A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: embroidering...?  (Read 1823 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 26, 2004 07:36:48 AM »

X_x; Sorry if this is in the wrong..board..I've been I guess, watching and reading stuff from Craftster for awhile now, but had no reason to post because my stuff is so crappy Tongue so..yeah, this is m'first post, and I was wondering..sorry if its a dumb question, but exactly how does embroidering work? I mean, i've never looked at it closely, but is it a lot of work? or is it just like, a huge thick chunk of embroidery-stuff slapped on something? I was going to buy this on ebay today, but realized someone probably made it and it isn't real band-merchandise and yeah. If someone did make it, couldn't i make it?

Yeah. o_o;; thanks for any help ^^;;
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004 09:04:51 AM »

I'm far from an expert on embroidery, but that looks too intricate to be done by hand. There are sewing machines out now that you can program to do that stuff for you. I'd love to have one but they're so expensive.

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004 12:35:25 PM »

i work with sewing machines and i'd bet money that hat was done by machine! it look far too fine and precise.

you could do it by hand, it would be really straightforward. check out www.sublimestitching.com for some funky inspiration  Grin

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004 12:48:52 PM »

It looks incredibly neat and precise so it might have been done by machine, but it would be easy enough to replicate it with hand embroidery.  You'll need to find instructions with pictures online or a book (libraries are a beautiful thing) b/c it's too hard to give instructions without illustrations.
Basically, though, you'll trace the pattern and cover it with a satin stitch, which isn't too difficult.  
I don't think embroidery is too time consuming.  It's worth it, and it's very portable!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004 12:05:23 PM »

You could always just hand paint embroidery designs--there are lots of fun transfer patterns available.  Or you can combine painting with embroidery details like on this pillow (sorry, the link won't be available long)

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Audio Speakers Installed in Hollowed Tree Trunks
Upside Down Fan Built Using a Helicopter
The Freedom Tower Rises: Rebuilding 1 World Trade Center
The Bay Bridge LED Project
Tapping the Crowd to Design a New Kind of Retirement Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...