A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 48777 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atomic mary
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006 07:20:54 AM »

my mom has 2 brother embroidery machines.  she loves them! so  i haven't really been exposed to other home machines but i hear bernina is good too. as far as digitizing software i would look around for something other than pe design. i do most of the digitizing for my mom and have taken some non- software specific classes and found pe design to be really limited when i watched the other people in class using their software with so much ease! i was 1 of two people with pe design and we both ended up a little frustrated. she had the latest version at the time and i was 1 down from her.the instructor was using janome software i think and just even the tools for measuring your design was so much easier. embird is a really great editing tool and not that expensive, but you need  the other software and reader writer box too.  beware though ! it's an expensive hobby! Smiley
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006 08:40:27 AM »

It really gets expensive when you get into free standing lace (FSL)  That stuff is absolutely gorgeous, but thread hungry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006 04:14:24 AM »

Ezri_B - I think you've made a good choice with the Janome - I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000, and I adore it.  I've only had it a few weeks, and sadly haven't had the time yet to do much embroidery, ut it is easy to use, lots of good features and great clear stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cajunfamilymomof2
love crafting

CHATS DESIGNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006 07:12:22 AM »

im looking into getting an embroidery machine within the next couple of months which one would you guys recommend. i would like one that has features on the machine as for letters and basic shapes etc. but i would also like to add software to it for more detailed embroidery. ive seen one that you hook up to your computer and ive seen some that you put software into im not looking to spend over 1000.00 dollars for it but really want a good machine that is going to grow with me. the more i learn how to do i would like the machine to also
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHAT DESIGNS
DESIGNS FOR THE EVERYDAY PERSON
www.cajunbaglady.et sy.com
paroper
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006 09:10:09 AM »

If I had 1000 to spend the first machine that comes to mind is the Janome 300 embroidery only machine.  The second is a new embroidery only machine from brother.  Both of these have a 5X7 stitch field which is important because no matter what machine you get you'll never have a large enough stitch field.  There is an advantage to buying an embroidery only machine.  The cost of combo machines is high because basically you have two machines in a single cover.  The embroidery portion uses little of the sewing portion of the machine.  Also, the machines that are combo in that price range have a smaller stitch field.  It is a lot more economical to get a very good sewing machine (only) and a embroidery machine only...it also allows you to trade upward to a larger stitch field without having to basically replace a duel machine. 

The Janome machine retails for around 1500, has a great reputation and has the capacity of using a flash card and adapter for transfer of designs to your machine (this is a major consideration...som e need expensive cards and boxes as an add on).  The flash card and adapter can be purchased in a wide variety of places the adapter runs about $40.  Most people I know who have purchase the Janome machine have PAID 1000 for it so I know it can be purchased for that price.  I have HEARD that the Brother sells for around $800.  I don't know how it transfers designs.  It is very new and I don't know much about it.  Each machine has a specific format.  The most available format is PES which is used in the Brother/Babylock family of machines.  This would be the reason that I would seriously consider the Brother.  If it requires a box, I'd have to think about it because the flash card is sooooo much better. 

As for software, the most common inexpensive software is Embird.  It is purchased online.  You shouldn't have any problem researching it. 

Machine embroidery is a VERY expensive hobby and it won't be long before you realize that the machine was the CHEAP portion of the investment.  This is something that you really need to research carefully (sounds like you are).  When you embroider you can use a ton of thread colors which can be as much as $5 a pop.  Embroidery is like painting and there are colors and color blends that you don't notice when looking at a design.  It is not unusal for me to have from 25-30 colors in a single design.  Also, not all threads are good threads for certain machines.  Sulky is know for its breaks, there are others that work well in one machine, not in another.  I use Isacord which I get for $4.75 a spool.  I have all 371 colors now.  I started out by buying for the designs I wanted to use and later filled in when it was on sale.  I use Yenment metalic.  Metalics are known for problems, including breakage.  Yenment doesn't often break.  It runs around $10 a spool.  I only have about 25 of these.  I use some Madiera for special varigated colors and a little Mettler.  Although I have mixed colors, I used the Isacord for most of my embroidery, the others for special projects.  It is so much easier to make thread color conversions when you have one type of thread that you use all the time.  The colors and hues of colors are so different between brands and it is easy to duplicate colors between brands if you don't have a "plan".  It is so nice to use a conversion chart from the brand that a design was made in and convert to the color you use rather than trying to figure out if you have anything close.

