A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Built in bra?  (Read 289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2007 05:26:38 PM »

Hello, there!  I'm relatively new to sewing, but I'm catching on.  I want to make a strapless dress for a Christmas party, and I was thinking about sewing it to a strapless bra.  Is this a bad idea?  What would be the best way to fasten the dress in the back?  I haven't put in a zipper yet, mostly because I don't want to try and change the foot on my machine, but I'm willing to try it.  This is the dress I'm basing my pattern on:
http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridesmaids_detail.jsp?stid=2807&prodgroup=110

...with a few changes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007 07:51:53 PM »

There are certainly people who know a lot more about this than me, but I know I sometimes have the problem of my strapless bra falling down -- less so when the bra really fits well, but can you imagine if you had the weight of a dress attached to it too?  Are you using a pattern, or making it up as you go?   Most strapless dresses have some kind of internal structure - usually vertical strips of boning in multiple spots.  Patterns will usually have directions telling you one way to put in the boning, but there are many different ways to do it.  Dresses are usually fastened with a zipper in the back - I think an invisible zipper gives the nicest finish, plus a little hook and eye at the top to keep the zipper from getting pulled apart.  There are whole books on sewing formalwear - you might want to check one out from your local library to get an idea of how it all comes together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007 07:55:05 PM »

Instead of having to buy a bra for the dress, you can get bra cups from a sewing store that you can sew into the top of the dress.  Cheaper, and more comfortable, since you won't have a strap going around the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007 07:30:07 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I don't have a pattern, per se.  I'm winging it, with a Simplicity dress pattern for general guidance in the proportion area.  I had a thought in the back of my head that I wanted the dress to be backless...or at least low-backed, but I don't know how to make it both backless and strapless without boning (which I'm not skilled enough to do well)...

The idea I had with the bra was to use the bra 1) to structure the top of the dress (I'm a bit busty, so if I can shape the top around a well-fitted bra, it'll stay up on its own), and then leave straps in the back (loose from the side seams) in line with the bra strap.  They'd tie in the back to both cover the bra strap, and help keep the dress up, so as not to put all the stress on the bra.  I don't think there was actually a 2, there...sorry.

But yeah, and then I was going to fit the front panels to my waist , and let the back drape loosely from the side seams.  I'm going to either get a friend with similar measurements, or make a papertape dress form, to make sure it'll drape the way I think it will before I sew, but logically, it ought to work.  Right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Victoria Beckham Wins at Wimbledon in a Sexy Slip Dress
Kanye West Designs Denim Collection For French Label
Score a Perfect Look for a Summer Night Out
Fashion Trends: The All-American Varsity Look
Kristen Stewart Leaves High Style in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...