A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beach glass  (Read 4030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

simply
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004 12:41:17 PM »

another way to drill glass (it works on seashells and they're about the same hardness)  would be to take a small metal tin ( like altoids), put the glass shard in it, fill it with vegetable oil, just enough to cover the drilling area, then drill with a small carbide (sp?) bit.  keep just enough pressure on it to keep it in place, the weight of the drill will be enough to do the drilling. if your using a dremel keep it at 5 or 6.  a slow and steady pressue is key. the oil will act as a lubricant and a coolant. the glass might shatter if it heats up too quickly, or too much pressure is applied.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowrider
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004 02:04:48 PM »

I made seaglass potpourri and it holds the scent fine.  Just mixed mineral oil & essential oil, put the glass in a plastic baggie and shook it all together.  Makes the glass look shiny & pretty too.

I do like the idea of scenting sand though!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all the freaky people make the beauty of the world
CraftyLea14
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004 05:16:17 AM »

Ummm just out of subject...can you find beach glass in Mexico and cuba ? I'm going there and i also LOVE beach glass..it will be my first time so that's why i was wondering if their little treasures iver there too.. Cheesy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Freckles
I am Woman...Hear me Roar

I am an Addict.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2004 08:02:56 AM »

Girl...I also am addicted to finding the stuff...you can drill through the larger pieces....A diamond tipped drill bit is essential, I bought one for my dremel for like 6 bucks at a lapidary(stone and gem shop)  The clamp fixings for pennants didn't do it for me.  To hold it steady, I squished it into pretty dry modeling clay, on a block of wood, and held on like heck...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCanuck
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004 05:13:37 AM »

I have no idea if this si a possibility for you, but it's a cool craft nonetheless.

While I was on the Queen Charlotte Islands (off the northwest coast of Canada), where there is tons of beach glass to be found, I saw the most amazing countertop.

The people had taken a sheet of plywood and nailed a wooden border around the edges so it stuck up about 1.5".  Then they laid shells and beach glass on the plywood to cover it, leaving some spaces between the stuff.  The shells and glass shouldn't stick up past the top of the wooden border.  Then they poured in melted epoxy (is that the right word?  It's clear plasticky stuff that you can melt and pour, and then it hardens), let it harden, and ended up with this gorgeous, unique, heat-resistant countertop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripyk

thats me in that photo. my name is actually Chloe

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2004 03:14:33 AM »

there was a thread on this site somewhere about big resin rectanguar shapes and putiing glass in it.then whent he resin is still soft then make two holes on eack side then attach them all together with jumprings and when the light shines through all the bits of glass make the room look sparkly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello
bookgirl
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2004 07:29:24 AM »

I just collected a bunch of sea glass this past weekend and made my first ever bracelet out of it.  It was incredibly easy: less than an hour of fumbling with wire,  and cheap (maybe $1 for materials).  

I just wired each piece of glass with 24 gauge wire (creating loops with the wire as I went to connect each finished piece to the next as I started wiring it) and finished it off with a split ring on each end and a lobster claw clasp.  I'm not totally  satisfied, since my wrapping looks like a third-grader did it and at least one piece needs to be redone, but I think it's okay for a first attempt.  I'd love to be able to make graceful, elegant jewelry, but this will have to do.

The picture isn't so great (the glass is actually a pretty pale green, not grey), my apologies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004 07:52:41 AM »

This was your FIRST try?!?!
I think the bracelet came out amazing! I imagine it looks even prettier being a pale green
thanks for posting this bookgirl, I will have to go and hunt some sea glass now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

papertoes
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004 08:04:52 AM »

Wow, beach glass!  I've never heard of this before!  I want to go to the beach now!

Your bracelet is sooo pretty, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't worry about the world ending today.  It's already tomorrow in Australia."  ~Charles Schulz
bookgirl
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2004 08:21:57 AM »

Gosh, thanks for the kind words!  I'm actually blushing!  The wire is still a little clunky so the bracelet doesn't sit on my wrist quite as flat as I'd like it to, but I'm pretty pleased.

I've picked up sea glass for years on beaches, and it seems easier to find on pebble beaches than sand.  This last place was a little cove in Rhode Island and it was just full of glass -- some still pretty sharp, so I wear flipflops.  I usually throw sharp pieces back in the water to help along the erosion process.

I've got a larger curved piece I'd like to turn into a cuff bracelet but I haven't begun to work that one out yet.  I don't think wiring's going to do the job.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Tips From Gwyneth Paltrow And Sandra Bullock
5 Must-Have Beauty Products For Fall
Zac Posen - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Best Lip Liners For All Skin Types
Would You Dare to Wear Some of These Looks from London Fashion Week?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...