A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newbie q: is there EASY software that will convert a hand-drawing for a machine?  (Read 68 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Theresse
« on: July 05, 2014 11:54:14 PM »

Hello-

I realize I probably sound ridiculous... oh well!  Roll Eyes  Oh and also, I don't understand a lot of the words and embroidery jargon so when I've googled in search of this answer, I don't get very far!

I'm considering buying an embroidery-only machine, after no luck of trying to figure out how to decently hand-embroider (from books and youtube).  Even called around and there appear to be no teachers in my town to teach me for money!  Crazy.  It may not help that I'm left-handed, I don't know.

Anyway, in this case at least, I'm more interested in the end-result as opposed to the process (e.g. more quickly making gifts for multiple people, which takes time, as opposed to the slower, zen experience of going into the zone during the homemade process) if that makes sense.  I have other things for said "zen" experience e.g. knitting, playing instruments, etc.

All that said, I'm not super happy about the idea of making embroidered gifts based on other people's designs, within reason.  I'd really like to be able to "write" (embroider) short sentences for example onto fabric that will be cut and appliqued onto something like a pillow, but using my own handwriting so to speak.  Especially when I think of giving something like that to my children.  I'd basically like to cheat but without losing that personal touch (the style of my own handwriting) without it taking as long as hand-embroidering would!  Same with drawings/designs although frankly I'm not to that point yet.

So, I'm wondering if there's extremely simple software out there (particularly Mac-friendly - or friendly enough) that will allow me to hand-draw or hand-write onto a piece of paper (or digital screen?) and then will convert it to a digitized image that can be transferred into an embroidery machine WITHOUT my having to delve into the technical, preparatory aspects of the digitization.  In other words I'd love to find software that will take what I've drawn (via scanner?) and not ask too many questions of me, for a beginner's level at least.  E.g. I'll say the size I want it to be and what type of thread I want to use or how wide I want the font to be maybe (?) and it will do the rest - or at least offer a simple version with the option of growing into more details and options withint the program later maybe.

Is there such simple, rudimentary, intuitive, automatic software out there for beginners??  Can I have my cake and eat it too???

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_charade
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014 08:17:56 AM »

Nope. Sorry.

There's "sort of" automated software, but it'll cost upwards of $3000.

Affordable software (in the $200-$300 range) doesn't automatically create designs from a drawing. Embird is a good program, the basic license costs $164, and the license for the designer is $150. You need to know how to use a vector program, then import your vector into Embird, and it will fill in the stitches based on your instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014 10:29:59 AM »

The easiest solution (but very pricy) would be to get a Brother Quattro 3 machine.  It is a sewing/embroidery combo and it comes with a 10" Pen Tablet with My Custom Design feature.  Basically it takes what you write/draw on the tablet and converts it to embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
How to Change a Needle Light
How to Stem Stitch
How to Baby Cross Stitch
How to Do Needlepoint with Wool
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...