A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EZ Baby Surprise Jacket sizing  (Read 1232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2007 06:46:54 AM »

How big is this supposed to be?  I'm getting the gauge of 6sts/in, but when I fold it up, the chest measurement is only 15", and according to several other patterns I found, the 0-3 month size should be 18-20".  I'm up to picking up stitches for the button band, and I can't see it magically growing 3-5".  I need to have two of these done by this weekend. 

I've never knit baby things before and the last time I was around a baby I was about 10 myself, so I'm really in the dark.  Is it supposed to be this small or do I frog and go up a needle size?  On a side note, the family lives in Texas, so bigger isn't always better.  I don't want it to fit them in the middle of the summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007 03:53:28 PM »

A pediatrician I know pegged the kids in the photos at 9 months old. :/

If you want to add width or length, that can be done easily enough be picking up stitches from the wrong side and adding. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkyswear
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007 08:14:54 AM »

Baby Size Chart. I've found that link very helpful in the past! It says your sweater should fit a 0-3 month baby...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007 08:24:13 AM »

How big is this supposed to be?  I'm getting the gauge of 6sts/in, but when I fold it up, the chest measurement is only 15", and according to several other patterns I found, the 0-3 month size should be 18-20".  I'm up to picking up stitches for the button band, and I can't see it magically growing 3-5".  I need to have two of these done by this weekend. 

I've never knit baby things before and the last time I was around a baby I was about 10 myself, so I'm really in the dark.  Is it supposed to be this small or do I frog and go up a needle size?  On a side note, the family lives in Texas, so bigger isn't always better.  I don't want it to fit them in the middle of the summer.

You can do more buttonband rows - those rows add width to the front,  and length to the entire sweater. I'm not sure how that'll affect the fit if the back is narrower than the front, though.

If it helps, on this sweater, 45 stitches is the back width. You'd need a gauge of about 4.5 st/inch to get a 20" sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007 08:27:45 AM »

If you want to add width or length, that can be done easily enough be picking up stitches from the wrong side and adding. 

Huh On the baby surprise sweater? I've made it a few times,  and I don't get what/where you mean. I mean, I how how to pick up stitches and knit, but this sweater doesn't seem like you could it that way. I can see adding length by doing more rows on the center stitches before the buttonband rows, but I don't get the part of adding width.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

determinedimprovisation

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007 12:26:34 PM »

Baby Size Chart. I've found that link very helpful in the past! It says your sweater should fit a 0-3 month baby...

That's one of the charts I was using!  So handy, yet so deceiving.  Those say they are the actual body measurements of the baby, not the clothing. 

You can do more buttonband rows - those rows add width to the front,  and length to the entire sweater. I'm not sure how that'll affect the fit if the back is narrower than the front, though.

That's what I'm concerned with.  (Plus I never be able to make the same modifications twice even if I write them down!) 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  I would really like to try knitting this again.  It was a fun knit once I figured out that I should not be trying to do the increases in the total darkness of my ethnobotany lecture.  Since my main constrant right now is time, I think I'm going to frog the entire thing and use the yarn to crochet Crochet Me's Baby It's Cold Outside.

If anyone still has any tips, please post them for future reference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007 02:25:03 PM »

If anyone still has any tips, please post them for future reference!

Here's another measurement chart - I think it shows the garment size http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

The only sizing tip I've got for the baby surprise is to remember "45 stitches is the back width"

I've got a list of what part of the sweater you're knitting when, if that'll help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007 02:44:43 PM »

Do you know the actual size of the babies you're knitting for, or are they not here yet?

My little one is pretty little -- she's 16 months old and still fits into some of her newborn stuff in terms of chest circ and arm size -- it's just too short in the torso.  BUt every baby is different.  I wouldn't worry too much: garter stitch is super stretchy, so a 15" chest measurement even if its close fitting would probably not be uncomfortable for a new baby (or my 16-month old).  It might be a too small for a big 9-mo though.

On the buttons... my LO went to work on the buttons almost as soon as I put them on, and hed them dangling limply within a half hour.  (Sadly, her father did not notice that she was working so diligently on destroying the sweater I'd just knitted. Grr.)  Anyway... I've resolved no more buttons on baby stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007 08:55:21 PM »

Do you know the actual size of the babies you're knitting for, or are they not here yet?

My little one is pretty little -- she's 16 months old and still fits into some of her newborn stuff in terms of chest circ and arm size -- it's just too short in the torso.  BUt every baby is different.  I wouldn't worry too much: garter stitch is super stretchy, so a 15" chest measurement even if its close fitting would probably not be uncomfortable for a new baby (or my 16-month old).  It might be a too small for a big 9-mo though.

On the buttons... my LO went to work on the buttons almost as soon as I put them on, and hed them dangling limply within a half hour.  (Sadly, her father did not notice that she was working so diligently on destroying the sweater I'd just knitted. Grr.)  Anyway... I've resolved no more buttons on baby stuff.

They're due November 1, but the guess is they will be big babies.  My mom has convinced me not to frog for yarn, and to put it on my favorite stuffed dog, who should fit it perfectly.

Good point about the buttons!  I was thinking of doing short ribbon ties or snaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frizz Smoothing for Straight Hair
Basic Tips for Ponytails
Hair Extensions For Bangs
How to Trim Your Bangs
Japanese Inspired Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...