A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melting glass in kiln ?  (Read 5056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Electra
« on: December 21, 2004 08:53:36 AM »

I've seen a few commerical art pieces done in ceramic with what appeared to be melted glass pieces in the bottom (of a vase or bowl, so as not to spill out).  I was wondering if the glass needed to be fired at a specific temperature, or if it could be completed when glaze-firing a project...Also, does the glass need to be a certain type of glass? My art teacher seemed totally clueless on the subject so I wanted to gain more information before I instruct her to blow up her kiln. Wink  I have some pieces broken green wine bottles I want to melt into the bottom of a bowl for a colleague.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004 04:02:45 PM »

I've had some success melting random bits of glass during the glaze firing of some of my pieces.  Things I've noticed is that the glass has a tendency to crack during the cooling process - you may be able to prevent this by cooling the kiln more slowly and/or firing the piece near the bottom of the kiln. I'm uncertain if the pieces are food safe when they have glass on them - I would play the caution card and say no.

Good luck experimenting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChadSharply
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004 04:10:48 PM »

you should be fine incorporating glass into you piece just take the cooling ophase slow. my girlfriend uses glass in her ceramic work and also does lamp work glass. check out delphi glass for good info on fused glass process which is basicaly the same thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004 06:38:56 PM »

I found some general info on the temperature thing when I was trying to decide what I could do with an old lab oven I bought from a salvage place.  Unluckily, I discovered there is no temperature reading anymore on it because they rubbed off.  I haven't played with it yet other than making sure it heats.

At what temperature does glass melt?
http://experts.about.com/q/2350/1318275.htm

Melting Point of Glass, the physics stuff
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/SaiLee.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004 10:00:21 PM »

ok, well to start off glaze is bascly glass, just in the liquid form before it becomes shinny. we add marbles to the bottoms of our stuff all the time. just be careful that you dont put glass or marbles on the side of your projects. it will melt to the bottom of the kiln and then, good luck trying to get that sucker off. but if you want to have marbles attached to your final piece, make sure you leave a slight indent in the clay as to that spot before you glaze and fire it. after, just use a drop of super glue/nail glue to hold it in place. that should be it.

hope i helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005 12:06:38 AM »

Well, different types of glass will work at different temperatures.  So, I would try to find a guide on it.  Also, if your kiln does not measure the temp as it should, then I would get a thermometer.  (My art teacher just got one for her kiln)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
Rakuette
i make pottery!

i <3 midtown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005 07:32:18 PM »

You can melt glass at 1650 F that is cone 06.  if you fire to cone 6 and above some of the reds and yellows may burn out.  go for it though i am not here to tell you what you can't do.  if you do have something that suspends over something else (like a lidded jar) do not put a ton of glass in it the lid, it will melt through the clay and down into the jar.  The glass will crackle no matter what you do but modern dishwashers and microwaves and ovens will clean/kill any bacteria that can get into the crackles.  when you put glass into something use a bit of school glue to help hold the glass in place.  it really helps when you load a kiln and you don't have to worry about spilling your glass shards all over.  good luck!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal blog- http://rakuette.blogspot.com/
my stuff for sale- http://Rakuette.etsy.com
365 craft- http://365craft.blogspot.com
365 clay- http://365clay.blogspot.com

i would like to be a swap angel
a) it's a good thing to do
b) i have 5 swaps from 3 years ago that i
would like to make up
Superchica

Keeping you Chic & Unique

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005 08:09:06 PM »

This strand has been so helpful.  I've recently seen something fire glass marbles on a candy dish and it turned out really lovely.  I usually fire to 06 or 04 and I'm glad to know that 06 will work.  The question is... would it be possible to put a glass marble on a flat round ceramic piece that is twice it's size.  My thought is that it might just go to the edges and then stop.  Of course it could also spill all over the place.  Thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theasparagusfreak

I'm studying craft at uni, how lucky is that?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005 12:40:08 AM »

at college our ceramics glass was in small crystals, and it melted at 1080C (we had new-fangled automatic kilns, doncha know). So maybe if you smashed up whatever glass you wanted to use? I also found that when i glazed clear over the top of the glass it went from red to blue, so be wary that the pigment of the glass can change
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Woman
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Pirate
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Horse
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Bird
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Mouse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...