A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Which Embroidery Machine Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 48612 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hardkandi
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2007 08:17:18 AM »

Im looking into embroidery machines and Im stuck. Im looking for one that I can draw a very simple picture and have my machine stitch it out for me. Someone told me I would have to buy additional software for seven fifty. Now I thought she meant $7.50 but NO she meant $750.00!!! I wanted to die! Or laugh in her faceor both. Is this true?! Help me please!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2007 12:23:32 PM »

there are less expensive versions out there.  It's been ages since I've kept up on this, but the first one that comes to mind is Embird (embrid.com).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2007 04:13:41 PM »

Ok!  So my dh bought me a Futura for Christmas, and yes, I know it's November!  I have had it for all of six hours and I like it. 

When I was looking for an embroidery machine I went to a shop and asked the people who worked there what they thought about the Futura.  They told me I would be throwing my money away and showed me a $3000 machine that threads itself, and ONLY does embroidery.  (For $3000, it better also do the dishes.)  So I ran into a lot of snobbery about sewing/embroidery machines.  But I got the Futura anyway, keeping my fingers crossed that it would be a good machine. 

So here's what I like about it:

1. Contrary to what I heard, it does have a zipper foot and a foot pedal.  Whew!  It also has a blind hem foot, which I like.  Never had one of those before.

2.  It has a lot of neat stitches already programmed into it.  As a sewing machine, I am quite pleased with it.  It has an automatic (not electronic) needle threader, which takes a bit to get used to, but once you do it's nice.

3.  I can convert anything into an embroidery pattern using the free auto punch software that comes with it.  I haven't actually embroidered anything using auto punch, I will include a picture when I do. I did, however, make a pattern for the claddaugh.  I will try that next time.

4.  I generally like Singers.  I have had Singers for the last 12 years and will probably continue to have them. I like the easy, drop in bobbin.

5.  Here's a picture of the sample, first time, getting to know you embroidery:

Not bad.

Something that annoys me is you gotta have your laptop plugged into the machine and your machine set up for embroidery before it will let you open the Futura software on your computer.  So no surfing the web in the spare time and transferring images to patterns.  poopie.

Now, if you are about to start an embroidery business, then no, go get yourself a $3000 machine.

If you are like me and just wanna embroider curse words and silly pictures, and your hubby wants to get you an expensive toy, go ahead!  I don't feel like I "threw my money away".

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
owl be there
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2007 08:43:31 AM »

thats cool --- you can make your own embroidery patterns out of pictures and it will sew it for you!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2007 08:45:34 AM »

yes, I haven't tried it yet, but I have one ready to go.  I will post the picture as soon as it is done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
frankandcathy
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2007 09:40:47 PM »

Hi all. 

I am in the market for an embroidery machine and am super confused about what to look for. 

I understand that there will be big differences in machines depending upon price. 

What I can't figure out is: do ALL embroidery machines sew as well?  Are they all fully functional in that the plate height may be changed, needle position changed, button holes sewn, tension and stitch length adjusted, all different foot attachments may be used, etc? 

Also, I read somewhere that there is a software that you can buy to create your own custom designs of any size or shape but that it runs $1200.  I just can't believe that this is true.  Surely there must be a software cheaper than that.  And if so...will it work with any machine? 

I just can't figure it all out.  Please help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2007 08:53:30 AM »

No, not all embroidery machines double as regular sewing machines, but many do.

If you do heavy duty sewing, many embroidery capable machines may be too delicate.

Some embroidery machines come with disks or set programmed designs & only their brand of stuff is useable in those machines (usually the less expensive ones). Most machines that have the flexibility of design require a program in your computer & either a hot wire connection or usb to travel the designs from computer to sewing machine.

Yes, most design programs are pretty pricey. Basicly they are a translator, from picture to machine language. They have come down considerably in the last ten years, but the lowest I've seen recently was $600 US for a design program.

If you do a lot of sewing or particularly heavy duty sewing (tote bags & such) you might prefer an embroidery only machine. This frees up a good deal of time as you can be sewing parts together while something else gets details as well as the time switching needles, threads etc.

The least expensive machines with embroidery bits added are pretty limited- look hard before spending the money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shelichan

Fashion designer for hire in NYC!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007 08:49:39 PM »

I just got a Singer CE 100, and you can get software for it (or get the CE 200 which comes with it) for $200. I just got it tonight... Im going to exchange it for the CE 200 which has less complaints and comes with the software.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Childrenswear & womenswear designer for hire in NYC!
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007 08:03:38 AM »

Yep, the CE-200 will allow you to create your own designs with the software that comes with it. It's also a "combination" machine which means that it's also a regular sewing machine, I'm not sure if that's something that's important to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008 05:54:16 AM »

I have a Janome 350e - which is just the newer version of the 300. I do love my machine and will be happy to help in any way I can!

Embird is the way to go - and when you do decide to get it, please get it from www.cara4webshoppin g.com - that is sewknitter's site - she's a great Craftster and she also discounts the cost of it as well.
She is fantastic to deal with...

Okay.  I sound like a sales pitch...

Also - there is a thread started to request a machine embroidery thread...
please pop in and voice your yeah! this would be fantastic!  There are a lot of Craftsters here that do have a machine but just don't share their works/joys/frustrations/questions/advice... and I would love to see it happen - but until the numbers look better it won't happen... hopefully we can spread the word and - word of mouth can go a long way even if it takes a long time!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=221955.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Copy SOP - SideFX Houdini
How to Use Metaballs - SideFX Houdini
How to Texture - SideFX Houdini
How to Do the ScreenFlow Zoom Effect - Motion 3
How to Use Macros - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...