A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun Recycled Newspaper **Image Heavy**Tutorial Added**  (Read 32036 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008 07:10:52 AM »

I made my own spindle with a dowel, eye-hook and a toy wood wheel,
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/jchinique/th_woodwheel.jpg

I've only use it for plying but I think it could work with this.
Knittyfingers, could you add a washer onto your spindle to weight it a little?
jchinique have you tried spinning fibre into yarn with that yet ?
i wonder if the weight of the wheel is good that it can constantly spin (without you having to stop every once in a while to turn it again)
I have 3 spindles made with those and it works really well. They are very nice for spinning thinner yarn. They didn't seem to like spinning thicker but I am a novice spinner. For thicker stuff I prefer my heavier recycled CD spindle.
But I love my little spindles too!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008 07:11:26 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gius
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008 08:32:27 PM »

I have 3 spindles made with those and it works really well. They are very nice for spinning thinner yarn. They didn't seem to like spinning thicker but I am a novice spinner. For thicker stuff I prefer my heavier recycled CD spindle.
that's awesome -thanks Eliea  Smiley
glad to hear it can spin thin too
i'll have to try that out

just one other question: can you sit down while spinning? i've only used a spinning wheel, never a spindle, so i like the fact i can sit and sort of relax.. rather than stand
now that school's finishing, i won't have access to the wheel and loom.. so i'll have to devise some new ways Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008 03:13:00 PM »

that's awesome -thanks Eliea  Smiley
glad to hear it can spin thin too
i'll have to try that out

just one other question: can you sit down while spinning? i've only used a spinning wheel, never a spindle, so i like the fact i can sit and sort of relax.. rather than stand
now that school's finishing, i won't have access to the wheel and loom.. so i'll have to devise some new ways Cheesy
I almost always sit while spinning. I typically sit on the couch on the edge of the cushion. I sit with my back very straight and it actually helps my back and shoulders. Smiley I spin with the spindle suspended between my legs and let it drop to the floor, hold the spindle still with my feet, and wind on to my hand then when I have wound the yarn onto my hand I wind onto the spindle to keep the yarn under tension.
Smiley
I do stand sometimes when I get stiff or bored but I prefer sitting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilylola
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008 07:19:25 AM »

How have I missed this thread? This is marvellous! I've just fininshed my partners last package for the make a friend swap but I have to do something with newspaper yarn now to go with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels

MY wist
MY ETSY
folksy shop
gius
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008 04:31:23 PM »

eliea could you give the measurement of the diameter of the toy wheel?  Smiley i wonder if matters... and i assume its weight matters too, no? so it can't be a light wood-- it needs a slightly heavy wheel

oh! by the way i also have tried this spun paper yarn but i wet my paper before and while spinning it. here's the link
it's made from coffeeshop paper bags (where they put your danishes and things inside  Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008 11:06:50 AM »

oh how totally cool!  what a great thing to do with old newspapers!  although.....do you think that after a few years whatever object that was knitted with the newspapers might start to deteriorate?  or perhaps the newspaper holds together stronger once it's spun into a yarn?

i'd love to see any project you create with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008 11:17:07 AM »

I'm going to say.. I have no clue how long it would hold up! I have been using it to make bird toys so it deteriorates within a day or so (well it gets chewed to shreds!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008 11:23:29 AM »

great. idea.  we (the earth and i) so heart you for recycling in such a creative way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
flootloop
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008 11:43:39 AM »

this is totally awesome!! way to recycle! What will you make with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008 03:15:49 PM »

eliea could you give the measurement of the diameter of the toy wheel?  Smiley i wonder if matters... and i assume its weight matters too, no? so it can't be a light wood-- it needs a slightly heavy wheel

oh! by the way i also have tried this spun paper yarn but i wet my paper before and while spinning it. here's the link
it's made from coffeeshop paper bags (where they put your danishes and things inside  Tongue )

Different weights are better for different things. Lighter spindles work better for thinner yarn and heavy for thicker I think. I may have that backwards. I think mine were all 6 inches around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Easy Pie Dough Recipe With Lard
How to Make New Orleans Gumbo
Back to School Lunch Ideas For Kids
Sneak Peek at Wild New Four Seasons Resort Restaurant
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...