Also, you need to be sharp when getting designs.  Stay away from Ebay designs until you know what to look for.  Even some sites have pirated/copywritten designs for sale or free.  There is a movement to punish buyers of pirated licensed designs.  Not all designs, even legal designs can be put on something and sold, so as you start to get new designs, be sure and check copywrites on them.  People assume that if a design is free it is theirs...but not all free designs can be put on items to be sold.  Even purchased designs can be regulated.  Just watch for copywrite infortmation.  When you get your machine often well-meaning friends will either want to copy your designs or offer your some of theirs...they may even tell you it is "ok" because they were free...well, it is never legal to use someone elses' designs, no matter where they got them...and it is never legal to share yours. 

The other issue is that you will need stabilzer.  It is bought according to the type of things you embroider.  It is used to keep the fabric from shrinking during embroidery (not make the design stiffer which is a common misconception).  The price of a roll of stabilizer usually starts about $12 a roll and goes up depending on type, width, etc.  you'll have several rolls on hand at any given time.  By the way, Stabilizer is not interfacing and serves a completely different purpose.  The machines put a lot of pressure on the embroidery hoop and design and they are very stong. 

I enjoy machine embroidery but these are the things I wish I had known when I started out.  There are several forums out there with avid machine embroidery people on board so there is a lot you can learn from the boards, even if you don't have a machine.  I would recommend that you try a few of these.  Also, patternreview invites members to write reviews of machines.  You may want to look there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floggingmolly
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006 09:21:02 AM »

Hey guys,

I would like to get an embroidery machine that can upload/download images from the pcIm not sure which ones do  Huh. I dont want one that you need diskettes for. Can anyone suggest one?   

Thanks in advance!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
PrincessKae
if the crown fits....wear it.

Kreatively Khaotic.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006 09:33:01 AM »

I work for a husqvarna viking and I'm in love with our top of the line model the Designer SE but that a big chunk of money for that we have it for $6,499. embroidery machines are a bit pricey unless you get one from like walmart but I think its worth spending the money but it saves you some money and time in the long run. I get a lot of customers that have other machines that are very frustrated with them. but its jst personal preference and how much you want to spend. got to different dealers in your town and talk to them and have them demo some machines to you and see if they give you any add perks, like classes or a machine owners discount. if you have any questions feel free to pm me. I hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006 09:34:55 AM »

Many of the embroidery machines above the bottom level will do that.  Some, like the 430 and 440 Bernina actually run from the computer directly into the machine.  THat is a blessing and a curse.  The cost of the sewing machine is less because there is no larger scale computer onboard.  The Computer gives it a much larger hard drive than the usual sewing machine BUT you have to have a computer handy when you are working which is not always idea, esp. during machine training.  As far as computers go, sewing machines are really "stupid" machines, even the expensive ones.  If you are not finding machines that directly download from a computer or a flash drive, you're just looking in the wrong place or at the wrong price tags.  As far as I know all the compaines have them.  The Janome 300 takes a flash card (like a camera) which is a lot nicer than a box if you find that your are interested in that after looking around.  It retails some place around 1500 but most people end up paying 1000 for it.  It also has a nice size stitch field for the price (5X7).  There is a new Brother machine (came out about Aug or Sept)out that sells for a little less and and has the same size stitch field but I don't know about the design transfer on that machine.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floggingmolly
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006 07:03:55 AM »

it would be great if I could afford a $6000.00 one but my budget is more along the lines of $2000.00, I do have a Janome sewing machine and I love it! I have never had a problem with it this far but I also have a Janome Serger and I wish I could say the same for it but I find it very temperamental if you will, I dont know if there embroidery machines are supposed to be any good  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
paroper
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006 07:55:10 AM »

Janome has a very good reputation.  Each machine brand has a different look to their embroidery.  It isn't just a matter of buying one machine or another, it is also a matter of personal taste.  My machine allowes for use of a personal CD, card, flash drive, or computer hook up.  I think the computer hook up is the best, however, it is very nice sometimes not to have to rely on the computer for downloads.  I do not like the cards.  I only own one and it was a mix up on the order....but it was also a closeout (cheap).  My machine is a Bernina.  I am very pleased with it but I also spent a fortune for the machine.  I hope that you find the perfect machine for you.  Brother/Babylock has some good machines.  Singers are a little on the line.  There are people who are very loyal to the Singer machines but their quality hasn't been so great over the last few years.  They are improving.  Viking and Pfaff also have very good reputations.  Viking, Pfaff and Singer have recently combined into one company. 

A plus for the Brother is that the common Brother format PES is available everywhere! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Beach Hair Waves
How to Use Beeswax in Your Hair
How to Get Hair Like a Model
How to Do Retro Hairstyles
How to Do a Faux Hawk Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...