A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: from coat to messanger bag  (Read 44319 times)
Tags for this thread: messenger_bag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chainreaction
« on: January 26, 2004 06:03:19 PM »

alright. so i have been wanting to make a messanger bag for awhile. and i've been wanting to make it out of cord, or something else as thick. yet everytime i went to the store to look at fabric, i would look at it longingly knowing i could never bring myself to spend that much.

and then i had a great idea! what if i bought something at frenchys [used clothes] and used that material? so that's exactly what i did.

to:

inside:

it holds two binders... so hopefully i'll be able to use it as a bookbag seeing as the one i have now is falling apart.

it was the first time using interfacing, and i really liked it. i'm definitely going to have to use it for future projects. andd i'm very proud of this bag Smiley

edit::

i have 3 rectangles of outer (10" by 14"), 3 rectangles of lining (10" by 14"), 2 strips of outer (10" by 4"), 2 strips of inner (10" by 4"), 2 strips of outer (14" by 4") and 2 strips of inner (14" by 4"). phew that was confusing. PLUS fabric for the strap which isn't here... and i didn't measure it. :/

then i made two uhh things out of the inner and outer fabric.

and the outer, and lining for flaps.

i hope this gives you more of an idea, if you have anymore questions please ask !
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 11:16:14 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004 06:12:53 PM »

you really did a great job!  what an great idea, too.  i've been wanting to make a bag outta cord, too.  or something just as thick.  it's amazing how high some fabric can get!  thank you for sharing your bag & for showing us how wonderful a piec of used clothing can look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amalia
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004 06:13:52 PM »

I love that! Now i have a reason to go to Saver's and look at old man coats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i'll carry you, if you promise to carry me, and we'll carry we. it's a simple thing, you and me.
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004 06:16:37 PM »

Beautifully done!
What a great way to re-purpose a coat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
chainreaction
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004 06:28:53 PM »

i meant to put this in at the top, but i forgot and i don't know how to edit my entry.

anyway you have to be kind of patient to use a coat. it took A LOT of seam ripping to finally get it all apart and get the lining out, and i basically used the whole coat.. i only have a bit of scraps left over. i even used the sleeves as the strap.

and thanks for the kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beebidollz

and the green grass grows all around

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004 06:36:02 PM »

i LOVE THIS BAG! i keep looking back at the bag while im writing my reply lol i love this bag!!!!!! i want one!
is the flap part of the original piece? of is it seperate? like did u make a seperate piece for the flap!?!? i wanna do a bag with a flap soon.. so i needddd to know.
u didnt use interfacing did u?

omg i just looked at the bag again!! i wanna make one just like it@!
was it hard to sew onit? tell us allllll about it!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

werd....
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004 07:22:15 PM »

love it!!!
what a great idea!!!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmj44

Punk Rock Knitter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004 08:17:08 PM »

alright. so i have been wanting to make a messanger bag for awhile. and i've been wanting to make it out of cord, or something else as thick. yet everytime i went to the store to look at fabric, i would look at it longingly knowing i could never bring myself to spend that much.

I always thought that about cords too, but the beautiful thing about bags is that you don't need a large continuous piece at one time, so that means - remenants!  JoAnn's is have a clearance sale on them right now too!  I bought about 3 yards of different types all for under $1.00 total!  Also, the idea about recycling old coats is great too.  The thrift shops should be getting rid of their winter coats about this time, so start lookin g out for 50% off sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mari_meow_meow
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004 08:21:22 PM »

remenants! JoAnn's is have a clearance sale on them right now too! I bought about 3 yards of different types all for under $1.00 total! Also, the idea about recycling old coats is great too. The thrift shops should be getting rid of their winter coats about this time, so start lookin g out for 50% off sales.                                                                

thanks for the tip!! i get paid this friday and i know where i'm going shopping this weekend!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004 12:49:52 AM »

my boyfriend makes music and has been bugging me for months to make him a messenger bag to take record shopping... looks like i might finally make him one.. out of one of his jackets!
well.. one of his jackets and some lining. he has a really cool blue quilted jacket that would make such a good messenger bag.
now.. i wish i had a digital camera..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...