A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: from coat to messanger bag  (Read 44428 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chainreaction
« on: January 26, 2004 06:03:19 PM »

alright. so i have been wanting to make a messanger bag for awhile. and i've been wanting to make it out of cord, or something else as thick. yet everytime i went to the store to look at fabric, i would look at it longingly knowing i could never bring myself to spend that much.

and then i had a great idea! what if i bought something at frenchys [used clothes] and used that material? so that's exactly what i did.

to:

inside:

it holds two binders... so hopefully i'll be able to use it as a bookbag seeing as the one i have now is falling apart.

it was the first time using interfacing, and i really liked it. i'm definitely going to have to use it for future projects. andd i'm very proud of this bag Smiley

edit::

i have 3 rectangles of outer (10" by 14"), 3 rectangles of lining (10" by 14"), 2 strips of outer (10" by 4"), 2 strips of inner (10" by 4"), 2 strips of outer (14" by 4") and 2 strips of inner (14" by 4"). phew that was confusing. PLUS fabric for the strap which isn't here... and i didn't measure it. :/

then i made two uhh things out of the inner and outer fabric.

and the outer, and lining for flaps.

i hope this gives you more of an idea, if you have anymore questions please ask !
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 11:16:14 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004 06:12:53 PM »

you really did a great job!  what an great idea, too.  i've been wanting to make a bag outta cord, too.  or something just as thick.  it's amazing how high some fabric can get!  thank you for sharing your bag & for showing us how wonderful a piec of used clothing can look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amalia
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004 06:13:52 PM »

I love that! Now i have a reason to go to Saver's and look at old man coats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004 06:16:37 PM »

Beautifully done!
What a great way to re-purpose a coat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
chainreaction
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004 06:28:53 PM »

i meant to put this in at the top, but i forgot and i don't know how to edit my entry.

anyway you have to be kind of patient to use a coat. it took A LOT of seam ripping to finally get it all apart and get the lining out, and i basically used the whole coat.. i only have a bit of scraps left over. i even used the sleeves as the strap.

and thanks for the kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beebidollz

and the green grass grows all around

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004 06:36:02 PM »

i LOVE THIS BAG! i keep looking back at the bag while im writing my reply lol i love this bag!!!!!! i want one!
is the flap part of the original piece? of is it seperate? like did u make a seperate piece for the flap!?!? i wanna do a bag with a flap soon.. so i needddd to know.
u didnt use interfacing did u?

omg i just looked at the bag again!! i wanna make one just like it@!
was it hard to sew onit? tell us allllll about it!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

werd....
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004 07:22:15 PM »

love it!!!
what a great idea!!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmj44

Punk Rock Knitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004 08:17:08 PM »

alright. so i have been wanting to make a messanger bag for awhile. and i've been wanting to make it out of cord, or something else as thick. yet everytime i went to the store to look at fabric, i would look at it longingly knowing i could never bring myself to spend that much.

I always thought that about cords too, but the beautiful thing about bags is that you don't need a large continuous piece at one time, so that means - remenants!  JoAnn's is have a clearance sale on them right now too!  I bought about 3 yards of different types all for under $1.00 total!  Also, the idea about recycling old coats is great too.  The thrift shops should be getting rid of their winter coats about this time, so start lookin g out for 50% off sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004 08:21:22 PM »

remenants! JoAnn's is have a clearance sale on them right now too! I bought about 3 yards of different types all for under $1.00 total! Also, the idea about recycling old coats is great too. The thrift shops should be getting rid of their winter coats about this time, so start lookin g out for 50% off sales.                                                                

thanks for the tip!! i get paid this friday and i know where i'm going shopping this weekend!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004 12:49:52 AM »

my boyfriend makes music and has been bugging me for months to make him a messenger bag to take record shopping... looks like i might finally make him one.. out of one of his jackets!
well.. one of his jackets and some lining. he has a really cool blue quilted jacket that would make such a good messenger bag.
now.. i wish i had a digital camera..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2014 - Paris Fashion Week
The Best Beauty Vitamins
Tips and Tricks for Engagement Session Beauty
How To Create the Perfect Pout
More Smoke Less Drama
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...