A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 309,975
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: from coat to messanger bag  (Read 53331 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Local Girl Denise
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2004 02:36:19 AM »

I was thinking about doing that to and old coat of my dads like a year ago. Thank you for posting. I very muhc enjoy my new bag
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
chainreaction
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2004 01:19:46 PM »

I was thinking about doing that to and old coat of my dads like a year ago. Thank you for posting. I very muhc enjoy my new bag

how did you reinforce the straps on the sides? i was thinking i should probably do it to my bag, because i'm carrying my books in them and they're pretty heavy. did you just go over the straps a few times? looks great by the way !! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugarandCandy

I Love Chocolate.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2004 08:24:06 AM »

soooo cool i went out and bought an old man's coat last night from goodwill!  it's amazing how good the quality of wool is, which is great considering i paid $5 Cdn. for the coat.  all seams are officially ripped out and now to embark on sewing! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sallysparks
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2004 10:33:25 AM »

chainrecation_, i love your bag. a lot. don't you love buying stuff for cheap and using it to make something wonderful?
Along that line, i wanted to include a warning. I made a handbag last year from a pleather/vinyl/mystery fabric coat i bought at goodwill and it was impossible fabric. it just ripped anytime you tried to sew it. *so* if you are re-using coats, be sure that the fabric is a usable one, even if it is super cute. i was so frustrated but at least i only spent about $2. Anyway, a word to the wise.
But yours is awesome. I absolutely love it.
Good job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2004 03:01:49 PM »

anyway you have to be kind of patient to use a coat. it took A LOT of seam ripping to finally get it all apart and get the lining out, and i basically used the whole coat.. i only have a bit of scraps left over. i even used the sleeves as the strap.

For those of us with no patience, is it ok if you just cut along the seams?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2004 04:51:26 PM »

Or you could leave the seams and let them add a bit of style to the bag. Smiley  I do this when I change jeans into bags.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Local Girl Denise
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004 01:44:59 AM »

Um on the sides I just foulded the strap under once and then sewed a square over the strap and a x in the middle.  Then i just sewed over the square and the x several times to make sure it was on really good. I hope i made sense cuz I have this thing where i make the kind of sense that dosnt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I use to be with it. Then they changed what it was. Now what im with isnt it and whats it scares me.
Slasm
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2004 08:06:25 AM »

Hmm...I can't really tell from the pictures but i was just wondering if you used the jacket lining for the lining of the bag or if you used a different fabric? thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissTee_2

Harry Potter is Love.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2004 10:55:51 AM »

I think that is a cute idea. I think that it looks great and I will be checkin out mens coats in a WHOLE new way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swap Friendly
chainreaction
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004 04:41:48 PM »

Hmm...I can't really tell from the pictures but i was just wondering if you used the jacket lining for the lining of the bag or if you used a different fabric? thanks!

the lining of the coat was sort of a satin-ish material, and i didn't think it would be easy to sew. so i took it out and just used some black cotton fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Hot Hot Pads
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...