A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My beardly transformation. (Img heavy, with link to tutorial)  (Read 3762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissykat
« on: October 25, 2007 01:08:23 PM »

I thought this was too much fun to not share. I need a beard for my Hallowe'en costume, and couldn't find one that I liked. I found a couple online that would have been ok, but they were pricey, and I couldn't have gotten them shipped to me in time for dressing up. After lots of searching online, I stumbled onto a tutorial explaining how to make facial hair with liquid latex and crepe hair. I couldn't find crepe hair either, but I did have some llama in my fiber stash, and the guard hairs look and feel a lot like human hair. It was worth a shot, right?
I cleaned and combed a large handful of fiber, and separated out some of the fine, fleecy fibers. 

Built up a base of liquid latex and waited for it to dry. (4-5 layers, I think.)

Brushed on another layer of latex and applied thin pieces of hair while it was still wet.

It took forever to dry, but I was finally able to peel it off.

Gross.

I did a trial run of my hair and makeup this morning. It was hard to style. I had to work it a bit with a felting needle. I was going to cut it, but then I saw a picture of Debra Christofferson as Lila on Carnivale (HBO show) and I decided to curl it instead. Gratuitous beard closeup:

Then I got a bit silly.

The shadow on half of my face is from my camera (and hand).

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007 04:07:09 AM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
TheFeltedOwl
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007 01:38:45 PM »

Thats Fantastic!! Are you going as the bearded woman or is there more to the costume? I love it! It looks pretty real!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VictorVenefic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007 02:40:56 PM »

I love it! haha.

yeah. are you going to be a bearded lady? I think it's amazing that you decided to go for the more realistic rather than something cartoony.

I think it be a little better if you dyed it to make a color between your hair and eyebrows. it would look more natural that way IMHO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

| unattractive? yes. | artistic? sure. | masculine? psh, no! |
krissykat
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007 03:24:57 PM »

Thanks guys!  Grin   Yep, my costume's just going to be a bearded lady. The only costume I've seen online was a grotesque-looking men's costume. I've always loved how bearded ladies from sideshows always look so elegant in old pictures, so I'm trying to capture that as best I can. Ideally I would have a gown to wear with my beard, but it was a little last minute and I just didn't have the time to come up with one. I'm just going to put something together with some of my vintage clothes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007 03:41:00 PM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethz0r
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007 04:48:31 PM »

I absolutely love this idea. Oddly, you look gorgeous as a bearded lady. Very refined.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairweatherknitter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007 10:09:35 PM »

ha ha ha... i am so glad you are going as a bearded lady.. you are so cute!  Excellent idea! I burst out laughing when i saw the colour photo of you and then when i saw the black and white.. i thought oh man .. thats gotta get framed!... When or if you have kids you can mess with them and tell them its great aunt lily.. before their time..
ha!  Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007 09:11:48 PM »

I think it is AWESOME that you're goin' as a legit, rather realistic, bearded lady.  Smiley  I love it!  Plus, awesome job on making your own beard

P.S... I don't know if you really wanted it, but I was a little bored and sleep deprived, so I tried to get rid of the shadow, lol.  I don't know how well it worked, but it looks like the shadow's gone on my computer.
Here's a link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/shadowsofelocin/?action=view&current=S6300811-4e.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007 01:04:55 AM »

Thanks a lot!!! I'm glad you guys are got a kick out of this. I have to say, I love this costume. It kind of makes me wish I could grow a real beard and run away to join the circus. Wink   And I definitely need to get that picture framed and convince people that it's of a relative.   Hee hee. Beards are fun.

P.S... I don't know if you really wanted it, but I was a little bored and sleep deprived, so I tried to get rid of the shadow, lol.  I don't know how well it worked, but it looks like the shadow's gone on my computer.
Here's a link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/shadowsofelocin/?action=view&current=S6300811-4e.jpg

Wow, thanks so much. That looks great! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Schmerin
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007 12:34:54 PM »

When I was in King and I, I had to be captain Orton... There was a beard involved and it scarred my pre-pubescent self. Yours looks great though -- very sideshowy and fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
timarie
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007 02:56:06 PM »

hahahahha! This is awesome! I looooooooooooooove it! You did a great job. I definitely get the sideshow feel from it as well.

fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: Choosing Clay
Pottery Making: Determining Foot Ring Size When Trimming
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...