A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carbon Paper  (Read 1796 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bebecakes
« on: October 23, 2007 08:14:16 PM »

Hi all, I'm new here! I'm just getting back to embroidery this week after seeing Jenny's patterns in a store nearby here. I bought the Craftopia, Kurt Halsey, Veggies and some tshirt stabilizers!

I know these are iron-ons, however after they get 'used' I was wondering what I should use to transfer these designs to a tshirt?

I have a Transfer pen in black, however I am not sure if it will show 'too much' on the t-shirt? I know the stitchign will cover it, however would it cover fully? That is my first question.

Second question is, I have a darker brown tshirt. Would a sulky white pen work better or Carbon transfer paper?

And if it's transfer paper that is better, is there a goood brand that everyone loves?

Thanks so much!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rectangel
a right angle gone wrong

'once a square always a square'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007 05:12:42 PM »

sublime sells white carbon paper...i've used it and it works...in my experience black will not show up on brown

wash out pens work not too bad if it isn't too fine a design
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Going to Viva this year April 1-4!
krissykat
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007 08:32:51 PM »

I've had the same concern about transfer pens. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Sulky iron-on pens.) I try to keep the tip of the pen sharp (just don't press too hard) so that I can make the lines as thin as possible. I also iron the pattern onto a piece of scrap fabric before I iron it onto the fabric for my project. The first transfer is usually really dark, and sometimes the detail looks a little muddy to me. The second one is a little lighter, but still easy to see, and the detail is sharper.

I've also tried both the Sulky white pen and white carbon paper (from Sublime Stitching) and I like the carbon paper much better. I found the Sulky pen kind of hard to use. Maybe the one I had was on the shelf too long or something, but the ink was really thick and didn't flow evenly, which made a bunch of splotches. It didn't transfer well onto the fabric either.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
bebecakes
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007 09:07:56 PM »

I've had the same concern about transfer pens. (I'm assuming you're talking about the Sulky iron-on pens.) I try to keep the tip of the pen sharp (just don't press too hard) so that I can make the lines as thin as possible. I also iron the pattern onto a piece of scrap fabric before I iron it onto the fabric for my project. The first transfer is usually really dark, and sometimes the detail looks a little muddy to me. The second one is a little lighter, but still easy to see, and the detail is sharper.

I've also tried both the Sulky white pen and white carbon paper (from Sublime Stitching) and I like the carbon paper much better. I found the Sulky pen kind of hard to use. Maybe the one I had was on the shelf too long or something, but the ink was really thick and didn't flow evenly, which made a bunch of splotches. It didn't transfer well onto the fabric either.

Hope that helps!

Krissykat, thanks! When you are using the Sublime carbon paper, do u need something special to 'trace' the words on? And I'm guessing that you are using these on darker coloured shirts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007 11:12:09 PM »

No sweat!:) I like to use a stylus. It makes a crisp line and doesn't tear the paper. You don't need one, though. You can use lots of things to trace with. A pencil or ballpoint pen will work, if you don't mind drawing on the back of your paper, but they do tend to make rips if you press too hard. A knitting needle might work too, as long as the tip isn't too sharp.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bebecakes
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007 12:00:39 PM »

No sweat!:) I like to use a stylus. It makes a crisp line and doesn't tear the paper. You don't need one, though. You can use lots of things to trace with. A pencil or ballpoint pen will work, if you don't mind drawing on the back of your paper, but they do tend to make rips if you press too hard. A knitting needle might work too, as long as the tip isn't too sharp.

krissykat, you're awesome! thanks! k one more question for you. Since we are talking about the sublime carbon paper, then what do u use for white tshirt/light coloured tshirts? I think the sublime papers are white and grey right?

Also, are these carbon paper reuseable?

thanks alot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007 12:39:04 PM »

Happy to!  Yep, you get white and grey in the same pack. The grey is dark enough that you can use it on light coloured fabric. (I still use my transfer pen more often, though.) It is reuseable, and the sheets are pretty big. One pack would last you quite awhile. I'm still using my first sheet of white.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bebecakes
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007 03:58:39 PM »

Happy to!  Yep, you get white and grey in the same pack. The grey is dark enough that you can use it on light coloured fabric. (I still use my transfer pen more often, though.) It is reuseable, and the sheets are pretty big. One pack would last you quite awhile. I'm still using my first sheet of white.

KrissyKat, i really appreciate ur help!! and prompt reply too! Smiley Anyway i still have a few questions Smiley it keeps coming...
When u say the carbon paper is reuseable, you mean I can reuse the 'same design' on the carbon sheet, right? I mean, the paper can't be reused with another design?

Also, when you say that you still use your transfer pen more often over the carbon paper, what is the reason that you chose the carbon paper over the transfer pen for that instance?

oh one more hehee, when you use the transfer pen, do you find it smudging off on the thread or showing on the tshirt after embroidering? (sulky black transfer pen)

Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait till I become an expert at this so I can pass my knowledge onto someone else!!! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007 05:20:23 PM »

lol  I'm certainly no expert, but I'm always happy to share the results of my own trial and error! 

I wanted to double check on using the paper for different designs. I always do it, but I wanted to make sure it works just as well. So I snapped a little demo:
Here's a piece of my white carbon paper, and you can see that I've transferred a flaming pistons design with it. That's the carbon side (the side that touches the fabric).

If you look closely near the point of the pencil, you can see now that I transferred a candy over the same spot

...and it still comes out perfectly. The cupcake was done over the pistons too, it's lighter only because I didn't press as hard.

I pretty much only use carbon paper for transfers onto dark fabric. It's the only way that works really well. I've used the grey carbon paper when my transfer pen dried up, and it does work well. I just prefer the transfer pen because I often like to reuse the images and that way I only have to draw it up once and I can iron it on a few times. Plus if I make a mistake, I can just start over before it's even on the fabric. I've never had any smudging problems with the pens, but like I said before, I never use the first transfer because it's just too darn inky. I could definitely see that happening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bebecakes
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007 11:32:12 PM »

WOW thanks for those photos!!!!!! Very nice design too!

k last question (i hope). What do you use to draw on with the transfer pen? A regular piece of paper?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Social Documentary Film Production Tips
How to Tell a More Impactful Emotional Story
How Clinton Global Initiative Empowers Young Filmmakers
How to Manage Non-Profit Client Expectations
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...