A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kristen Bell's dress as inspiration for prom.  (Read 6340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whatsernamee
« on: October 25, 2007 09:29:20 PM »

OK I am planning this way too soon...
But I am thinking of making my prom dress, and I want something similar to the one Kristen Bell wore here: http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2007/10/well-played-kri.html
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=67931&parent_category_rn=42344&productId=492232&langId=-1
And a similar one @ Top Shop
So what I want to know is:
a. Do you like this as a prom dress??? I am unsure.
b. Anyone seen a similar pattern, or am I going to have to do this by scratch?
-------------------------------

Update! Ok, this is happening. I found the perfect pattern, and today I bought fabric.
Woo! $50 beats spending $400...
Pattern: Simplicity 4070
Fabric:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 03:05:56 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marabu
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 03:14:40 PM »

ok, right away: I have no information on any patterns available for that (though it looks like a very straight dress that is just "formed" with the belt!?), but I just have to say when I saw that dress I loved it too Smiley

I would say the topshop-dress (because of the belt) in a bright colour like kristens dress (and maybe with some smaller flowers at the bottom) and also longer would be a great prom dress.
But it's just my opinion that prom dresses should be on the longer side, I don't know about you or your countries habits.

Love to see it if your gonna make it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ica171
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 09:15:46 PM »

Check out Simplicity 3747.  It's similar, but not exactly the same. 

I think the one she's wearing is more unique.  If you think of the dress as two pieces--a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a sheer tank dress--it doesn't seem too difficult to me.  I hate working with sheer fabric, so I personally would try and come up with something that minimized that part of it.  That's just me, though.  Smiley 

I really like the roses.  It looks like looooong strips of the overdress fabric sewn into a spiral-type pattern.  If I were doing it, I'd cut (or tear, I'm not very patient) a long strip of fabric (or ribbon that matched the fabric).  Then I would do a double row of basting at the top, like is usually recommended for ruffles, gather it a little, and start pinning.  If you practiced with cheap fabric a few times it would be more tedious than difficult.  Again, though, I wouldn't want to do that with sheer fabric. 

Can I ask why you're not sure about it as a prom dress?  Is it because it's short? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatsernamee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007 04:45:50 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your helpp..
Adn ica, yeah, I find it's a little short and maybe too casual for prom?? I guess I just picture the traditional prom dress as like, floor-length, all satin-y and such...
But I was never really a fan of those...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliebelly123
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008 04:52:02 PM »

I don't know how to help you with a pattern, but I think it is really cute and would make a really great prom dress!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Can't wait to see what you make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
whatsernamee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 07:03:47 PM »

I've just bought fabric, and should be getting started tommorow!
Thank you all for your help!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 07:04:11 PM by whatsernamee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amourxamour
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008 05:15:17 PM »

i like short prom dresses way better. no offense to anyone, but i think those giant glittery sherbet colored frocks are wayyyy outdated. cute cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but then i was like, "what would emily do?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gretchen Rossi Shows You How to Get a Perfect Eye Shadow Look
Household Items That Can Be Used As Beauty Products
Copy the Cover: Olivia Munn
Simple Solutions to Summer Beauty Dilemmas
How Do You Get Sexy Feet?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...