A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: from coat to messanger bag  (Read 45698 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Local Girl Denise
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004 02:36:19 AM »

I was thinking about doing that to and old coat of my dads like a year ago. Thank you for posting. I very muhc enjoy my new bag
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
chainreaction
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004 01:19:46 PM »

I was thinking about doing that to and old coat of my dads like a year ago. Thank you for posting. I very muhc enjoy my new bag

how did you reinforce the straps on the sides? i was thinking i should probably do it to my bag, because i'm carrying my books in them and they're pretty heavy. did you just go over the straps a few times? looks great by the way !! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarandCandy

I Love Chocolate.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2004 08:24:06 AM »

soooo cool i went out and bought an old man's coat last night from goodwill!  it's amazing how good the quality of wool is, which is great considering i paid $5 Cdn. for the coat.  all seams are officially ripped out and now to embark on sewing! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallysparks
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2004 10:33:25 AM »

chainrecation_, i love your bag. a lot. don't you love buying stuff for cheap and using it to make something wonderful?
Along that line, i wanted to include a warning. I made a handbag last year from a pleather/vinyl/mystery fabric coat i bought at goodwill and it was impossible fabric. it just ripped anytime you tried to sew it. *so* if you are re-using coats, be sure that the fabric is a usable one, even if it is super cute. i was so frustrated but at least i only spent about $2. Anyway, a word to the wise.
But yours is awesome. I absolutely love it.
Good job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2004 03:01:49 PM »

anyway you have to be kind of patient to use a coat. it took A LOT of seam ripping to finally get it all apart and get the lining out, and i basically used the whole coat.. i only have a bit of scraps left over. i even used the sleeves as the strap.

For those of us with no patience, is it ok if you just cut along the seams?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2004 04:51:26 PM »

Or you could leave the seams and let them add a bit of style to the bag. Smiley  I do this when I change jeans into bags.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Local Girl Denise
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004 01:44:59 AM »

Um on the sides I just foulded the strap under once and then sewed a square over the strap and a x in the middle.  Then i just sewed over the square and the x several times to make sure it was on really good. I hope i made sense cuz I have this thing where i make the kind of sense that dosnt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
Slasm
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2004 08:06:25 AM »

Hmm...I can't really tell from the pictures but i was just wondering if you used the jacket lining for the lining of the bag or if you used a different fabric? thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTee_2

Harry Potter is Love.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2004 10:55:51 AM »

I think that is a cute idea. I think that it looks great and I will be checkin out mens coats in a WHOLE new way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly
chainreaction
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004 04:41:48 PM »

Hmm...I can't really tell from the pictures but i was just wondering if you used the jacket lining for the lining of the bag or if you used a different fabric? thanks!

the lining of the coat was sort of a satin-ish material, and i didn't think it would be easy to sew. so i took it out and just used some black cotton fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
‘Top Chef’ Host Perfects Stir Fry
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kha Gai) Recipe
Filipino Dinner Roll Recipe (Pandesal)
Cooking With Miso
Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...