A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 49203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teehee
« on: December 20, 2004 09:39:37 PM »

I need input from you smart crafsters. I'm interested in a home embroidery machine which can interface with the PC to embroider images and photos. I saw a Singer embroidery machine with optional "auto punch software". I'm not clear if that will do a good job with photos. I'm hoping to find this for less than $800. I've been comparing prices online, but I really don't understand the terminology. Any advice? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004 07:25:00 AM »

Are you looking to create your own designs or are you satisfied with whatever is available for your machine?  For original embroidery, I doubt you'll be able to find one under $800.  You may be able to find a machine that's less but the software is pretty expensive.  That's assuming you buy new.  Maybe you can find a great deal on a used machine.  I bought a Husqvarna-Viking Iris last year and it was pretty expensive but I love it. What terminology are you unclear on, maybe I can help.
-Cindy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teehee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004 05:48:23 PM »

Thanks Cindy. I'm looking for a new machine. The feature description lists things like number of stitches and hoop sizes. Does that mean your embroidery has to be the same or smaller than the largest hoop size listed? This is for personal use, so it doesn't have to be super fast. 

Someone mentioned wanting one and she said it cost around $800-$900. She isn't too experienced with embroidering so I don't know that she'd be too specific about the features. I checked every store I thought she may have seen it at, but no luck. The only thing she really wants is to be able to embroider from photos. It may also be used for lettering.

I saw a Singer Futura CE 100 machine for around $600. Here's the description:

The Singer exclusive 3900 predigitized designs CD is included FREE with our CE100. It does not come with the Wal Mart version.

Windows 98 and up compatible (PC Not Included)

Large (4 1/2 X 6 3/4) and small (3 1/8 X 4 3/4) hoops

On-screen embroidery tutorial included

Embroider your choice of predigitized designs

Add Auto Punch software option to equal C200 model

Can use design packs from Amazing Designs, OESD, Cactus Punch, Dakota Collectibles, Embroidery Arts, and others.

Unlimited colors in designs, depending on size

Transmit predigitized designs directly to the machine by USB cable included. No need for cards or reader/writer boxes.

80 stitch functions, 22 built-in sewing stitches plus 2 lettering styles in embroidery mode.

Built-in automatic needle threader

Needle stops up with up/down button control

Optimum Power Control

One-touch pattern sewing selection

Two styles of one-step buttonholes

Top drop-in class 15 plastic bobbin with see-through cover

Drop feed control for embroidery and sewing

Does not exceed 500 stitches per minute on embroidery, but up to 800 spm on sewing

They offer auto digitizing software for around $200.  The software description says, "The "AutoPunch" add-on software product will add the feature of automatic conversion of an image into an embroidery design to the FUTURA software".

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004 08:12:08 PM »

Boy I hope you copied and pasted that and didn't type all of that out!  The hoop size is important.  You are correct, that means your designs cannot be any larger without splitting it up and that can be kind of tricky.  I think my machine was about $900 but I needed several programs which added on to the total.  It was totally worth it but I wanted to warn you first.  Part of the reason I went with Husqvarna is that there's a dealer not too far away and they offer free classes and help which I totally take them up on.  I would decide exactly what you want to use it for and then research those options.  Before you buy, find out what programs you absolutely must have and find out the cost.  It sounds like you can embroider pictures with the extra software but you may be limited to pre-programmed designs.  FYI: You can get a lot of free designs on the net and ones on Ebay for a reasonable price.  Also, you can check out machine embroidery magazines (Joanns sells some); sometimes they have comparison charts for different machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005 02:11:48 PM »

