A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 49959 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happyfrog
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008 09:42:44 AM »

something to consider - buying a used serviced machine at a local dealer.  you'll get more bang for your buck.

i have a machine that's 13 years old (bernina bernette deco 500).  It uses *.pes format.  I have learned that I have several options in order to get more images - like free ones off the 'net, or digitized ones or whatever, by either getting an 'ultimate box' or even the simple brother pes transfer box. . . of course, i could always spend HUGE bucks and buy a bernina transfer box, but i don't feel the need.

bettyann
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
DeeQuilts
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008 12:18:13 PM »

Brother has a nice little dedicated-embroidery machine.....700II which is a 5x7 hoop machine and it connects to the computer by USB interface.  You have to buy the 4x4 and multi-position hoops but it's a nice machine......around $800.

Just a tip - if you want quality designs don't get an auto-digitizing program, the designs it creates are flat, lifeless, with *millions* of jump stitches and horrid black outlines - you cannot control the design with auto-punch software.  Learn your machine and then invest in Digitzing software that will allow you to Manually punch your designs (PEDesign, Embird, Generations, etc) - Sharp learning curve but worth it.  I've been using PEDesign since 2005 and I love it.

Here is a website where she has compared auto-digitizing to manual-punch that may give you some insight - http://www.windstarembroidery.com/machine-embroidery-digitizing.cfm?File=Comparing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008 01:34:20 PM »

I also think you make a good choice if you pick Janome 300 and Embird. It is exactly the same combination I have and it works perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008 03:00:24 PM »

I am an Embird fan.  I got it and am starting to play with it and I absolutely love it.

I am not too familiar with Singer embroidery machines.  I did buy a Singer sewing machine a few months ago and took it back - it was pretty bad in the quality department.

I have a Janome 350e and I love it however I do have hoop envy.  If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a machine that could go up to a 6x10 hoop.
Maybe next year.  Who knows... we will see. For now I do love my Janome.  It sews out nicely and I have been happy with it.

I would also avoid the auto digitizing programs.  You won't be happy with what you get in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
guldikr
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008 11:00:28 AM »

I have the babylock ellure that is a combo machine.  I love it! :-)  Haven't embroidered in a few months though.. mainly been using it for  sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2008 02:15:39 PM »

o gosh ghillie - this is the machine I'm looking at buying too. how is it at sewing heavy duty material? and do you HAVE to have a laptop or can I just run the machine next to my regular computer for designs??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2008 04:40:35 PM »

I don't sew a lot of heavy duty things, so I couldn't say.  It does suck at sewing skinny things like ribbon.  And you have to learn how to thread it just so or it gives you the ghost error.   

You don't have to have a laptop, but your computer will have to be pretty close to your sewing machine.  It plugs in with a USB cable.

If you have a mechanical machine that you love, use both.  I do like the way that it embroiders, and all the fancy stitches are great.  But as a sewing machine, I have issues that I think I would have with any electronic machine...  There's just no replacing a good ol' mechanical machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2008 04:40:51 PM »

ok you smart crafty peeps!

I have a question...

I am pretty sold on buying an embroidery machine and I'm pretty sold on buying a new singer.

I'm looking at the Futura line of machines. From the singer site all I can tell is the the regular futura comes with instructional CD's and more feet and fewer built in stitches. the Quantum Futura comes with no instructional stuff, less feet but more stitches.

Anything else?

for reference - the 2 machines I'm looking at are these:
http://www.singerco.com/resources/compare.html?machine_ids=897,1494

can anyone find more differences?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want a sticker?
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2008 05:02:04 PM »

ok I just took a quick peek
 200 has no automatic tension the 350 does( I prefer to do my tension manually)
and the spare feet ask yourself if you would ever really use them, I mean a zipper foot is a must but can be bought seperate, I assume.

otherwise they seem pretty equal, once you watch a cd though you never really use it again.
compare the prices and go with which machine you like better.

what size embroidery field do they have?
this is the big ? you want something with at least a 4x4 and a 5x7 field or you won't be happy in the long run.

ok just took a quick peek again and they both have the same size embroidery field BUT the 00 comes with an embroidery extra package which could e a good thing....there is a tutorial cd in the package.

I would say go to a store and take a look at both machines and they choose from there.
An embroidery machine is a personal choice I have 3 and love them all for different reasons.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008 05:05:15 PM by Tanza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2008 05:51:02 PM »

YOU HAVE 3!! @_@ wow

I've had several singers so I probably have most of the basic feet already.

I think I might need the automatic tension, since that seems to be my weakest point with sewing, getting the tension correct. BUT - if the Quantum is cheaper that's probably what I'll go with Wink

thanks for the info Tanza.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want a sticker?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Nude Woman
How to Brian Griffin
How to Draw Chowder
Matchbook Canvas Art
How to Get Your Artwork Shown at a Gallery
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...