A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kristen Bell's dress as inspiration for prom.  (Read 6308 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whatsernamee
« on: October 25, 2007 09:29:20 PM »

OK I am planning this way too soon...
But I am thinking of making my prom dress, and I want something similar to the one Kristen Bell wore here: http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2007/10/well-played-kri.html
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=67931&parent_category_rn=42344&productId=492232&langId=-1
And a similar one @ Top Shop
So what I want to know is:
a. Do you like this as a prom dress??? I am unsure.
b. Anyone seen a similar pattern, or am I going to have to do this by scratch?
-------------------------------

Update! Ok, this is happening. I found the perfect pattern, and today I bought fabric.
Woo! $50 beats spending $400...
Pattern: Simplicity 4070
Fabric:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 03:05:56 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
marabu
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007 03:14:40 PM »

ok, right away: I have no information on any patterns available for that (though it looks like a very straight dress that is just "formed" with the belt!?), but I just have to say when I saw that dress I loved it too Smiley

I would say the topshop-dress (because of the belt) in a bright colour like kristens dress (and maybe with some smaller flowers at the bottom) and also longer would be a great prom dress.
But it's just my opinion that prom dresses should be on the longer side, I don't know about you or your countries habits.

Love to see it if your gonna make it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ica171
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007 09:15:46 PM »

Check out Simplicity 3747.  It's similar, but not exactly the same. 

I think the one she's wearing is more unique.  If you think of the dress as two pieces--a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a sheer tank dress--it doesn't seem too difficult to me.  I hate working with sheer fabric, so I personally would try and come up with something that minimized that part of it.  That's just me, though.  Smiley 

I really like the roses.  It looks like looooong strips of the overdress fabric sewn into a spiral-type pattern.  If I were doing it, I'd cut (or tear, I'm not very patient) a long strip of fabric (or ribbon that matched the fabric).  Then I would do a double row of basting at the top, like is usually recommended for ruffles, gather it a little, and start pinning.  If you practiced with cheap fabric a few times it would be more tedious than difficult.  Again, though, I wouldn't want to do that with sheer fabric. 

Can I ask why you're not sure about it as a prom dress?  Is it because it's short? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatsernamee
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007 04:45:50 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your helpp..
Adn ica, yeah, I find it's a little short and maybe too casual for prom?? I guess I just picture the traditional prom dress as like, floor-length, all satin-y and such...
But I was never really a fan of those...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elliebelly123
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008 04:52:02 PM »

I don't know how to help you with a pattern, but I think it is really cute and would make a really great prom dress!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Can't wait to see what you make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman."  Coco Chanel
whatsernamee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 07:03:47 PM »

I've just bought fabric, and should be getting started tommorow!
Thank you all for your help!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 07:04:11 PM by whatsernamee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amourxamour
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008 05:15:17 PM »

i like short prom dresses way better. no offense to anyone, but i think those giant glittery sherbet colored frocks are wayyyy outdated. cute cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but then i was like, "what would emily do?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Picks For Lashes, Brushes And Contouring
How To Properly Apply Bronzer
Latest Skin Care Trends For Summer Wedding Season
Put Your Best Face Forward With These Beauty Tips
Must Have Beauty Items
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...