A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,497
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: from coat to messanger bag  (Read 44613 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nutritiousmushroom
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2004 10:18:26 PM »

okay.. an ABSOLUTE ABSOLUTE ABSOLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE newbie here.. i mean.. we're talking about never even touched a needle in her life because it's pointy.  Undecided so. when i first saw your bag. i just needed to have it.. i mean everything from the material that you used.. and how it's a messanger bag.. just head over heels!! so.. i need like a step by step how to do thing.. so.. i was wondering if you could email me a DETAILED tutorial? thanks! muffinsaredelicious@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merrikat
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2004 07:34:48 AM »

I became obsessed with making bags for a while but could not afford the store bought material.  But the thrift store by my apartment sells clothes for $.25 - 1.00.  So now I only buy suit coats (for the tweed or cords) Table cloths, blankets, curtains and plus size dresses.  Oh, and prom dresses.  There are all kinds of great materials out there.  The trick is to picture the cloth as something it isn't yet but will be soon.  And it is CHEAP! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
__angie
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004 12:17:14 PM »

I looooove your bag! I'm crazy about bags. Although, isn't everyone here?!? Anyway, I'm a total newbie, too. I have actually sewed a few things in my life, but um.. yeah, those didn't quite work out, but I might give that bag a try though. I could use a step by step tutorial too, though..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zilver
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2004 06:12:30 PM »

I became obsessed with making bags for a while but could not afford the store bought material.  But the thrift store by my apartment sells clothes for $.25 - 1.00.  So now I only buy suit coats (for the tweed or cords) Table cloths, blankets, curtains and plus size dresses.  Oh, and prom dresses.  There are all kinds of great materials out there.  The trick is to picture the cloth as something it isn't yet but will be soon.  And it is CHEAP! Smiley
O_O I never knew so many articles of clothing can make a bag...but question, won't the prom dresses materials be too flimsy for a bag? Is store bought material really that expensive?
my bag has been holding up well, although there have been a few small places where the seam has split, but i think that's because i'm rough with it and it's been carrying around my very heavy schoolbooks. and i knew i shouldve sewn the seams twice! but i was too lazy. oh well.
I was woundering about the seams, since all  my bags that weren't commercially made always seem to ripe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Merrikat
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004 04:42:58 AM »

Hey Zilver-The prom dress material is flimsier than say a suit coat, but you can stiffen it up with interfacing or use the satin or velvet as the lining for a suit coat bag.  The possabilities are endless.

And store bought fabric is more expensive than $.25.  And I have made about 19 bags.  I expect it wouldn't be a problem if I went out and sold them.  But as it is, I just keep making them. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nolliegirl
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2004 07:01:07 AM »

great picture tutorial.  i used it and my bag came out pretty good.  i love your bag, thanks for posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
chainreaction
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2004 01:17:53 PM »

thanks everyone!

i emailed a few people who were interested in a more detailed tutorial... although sadly i can't remember exactly what i did for a lot of it.

anyway if theres anyone else who would like me to try to explain it in more detail please email me or leave another msg.

xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
t0xicity
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2004 01:58:47 PM »

Awesome bag!  I'm definately going to have to keep my eye out for coats like that, I want to make one, now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jiggawhat
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2004 10:20:21 PM »

Shocked I love this bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superminx
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2004 03:19:30 AM »

Great! Way to reincarnate a dying garment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: Posture and Hand Position
Crochet for Beginners: Triple Crochet Stitch
Crochet for Beginners: Single Crochet Stitch
Increasing and Decreasing and Dropping Stitches
Crochet for Beginners: How to Join Motifs or Make Seams
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...