A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Square-bottomed canvas bucket :: Now with TUTORIAL::  (Read 127818 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007 09:46:49 AM »

gr8 work*  i made one on that scale but used Peltex (a stiff stabilizer)*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
pzazbags

Im addicted to bags!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007 06:05:34 AM »

I want to make one to match my bathroom and put washclothes in. I have a basket in there now and I just roll the washclothes up so it looks neater.

Also a neat Idea would be to make one matching my dining room and place paper napkins in (also using a wood baskets)

Thanks for the Idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007 04:45:00 AM »

I am going to dust off my sewing machine and make some of these up for a lucky recipient - thank you for such a fantastic tutorial!  I just love it.  I hope mine come out half as nice as yours do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
silverfisch
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007 09:50:17 AM »

I did a couple of them today with some scrap fabric I had lying around Cheesy I had a bit of problems translating inches to centimetres, and also with seam allowances... I did not put any and then thought I should have, because after sewing up the sides, the squares that need to be pinched to make the jordy do not match, one side is longer than the other Tongue however, I managed to fix that with the scissors Grin the are not square but rectangular Tongue

I followed your tutorial so ended up with the the high ones. I folded the border down so the lining can be seen, I like them more that way. they are the perfect way to fit in my shelves on top of stored books (yeah, even those places hace storing capabilities), and are currently stuffed with color papers, stock zippers, and stuff

they are really fast and easy to do, thanks so much! Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007 10:01:29 AM »

This look great, thanks for the tute and ideas! I think I'm going to make one to put my doll making projects in, or maybe knitting projects, sooo many choices.

I love the colors on yours, Silverfisch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007 10:03:32 AM »

I have a set of storage cubes, and I hate the way all of the stuff looks when it's stuffed into them. I was going to make a set of curtains to cover it, but I like this idea so much better! I can make bins/baskets in super cool fabrics, fill them with the stuff, and then slide them into the cubes. It'll look way better than the boring fabric ones you can buy at the store. Thank you so much for sharing this idea, and for showing us how you made them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007 02:11:18 PM »

I am apparently a putz.  A complete dolt.  I can't seem to get mine to be square - I have tried twice now - starting with 18x9 pieces and I can't seem to make my inner square cut outs to be the right size to make it all square and I am really upset with myself - can it possibly be that big of a challenge for me?  Obviously so...

Anyone out here can help the math challenged?

My first one I did - started with 18x9 piece - folded so that it was a 9x9 square.  I cut out 3x3 squares - and made my "I" shape.. nope.. made a tall skinny rectangle... not a cool square..

So my second one I thought I would try it a bit different - I cut out 1 1/2"x1 1/2" squares to make my "I" shape - yup. Another rectangle shaped bottom.

What on earth am I doing wrong???

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
siclady
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007 04:42:14 PM »

That would be great for knitting projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

me on Ravelry ~~ my etsy shop -> row counter bracelets
*so in love with my cop* Slave of Kolat Master ~~  me knitting on blogspot
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007 05:22:08 PM »

I am apparently a putz.  A complete dolt.  I can't seem to get mine to be square - I have tried twice now - starting with 18x9 pieces and I can't seem to make my inner square cut outs to be the right size to make it all square and I am really upset with myself - can it possibly be that big of a challenge for me?  Obviously so...

Anyone out here can help the math challenged?

My first one I did - started with 18x9 piece - folded so that it was a 9x9 square.  I cut out 3x3 squares - and made my "I" shape.. nope.. made a tall skinny rectangle... not a cool square..

So my second one I thought I would try it a bit different - I cut out 1 1/2"x1 1/2" squares to make my "I" shape - yup. Another rectangle shaped bottom.

What on earth am I doing wrong???

This would be easier if I could draw it out, but I'll do my best to explain...

You need to envision it in three dimensions to get it to be a square. Let's say you want a 9" square:

The width of the fabric would need to be 19 inches wide. This would give you 9 inches across the front of the, plus 4.5 inches on each side for half of the side depth, plus 0.5 inch seam allowance on each side.

The length of the fabric would need to be 29 inches long. This would give you 9 inches down each side (18 inches total), plus 9 inches for the bottom width, plus a 0.5 inch seam allowance at each end, and at the corners.

The trickiest part is figuring out how big to cut the squares. I think that if you cut 5.5 inch squares (which would allow for 0.5 inch seam allowances), you might be all set.

If I had the time, I'd try one out to see if my math was any good. But, I don't have time to play with it tonight. The only place I'm worried about it not being 100% correct is in the corners...with my seam allowances...

Note: If you don't have a length of fabric that is 29" long for the length, you can cut it in half (14.5 inches) but you'd need to add another 0.5 inches for when you have to seam it together, so 15" altogether.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007 05:46:47 PM »

It is definitely my corner square cutting that is not clicking in my head - I can envision how it is all suppose to go together but I can't seem to get the right square size cut for some reason - which is why I keep making rectangles and not squares - and I really do want a square for this particular project.

I will have to draw it on paper I guess and see if it will make sense since me just thinking that I will cut a 3" square just is escaping me.

edited to add...
I just drew it out on paper and I swear up and down that is what I did the first time through - and it came out alllllll sorts of funky.  It was really really rectangular.  I need to rethink how I interpreted this!  I must have cut it out all sorts of wrong the first time through.. will try again in the a.m... can't sew after the kids go to bed.. my craft room is between their rooms... and as much as I would love to sleep to the sound of a sewing machine humming away, they don't want to!

It's not the tutorial - trust me, it's my head and the stress of the weekend all running through it!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 05:53:11 PM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Apples
How to Paint Fabric
How to Paint Tangerines
How to Paint Cherries
How to Paint Lilies
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...