A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copyright Infringement, update on 1st post  (Read 6264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darncat
« on: October 23, 2007 08:47:05 PM »

update
Looks like the site has done the right thing and removed the offending threads. Yeah us! I have left the main website address up so that you what site we're discussing

It seems lately I keep finding the infringers.
To my sorrow I have found a place that has literally thousands of copyrighted patterns posted on their site, myself included.

There is a upside tho, I did see several posts saying they had been removed at the request of the copright holder.

Here is the link to the site
http:// club. osinka. ru It's in Russian.

If you see something that belongs to you drop them a note and request it be removed. If you see something that belongs to someone you know, drop them a note to tell them about it.

I am not posting this to start trouble, just letting everyone know about this wholesale theft of our work!

I saw this at CrochetVille. Unfortunately I must report yet again to you all of another person selling other people's patterns.

Here is the link to the Thread at CrochetVille
http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63778

So disappointing what this person is doing. Some of the patterns are freely offered by people who took the time to figure out how to make them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 09:21:07 PM by darncat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caclark4
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007 06:49:52 AM »

I'm just curious-have you pm-ed this person to ask them if they know that they are infringing copyright?  While I agree that it is sketchy, is it possible they have worked out something with the designer of the patterns?  Is it possible the person did not know that what they are doing is wrong?  Are these YOUR patterns or someone elses?  If they are your patterns, I believe you have every right to call them out; although I would have asked them to cease and desist first and if they continued to offer the patterns for sale, then call them out publicly.  If they are someone elses I would reconsider placing posts on boards.

I'm not justifying in any way what is going on.  What I do know is that it is very difficult to understand copyright infringement laws.  In my writing classes we have spent no less than 10 hours discussing this and to be honest, I still have to look them up every time I'm unsure as to what is going on.  Before we assume that the seller is trying to rip someone off, I suggest tactfully suggesting to the seller that what is going on may not be legal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That which does not kill you makes you funnier-Joseph Fiennes
darncat
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 12:19:28 PM »

Thankfully none of them are mine. But if you read the Crochetville link someone there (can't remember which one) says that the unicorn pattern is hers. So therefore I know this person is selling someone else's work.
I have reported to etsy the one pattern that I could say for sure wasn't hers, Garfield. Here is a link to the pattern on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GARFIELD-Friends-Pattern-Book-Crochet-Toys-to-Make_W0QQitemZ290162410764QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41232QQcmdZViewItem

I have no stake in this, other than to help stop the theft of other people's hard work. I don't want to start controversy, I am simply trying to help stop the wholesale theft of other people's work.
If we do nothing the what is to stop other people from continuing to proffit off the work and effort of a designer?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007 11:57:16 AM by darncat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 02:40:17 PM »

I hope it's okay, I have posted an entry about this on my blog so that even more can know. I feel sorry for those that  have purchased those patterns from this person and those that was  "borrowed" from.

hopefully this will all be fixed soon.

the nerve of some people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 02:43:14 PM »

I sent an email to the abuse dept at etsy.  I don't think it's at all possible that she could have made arrangements with major publishing companies to release copyright on their products so that she could sell THEIR patterns.  If you look at the crochetville thread, their are several posts about specifically which booklets and websites the stolen patterns are from.  It really pisses me off that she's using etsy of all places to do this.  Etsy is specifically for people who are creative and original to sell the products of their imagination.  All the other shop owners who work hard to make money from their creations shouldn't have to share space with somebody who would so blatantly rip off fellow crafters.

Oh, and in response to this:

"If they are someone elses I would reconsider placing posts on boards."

I think it's great that darncat is looking out for other crafters who are having their work ripped off by someone who's profiting off of their hard work.  They're not my pattens either, but I'm pissed off for those people.  If it was my pattern, I'd want someone else to bring it to my attention.  Why be tactful when the shop owner is being a thieving jerk?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
kelliz
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007 05:21:31 PM »

I can not believe that girl thinks she can get away with that!  I hope she not only gets kicked off of Etsy but gets charges brought against her.  I am just shocked that she would think she could copy patterns and sell them as PDF's!  How irritating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmdm
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007 08:21:52 AM »

Looks like she's already sold 92 items! I hope Etsy kicks her off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZigZag
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007 08:56:59 PM »

Some of those patterns are from "The Great Christmas Crochet Book" published by the American School of Needlework, 1981.  I own a copy of it and the pictures are even copied in the add.  I don't know much about copyrights, would they still be intact? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NeedleNoodles
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007 01:49:10 PM »

Just to put in my $0.02 here...

I very much hope that you contacted this person as your first course of action!

Although it is hard for those of us "in the know" to believe, there are still plenty of folks out there who are ignorant of copyright law.  In my experience, 90% of the time, if you contact someone who is infringing, they're only too happy to take down the offending items.  (After all, crafters-- even less-knowledgeable crafters-- are generally nice people, right?  Smiley  )

Also, posts outing a person as a thief stay online pretty much forever, so it's very important to be 100% certain of these things before permanently damaging someone's reputation.  Some folks deserve it... but some don't.

Full disclosure:  I am probably a bit biased, as I have myself been reported for selling my *own* patterns.  Know that many websites suspend items and accounts first and ask questions later (if ever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007 01:57:03 PM »

okay, but did you sell *your* pattern, or did you sell someone else's pattern claiming it was yours?

if you were guilty of the latter, regardless of your reason, you were wrong, and it is the responsibility of people who care to protect everyone from people who steal from other artists knowingly and willingly

whether you didnt know it was *illegal* you should know that saying something was yours when it wasnt is wrong...(yea, those pronouns and adverbs are a little messed up)

if i create an item, and someone asks me for a pattern, and i give them that pattern, and i TELL them they can share it with whoever they want, IF they dont sell it, thats one thing, IF i use a pattern out of a free book, and then sell it cos i like it, and tell everyone i made it, then im stealing, even if i didnt pay for it, im stealing someone else's creativity, and thats just as wrong....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Full of Volume
Katia Beauchamp With Marlo Thomas
Three Beauty Tips For Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
Tips For Dry And Chapped Lips
A Trick To Making Your Eye Shadow Pop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...