A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: extra fabric **Added Pictures**  (Read 2419 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: October 26, 2007 08:41:34 AM »

I'm making my grandmother a tablecloth, and it looks like I bought twice as much as I actually needed, so I have an extra yard and a half of fabric left.  I want to do something with it, but I'm not sure what.  She doesn't really cook for herself any more for safety reasons, so she probably wouldn't use things like pot holders.  So what would be a good thing to make from the extra?

Photos of finished tablecloth:

Detail:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007 12:00:18 PM by Ashling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aluna86jh
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007 09:25:08 AM »

How about fabric napkins?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007 10:32:21 AM »

That's a good idea, it will probably use up a fair amount of the extra.  I want to use as much of it as possible, it's not really fabric I would pick for myself, so I probably won't be doing anything with the leftovers after the holiday.  Any additional ideas are welcome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007 02:24:16 PM »

fabric coasters? placemats? you could make her a whole selection of table related things Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007 03:05:47 PM »

I'm a little concerned she might have trouble seeing everything if the tablecloth, placemats, and coasters were all the same fabric though. Undecided  Might try it anyway, just to see how it comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007 07:32:36 PM »

I agree about not wanting the table cloth and napkins all the same -- at least not at the same meal. Still ... she might like to use them at different times.

There are lots of things you could do with the fabric, but it is hard to recommend something without knowing what sort of fabric it is ...

Apron -- i know she doesn't cook, but she might use it for cleaning and preparing lunch, tote bags, gift bags, glasses case, zipper pouches; cosmetic bag, purse, wallet, cover for a notebook, cover for a photo album, a bag to store all those extra plastic bags from the grocery store; coasters; tea cozy (with irony?), tree skirt (for christmas tree), pillow cover, use as mat for framed pictures ... I could go on and on ... but without seeing it ... if it is a busy pattern it would be awkward to have lots of things made out of it. You could also make things to give away? Or offer the fabric to a church or school? Or, be like me and have too much stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007 01:03:25 AM »

It's regular cotton calico, floral print on an off white background.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007 07:33:02 AM »

I'd probably mix it with a bit of unbleached muslin -- use it as contrast either with borders, backing, applique, etc. so that the eye is not subject to so much == very inexpensive too! So, if you do placemats, for example, use muslin backing and let it frame the floral fabric. In your place, I would likely make reversible gift bags and have the floral part be the lining -- it would just peak out over the top and slow through lightly.

Your instincts that too much of the floral would be hard on the eyes, sounds right to me!

If it is not too much trouble, let us see what you do! What kind of hem do you plan for the tablecloth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007 12:08:59 PM »

I probably won't be done for awhile, I'm going on vacation soon, but I'll post pictures when I finish.  I'm thinking I'm going to use a narrow double fold hem.  Thanks for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
folkwynd
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007 09:34:19 AM »

How about chair covers or cushions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
How to Write a Short Story
How to Write Rhyme
How to Improve Your Handwriting
Using Twitter to Exercise Creative Writing Skills
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...