I think DH has etched glass before--I haven't--so he could give me some pointers.  I like the pillow and blanket idea, maybe if I make them to stay at my mom's house it won't be an issue with her using them or not.  (She stays up at my mom's house a couple nights a week, usually.) 

I'm going to pass these suggestions on to my mom, too, because she's doing mostly homemade gifts this year and doesn't really know where to start, so I know she'll be grateful for the ideas, too.   Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cubsfan01
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007 02:49:00 PM »

I love the princess kit idea!  Kids love to play dress up.  A costume with a corresponding book would be very cute(since I'm a teacher, I always buy books for kids!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ollieorange
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007 12:49:58 PM »

I would just do the princess kit- if she is that destructive, she'll probably destroy anything that you give her- that's allowed to come home with her at least  Wink. Hair accessories are a good idea too- you can get plain ole barretts and such from the $ store and fancy them up- pop them back onto the original cards they were sold on, she probably won't even know where they came from.
My sister in law likes homemade stuff- if it's made with $100/yd designer fabric. She usually just gets a book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007 04:08:02 AM »

My thoughts on this subject:

Maybe you can foster some "crafty-love" in your niece by creating a special craft kit just for her - with the restriction that it stays at your or your mother's house.  Have her over for special craft days.  Kids are sponges (especially at that age), and they learn what they see/experience.  Maybe if you can have her over here and there, and craft along with her and include your son, too, she will see that it's fun to be creative rather than destructive.

I would also give her something small to send home with her so that she doesn't feel cheated, but stand firm that the kit stays out of her home.

A craft kit for a three year old could be created quite inexpensively.

I'm going to keep my acid little tongue in my mouth regarding my thoughts about her mother.

Above all - don't give up on this child - maybe her destructiveness is just her looking for some attention, so give her some if you can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
Scarah
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007 05:05:54 PM »

acid tastes bad, my tongue's not staying in my mouth....

what a shallow cow.... i'd just get the kid some cheap-ass doll from a $2 shop and be done with it, cuz that's obviously much better than a beautiful hand made dress....

however, if you do insist on putting effort into it, i do like the craft-kit idea....

that'd rub it in mum's face too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007 10:03:45 PM »

I'm so sad for you and your niece!  I'm lucky that even though my sister-out-law (we're divorced from brothers) isn't crafty and is quite into brand names (not necessarily tasteful ones) and trademarked characters, she also really appreciates something hand made for her or her kids.  So she talks it up quite a bit and gets the kids excited about it.

Since she stays at grandma's house a few times a week, I really like the "special for grandma's house" ideas.  I think many of us have special memories of things that were only at grandmas.  I had some special bath towels that were just for me at grandmas that I still have now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sally Jenkinson Performs Her Poem "Lullaby"
Jeffery Deaver Talks About His James Bond Novel "Carte Blanche"
CHI Marathon Author on the Best Way to Recover from Running a Marathon
Stephen Hunter on the Assassination of JFK
Stephen Hunter on His Investigative Novel, The Third Bullet
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...