A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 48374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2010 11:55:50 AM »

I, too, am looking into buying an embroidery machine that will also double as a quilting machine. That said, it needs to have a long arm and I also want to be able able to port over my own designs from the computer. I was looking at a Bernina earlier (it happened to be my first ever wisted item, hehe) but I was recently looking into other brands and found the Janomes which I was happy to hear all the good reviews about in this thread. Currently, I'm looking at the Janome 200E or 300E. The only thing I'm worried about is the small 5x5 hoop size on the 200E, and the 300E doesn't look like it would have the long arm I would need for quilting... Would anybody have any suggestions of other brands/models that would do what I'm looking for in a machine for around $500 - $1000 (excluding the pc software 'cause that would be a separate expense to save up for at a later date)? Or does anyone have the Janome 200E or 300E and could give me some insight on the quilting capabilities therein? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
NeitherSparky
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2010 01:13:17 PM »

I have the Janome 350e, which I believe is basically the 300e...I don't know anything about quilting but I know that my manual says nothing about using the machine for quilting. And it doesn't have the long arm, its true.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2010 02:48:21 PM »

tcm do not look at the 200 - the hoop size is horrendous.  Do not let anyone tell you that a dinky hoop will keep you happy cause it is not true.  You will even outgrow the 5x7 hoop quickly as well.

There is no way to import your designs unless they are digitized..

The 300e is nice however it does not have an auto threader and something else that was a big deal breaker for me that the 350e has.

For the same bang for your buck you can also go for the Brother 780 I think is what they are up to.  It will usb transfer your designs which is a huge incentive.  You don't want to mess with the cards.  USB is the way to go.
I don't remember where you're at but I know here I can normally get a really good deal on Janomes or Brothers Wink

Oh - the Bernina - yes, it is nice but they are very costly.
When you say you need a long arm are you talking about physically sewing or just having the space for quilting?
Having done a quilt on the embroidery machine it is pretty time consuming and takes a lot of moving the material around.  You might want to make sure that whatever machine you have you can get the magna hoop for it if you are planning on doing a lot of quilting with it.  There are lots of places that you can get stippling designs and whatnot for the embroidery machine which is sweet... then you would pretty much be able to do a 5x5 square at a time for stippling... which is small - but then if you plan ahead and make 10x10 squares you can move your material 4x to do each square..... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2011 12:41:28 PM »

Is there a comparison chart of some sort online somewhere? I don't understand most of what you guys are saying to be honest, I am Very untechy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Fildrigar
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2011 09:08:28 AM »

It is very much worth going into a local sewing machine dealer and talking with them. Many of them have special deals and such. If you're trying to keep the costs low, you do have several options:

1 ) Buy a used machine. Many sewing machine dealers get used machines in, have their service department refurbish them and then re-sell them for a much lower price than new. Quite often they come with a 30-90 day guarantee, in case anything goes wrong.

2 ) Buy a new, but low end starting machine. Many sewing machine dealers will offer you 100% of the price you paid on a machine ( not the extra things that you buy, just the machine ) on a trade in within one year. As an example, a Babylock Sofia 2 costs around 800$. Just shy of a year later, you could trade it in on an Ellure Plus ( usually around 1500$ ) and only have to pay 700$. Then, a year later ( assuming you're still loving machine embroidery ) you could step up another step, and before you know it you're at the top of the line machine. ( The Ellisimo, which is a fantasic ( and fantastically expensive ) machine. )

You really shouldn't consider buying online, even if it will save you a few bucks. ( Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, and aren't going to need help figuring out your machine. ) With a local shop, you can always get help. ( My local sewing machine dealer offers free one-on-one training with your machine for as long as you own it. I'd like to see ebay offer that... )

Going to a local sewing shop will also allow you to try out several machines and really see the differences between them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ltlgto
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2011 05:46:13 PM »

Hi All.

I am interested in buying embroidery machine and wonder what do you guys recommend. I want good quality of machine that does embroidery only not sewing combinations.

Thank you.

Jin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlebub
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2011 06:04:40 PM »

I have a Janome 350e, I already had a sewing machine & overlocker so didn't need any sewing functions.
The only problem I have is hooping fabrics but that is probably just me not the actual hoops
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
davis2se
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2011 04:16:24 PM »

I have a Baby Lock Sophia and a Janome Memory Craft 11000SE.  Very different machines.  The Baby Lock was on sale for $800 when I bought it a couple of years ago.  The maximum size hoop is 5 x 7, and the machine tends to be a tad tempermental.  I have a friend who bought the top of the line Baby Lock, and she has mechanical problems with hers all of the time.  My Janome is awesome now that I have gotten over my deathly fear of adjusting anything to do with tension.  It has a much larger throat area, which is good as I quilt too, and the maximum hoop is 9 x 12 (I think).  I have honestly heard very little good about Singer machines with any kinds of electronics.  I have a gear driven Singer and I love it - it such a work horse!!  But electronically - no much good news about Singers.  As far as creating your own designs - I'm certain that you have to purchase costly programs like Design Gallery to do that.  But good luck in your search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homeonline
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2011 12:03:02 AM »

Are you going to buy a machine for commercial use?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2012 11:14:03 AM »

I want a machine for commercial use but not heavy use, I'd be using it only to add elements to projects. So a good domestic machine would work great for me.
I want to be able to use my own designs though, is that even possible without spending thousands and having to learn computer programming? LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Gas Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Grilled Planet - Photoshop
How to Create an Earth Like Planet - Photoshop
How to Create an Ice Planet - Photoshop
How to Create a Solar System - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...