I have a Brother Super Ace +E and I love it. However to do my own designs on the computer and transfer it over (as it doesnt have a direct connection) the program and disk writer costs half as much again as the machine is worth. So if yours has a direct connection, so much the better (although there might be additional software anyway which can be pricey).
With the hoop size, I know that for the Brother I can by additional hoops which are large than the ones I have and another machine (Husquarna? Singer? am not sure) has an endless hoop for doing things like table cloths and curtains. Check if yours is extendible in this way.
Probably my two fave features are the automatic threader and the thread cutter, so I dont have to pull out the little scissors every time I finish a line. Although its more for sewing than embroidery, its incredibly useful to have a range of feet for doing things like zippers, button holes and bias. Even if your doesnt come with that, see also if the machine is compatible with these kinds of features.
Interestingly, now that I have a machine which can do all of this automatically, Ive found Im more into free machine embroidery and so dont use it to its full potentail. But if youre interested in that, make sure the feeder teeth can be lowered and that its easy to adjust both the top AND the bottom tension ( I have a horizontal bobbin case which is tricky).
The most important thing I think is to be certain that the company will continue supporting your machine and its software. Itd be really frustrating to lay out so much money and in 5 years not be able to interface with anything anymore (although admittedly, most sewing machine companies are more reliable than most computer companies).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
soulofgrace40

paths with obstacles always lead somewhere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005 12:12:18 PM »

http://www.icanhelpsew.com/singer-qfutura.html

Does anyone own a Furtura Embrodiary Machine or know someone who does? I have been looking at this costly yet very useful machine for my embroadiary/sewing needs. I wanted to know what the real thing was like. I trust Singer and have always had one. This hot ticket, along with your compatible computer, allows you to use your own pics to make embrodiary images.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008 06:29:55 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LIFE IS................. HAPPINESS preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'IS..................') PEACE preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'IS........................')

WHAT YOU MAKE IT. CREATE YOUR OWN DESTINY
sleazy_e
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005 01:09:33 AM »

okay, so... my parents have very generously offered to cough up the cash to buy me a sewing embroidery machine for my birthday. i've looked through what most of the brands have to offer (baby lock, singer, brother, janome, pfaff... who'd i miss?) but i'd really like some input from craftsters who've actually used these things. the main things i'm looking for are the software thingies to design your own embroidery patterns, & a good range of stitches. please help! oh, & sorry if this is redundant to another post... i was only able to find mentions of them being used, not any recommendations or anything. thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005 07:00:14 AM »

I have the Brother Pasesetter PC 6500 sewing/embroidery machine.  I chose Brother, because there are a lot of designs cards available for their machines, and they are more affordable than the European brands.  This is the most powerful machine I have ever owned.  Also, once you get away from thie discount store stuff, Brother products are very good.
Brother sew/embroidery machines.
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0114.html
Digitizing software
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0725.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005 07:13:07 AM »

i have used the brother 8500 and the ultima (without the disney designs, i wouldn't want to pay to have them in there when you can't use them for anything but personal use. not a big fan of disney anyway) and i use the brother software, PE design. i have also taken non-software specific classes in digitizing and found it to be quite lacking when up against other digitizing software. i do like the machine though and am thinking about the small industrial that they just came out with. but i think it was the janome software was the one that seemed to be easiest to use with the best tools,  if you plan on doing any digitizing.
did that help any? can you make out my thoughts?
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005 08:57:15 AM »

i have used the brother 8500 and the ultima (without the disney designs, i wouldn't want to pay to have them in there when you can't use them for anything but personal use. not a big fan of disney anyway) and i use the brother software, PE design. i have also taken non-software specific classes in digitizing and found it to be quite lacking when up against other digitizing software. i do like the machine though and am thinking about the small industrial that they just came out with. but i think it was the janome software was the one that seemed to be easiest to use with the best tools,  if you plan on doing any digitizing.
did that help any? can you make out my thoughts?
atomic mary

I really debated between the 6500 and 8500 and the ULT.  I choose the 6500 because, I didn't think that I would use very many of the built in designs, and for the price difference, I could buy the memory cards that I know I will use.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 11:22:55 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Dare: Gold Eyebrows
Must Have Beauty Essentials for Spring
5 Sneaky Reasons You Get Acne
How To Make An Exfoliator With Baking Soda
Our Picks For The Best Tanning Oil
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...