A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 48361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NeitherSparky
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2009 09:16:57 PM »

I'm not the OP, but I am going to be getting my first embroidery machine in a month or two to start a small home business, and we went out to the best local dealer today to price machines and software. I remembered I was a member here and came to see if it had a machine embroidery section - it does yay. Wink Thank you for your advice and I'm sure I will be participating in discussions. Smiley

I am going to be getting the designing/digitizing software though which I guess a lot of people don't do because of the cost - but making my own designs is the whole point of the endeavor, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2009 04:30:51 AM »

Before you buy a pricey dealer software bundle - check online... You can try the two free softwares that are listed somewhere in this board...
and Embird has a trial period as well that you can practice with it.  Some people complain that they can't figure it out but I have found that if you do some of the tutorials it is not a scary program at all...  you just have to practice to get it right with anything...
We have a Craftster here that has an online site that sells it as well - and she gives a discount just as the other sites do that offer it - so I always suggest supporting your local Craftster before you buy it directly from Embird...

Anyhooo.... best of luck with the machine buying!
They are great to have - my biggest advice is to think of what you want NOW and what you think you might want a year from now... that bigger hoop is always a good thing.
If you are going to be using it for a business you will eventually want to get one like the Janome MB4 (which is my baby even though I don't use it for business - see?  They are addicting!) so that you can hoop things that you normally would not be able to with a regular machine..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
NeitherSparky
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2009 04:51:34 PM »

Thanks craftydeb...

Yeah, you know what, the dealer told us that if I needed the digitizing software (which I do, its kinda the whole point of getting the machine) that it would run me about 2000 dollars. She said that other people have tried to make their own software to save themselves or others money but that no one had ever succeeded, therefore one being stuck spending 2000 dollars on the software alone. Then I go online and find Embird for about 150, and not only is it compatible with just about everything but people actually (gasp) like it. Saving 2000 will certainly help me get a better machine!

Although I would like a stand-alone, multi-needle embroidery machine, I don't have the room. I was figuring on just getting a high-end combo embroidery/sewing machine, to replace my existing (cheapo) sewing machine. I don't mind changing threads as long as the machine is very good. I am looking to spend a few thousand.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but hopefully we've helped the OP some, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2009 05:07:45 PM »

I wouldn't get rid of your old sewing machine though - you will want to hook it up and sew on it while your embroidery machine is going - it is really tedious to just sit there and watch.  It's good to sew while it's running so you can keep an eye on it just in case of a malfunction like thread breaking or something... and still be able to do something constructive...  I still have my old sewing machine even though I have a nice new one here - never know when you'll need a back up or in my case have a friend over to sew Cheesy

Embird is a good program.  I think it is probably the most commonly used program out there - you'll need the add ons though - you'll want the font engine to turn true type fonts in to digitized designs (including those wingdings!) and the studio as well... it does add up but not to the $2000 for like Digitizer Pro or other big price tags - yeah, they look all pretty and whatnot and the dealer will tell you that it is oh so powerful but ya know what?  Just because it isn't as pretty doesn't mean it doesn't work as nicely... it's a great start.  If you end up making a living off of digitizing then get the big bucks one if you feel you need to upgrade - just start off with what you need and think you will need within a year and jump in!

I can't wait to see what you create!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
NeitherSparky
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2009 05:47:24 PM »

Lol I didn't even realise the plug-ins weren't free, my bad...but you're right its still cheaper.

I'm sure I'll keep my old machine, but I'm pretty sure I don't have room to have both it and another machine out at the same time. Small apartment here. Wink But, we'll see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2009 06:14:13 PM »

I keep my embroidery machine on a cart with wheels - okay, it is an av cart and it is super sturdy - not an old rickety thing Cheesy But my craft room is very small - it's in the glorified walk in closet that builders put in houses just to say there is another bedroom.... so it sits in front of a closet when it's not in use.... but it's all good - and great too being on that av cart since I can wheel it about the house anywhere I want it to go... especially since mine is uber heavy... I can't lift it safely by myself.. okay.  I'm sure I could but I don't trust myself to do so.. I let hubby do that so if he breaks it then he'll feel bad and get me a new one.... if I broke it you know he wouldn't replace it!! Wink

And you're right - it is still cheaper than the dealership programs... and extra bonus - that free trial is awesome... just download it and find some tutorials and you will be well on your way - I listed a few yahoogroups and sites that have some free tutorials somewhere in this board... you might have already come upon them.. our machine embroidery board is just slowly growing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
southernstitcher

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2009 11:05:36 AM »

Avoid Singer as if it has the black plague. They are not reliable and they are poorly made. Shame on Singer.
So true for most of their machines, like the Futura embroidery machines, which I've heard negative things about.   BUT -- I do think there is a big exception in the Quantum XL6000.  I truly have heard nothing but very good things about this TOL machine, and I've considered it in the past.  My budget wouldn't allow for it, but there are really good reviews on that machine all over the net, and I've seen many threads online where lots of people reported really being happy with theirs.  It has a load of really nice features, and is priced VERY competively.  No, I'm not associated with Singer -at all.  This machine just caught my attention with the features for the $. 
After I bought a new sewing only machine a few years ago which immediately broke, I gave up on Singer sewing machines too.  Now they are owned by the same parent company as Viking, and Pfaff, right?   And endorsed by Martha Stewart. 
Hopefully things will get better. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
lylmousy
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2009 02:36:44 PM »

Thank you for all the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only exceptionally rational people can afford to be absurd.
hazelhoney
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2009 11:56:33 AM »

I have a Disney edition Brothers embroidery machine I got as a gift about 4 years ago.  It was purchased from wal-mart for about 500.00.  It came with built in patterns and you can buy cartridges with other patterns for 60.00 last time I checked.  I've only used the functions the machine came with.  The lettering is simple and I wish I could fit more letters in a frame ( I get in about 9 in large size).  The little pictures are cute you can make them in different sizes.  I don't really use this machine that much the kid's enjoy using it from time to time to make pillows and cuffs with embroidery designs. 
I would say the down side that makes me not use the machine much is you have to get the fabric in the hoop and tighten this takes a little time and makes the fingers tired tigtening the bolt. 
You have to change thread colors manually.  To save time I just always use the same bobbin color it does fine and doesn't show up on the top.
The disney images are copyrighted so........
Anyway just really make sure your going to use the machine before you get it mine just collects dust most of the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing Diva
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2009 10:28:58 PM »

I bought a Brother's 900D in July and I love it. The only thing is it is a 4X4 I am finding out it is ok for my first one but I wish I had a 5 X7 seems there are larger patterns I want. The good thing about this machine is I have found it very user friendly and it has a cable so I can hook it up to my laptop and download designs off the internet into a file on my laptop and then pull over which ever designs I want to use at that time. I think it was a good machine for my first one. I asked my sister about it before I bought it and she checked it out at the shop that she bought her Paff or Bernina (can't remember which she has now, she has had 4) She even sewed on it and liked it. I think it was $800.00 and has a 2 year warrenty. Check out my blog to see some of the things I have made. http:/embroideryanddesigns.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raita Yogurt
How to Make Salmon and Yellowtail Sashimi
How to Make a Vegetable Sushi Roll
How to Make Vegetable Korma
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...