A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: halloween DISASTER... please help :(  (Read 2166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 25, 2007 06:57:06 AM »

Hey, So I've trauled through every page of the halloween costume sew-along thread, to no avail... I'm getting desperate now, and I know it's been asked before.. but my mind has just drawn a horrible big empty blank, and I have until saturday to come up with a costume Sad

basically, my stats:
female
5ft2
petite
brunette

This party I've been invited to has only 1 person going that I know (my boyfriend)... he's wearing a childs ghost costume.. because he can easilly get away with looking like an idiot, he knows the majority of the people going.

I on the other hand.. am not a very halloweeny person, I've only ever been to one fancy-dress party where my costume sucked.. I'm shy and don't want to look like an idiot...

I don't want to look like a slut, and I don't want to look like I've just been dug out of the ground..

This is SO hard, I've come here to ask you guys because I know here is where the creative ideas are flowing YEAHHHHH

so please... I beg you, can anyone give me some ideas for halloween??

I can recon, I have a load of old clothes I can shread, masses of fabrics, zips, ribbons etc etc blah.....

Apparently it has to be something semi-scary... I'm clueless..

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHH HHHHH help meeeee Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Lou xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
jenangelcat
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007 07:12:29 AM »

This isn't very creative but it's kinda scary; vampire.

It's all in the makeup.  Layer that white grease makeup that sells at this time of year lightly with pressed powder.  Keep layering until you are as pale as you want.  Do intense eye makeup and blood red lips.  You can get some really awesome vampire teeth anywhere that molds and clicks onto your own teeth. Wear whatever you want.  You could make a period gown or you could dress up all matrixy. 

We are throwing a party on Saturday and our theme is vampires, slayers and victims.  It's a limited theme but it will be cool to see how everyone envisions their characters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeldaddy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007 07:14:15 AM »

why something scary? you could be a comic charcter,movie star,something fun from when you were younger.tinkerbell, scarecrow,dorathy from wizard of oz,goth chic, barbie,sassy school teacher,dress up as a man,rock star anything you want everyone does scary I perfer to see people that enjoy not being afirad to be different!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007 07:29:23 AM »

I'm with you.  I don't like looking scary or dead, I just like to be pretty.  I think a fun scary but pretty costume would be a willis/wilis--one version of their legend is that they are young women who were betrayed and murdered on the night before their weddings, so to be able to marry their loves they come to them as spirits and dance them to death.  You'd just have to be all white and airy and a little bridal.  But you'd still be a character who kills people so that's scary, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007 07:57:42 AM »

This isn't very creative but it's kinda scary; vampire.

It's all in the makeup.  Layer that white grease makeup that sells at this time of year lightly with pressed powder.  Keep layering until you are as pale as you want.  Do intense eye makeup and blood red lips.  You can get some really awesome vampire teeth anywhere that molds and clicks onto your own teeth. Wear whatever you want.  You could make a period gown or you could dress up all matrixy. 

We are throwing a party on Saturday and our theme is vampires, slayers and victims.  It's a limited theme but it will be cool to see how everyone envisions their characters.
this is a good idea.. but I wear braces.. so the whole vampire theme would be ruined by the fact that I can't wear vampire teeth Sad lol.
thanx though Cheesy x

why something scary? you could be a comic charcter,movie star,something fun from when you were younger.tinkerbell, scarecrow,dorathy from wizard of oz,goth chic, barbie,sassy school teacher,dress up as a man,rock star anything you want everyone does scary I perfer to see people that enjoy not being afirad to be different!
it's not my choice.. it's the party hosts Wink otherwise this'd be a whoooooooole lot easier Smiley x

I'm with you.  I don't like looking scary or dead, I just like to be pretty.  I think a fun scary but pretty costume would be a willis/wilis--one version of their legend is that they are young women who were betrayed and murdered on the night before their weddings, so to be able to marry their loves they come to them as spirits and dance them to death.  You'd just have to be all white and airy and a little bridal.  But you'd still be a character who kills people so that's scary, right?

ooh.. I've never heard of that.. is that an american thing, or global? as I'm from the UK, I don't wanna show up and no one have a clue what or who I am if you get me Wink thanx for the ideas though, keep them coming Tongue

Lou xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
Radegund
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007 08:10:02 AM »

Mad scientist?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

x0xmanda
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007 10:15:46 AM »

I'm with you.  I don't like looking scary or dead, I just like to be pretty.  I think a fun scary but pretty costume would be a willis/wilis--one version of their legend is that they are young women who were betrayed and murdered on the night before their weddings, so to be able to marry their loves they come to them as spirits and dance them to death.  You'd just have to be all white and airy and a little bridal.  But you'd still be a character who kills people so that's scary, right?

ooh.. I've never heard of that.. is that an american thing, or global? as I'm from the UK, I don't wanna show up and no one have a clue what or who I am if you get me Wink thanx for the ideas though, keep them coming Tongue

Lou xxx

i've never heard of it either, but you could still just go as a murderous bride. get a thrift store bridal gown, or make an easy white dress, dye it in tea or coffee, and then splatter blood on it. make a beige veil and rip holes, and make your bouquet out of black fake roses and a fake knife for the handle. white face, red lips, ratty uncombed hair  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007 10:18:00 AM by x0xmanda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
nicegirl512
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007 11:03:04 AM »

Lou xxx

i've never heard of it either, but you could still just go as a murderous bride. get a thrift store bridal gown, or make an easy white dress, dye it in tea or coffee, and then splatter blood on it. make a beige veil and rip holes, and make your bouquet out of black fake roses and a fake knife for the handle. white face, red lips, ratty uncombed hair  Cheesy

It's definitely one of the lesser known folk stories.  It was in a book I had as a kid and I actually dressed as one when I was in 3rd grade.  In my book they were called Valkyries, but reading about valkyries on wikipedia I realized that wasn't right so I googled around until I came up with the proper name.  Probably nobody but me would know what it is, but it doesn't take too long to explain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
clairebjamin
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007 11:44:13 AM »

What about a mummy?  I think the costume would be easy enough to make, if you could get a hold of a form fitting white, or cream colored top and leggings, then cut strips of an old bed sheet or anything else and tack them around the base.  You could add a little face makeup and tie a few strips around your head.  This way you could still look sort of cute if you wanted to, but still work the "scary" angle. 
Or try medusa- This could be done with just a black toga style dress, easy enough to make, it just drapes around the body.  Then get a headband and attach toy snakes to it with some kind of moldable wire.  The tease your hair around it, so the snakes are in the hair! 
Good Luck!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007 03:13:28 PM »

awww why does it have to be scary...

the easiest last minute costume is to be a housewife... you just wrap a towel around your head and wear a robe or make a dress out of a towel and wear your slippers  Cheesy i had fun with that one. I even used face paint to look like one of those spa masks (minus the cucumbers)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create French Braid / Gotham Braid
How to Curl Your Hair With Straightening Iron
Hair How To: Hair Jewellery
How to Do a Crazy Hairstyle
How to Get Disco Hair
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...