A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Urban Outfitters scarf- deciphering the stitch pattern!  (Read 6292 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vpop
« on: October 23, 2007 05:58:03 PM »

I was at Urban Outfitters today, and saw this scarf.

I stared at awhile, trying to see if I could figure out the pattern just by looking at it, but I just couldn't figure it out.  Anyone have any ideas of what this stitch pattern is?  All I can tell you is that the yarn was worked double, and the back of it looked vaguely like the wrong side of stockinette stitch. Here's a close up of it:

Thanks in advance, guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadedpink
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 05:59:23 PM »

The site says it's crocheted....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi6
Right Brain Thinker

Right Brain Thinker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007 06:00:53 PM »

I've never seen a stitch like that. Is the scarf flat or like a tube?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make things because I have to, otherwise I would go mad.
www.rightbrainthinker.etsy.com
vpop
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007 06:03:54 PM »

The site says it's crocheted....

Yeah, I noticed that, but it definitely looked knit to me.  It wasn't "nubbly" like crochet tends to be, and I could see where it looked like knit increases/decreases were made.  I just couldn't figure out the pattern.

I've never seen a stitch like that. Is the scarf flat or like a tube?

It's flat, it doesn't curl at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007 06:06:14 PM »

ive seen a crochet stitch just like that, but the directions were too difficult for me to understand coz it was in spanish... i'm not sure about knitting though... its definately knit because if you look at the closeup of the bottom near the tassels you can see a couple of rows of stockinette
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007 06:08:54 PM by LilMissPink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
LilMissPink
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007 06:13:14 PM »

ok this is just a guess i didnt try it out but... it looks like, you would knit 4 together, purl, knit 4 together for the first row of the pattern, and then on the next row you would make 3 stitches in between the k4tog's and the purl's of of the previous row. i think that should do it im just not sure on how to make up for that lost 3 stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007 08:49:45 PM »

I'm almost certain it isn't crochet; there are purl bumps going on.

I think what might be happening is;
row one (ws); rib setup; k2,p4
row two (rs); continue purling as appropriate, but either cable 2front, or twist them somehow?
row 3; continue in the rib
row 4; shift the rib by p3, *k2, p4* k1. I think; so that the new 4 stitch part includes one stitch from each 2st part on either side, and the new 2 stich parts are the 2 middle stitches of the previous 4 stitch part.
then repeating the twists and ribs where appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alyce1611
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007 10:09:26 PM »

I don't knit but to me it looks very much like the crochet, called Star stitch or sometimes known as Marguerite. I could be wrong but, I have done the stitch and just took a quick peek of a photo of it in the 300 Crochet Stitches Guide by Harmony. Does anyone else agree?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007 01:07:58 AM »

Yep, that's crochet for sure.
You didn't know it could be so ... uncrochet-like, huh?   Grin

(also, it's amazing what colors do to stitch patterns)

now if i can just find a picture link to prove it...

ah, here we go: http://crochet.about.com/library/blstar_stitch.htm?once=true&

they use more of an old style red heart-esque yarn in that tutorial.  i think the urban outfitters scarf is acrylic too, but a bit more sleek. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
zeeblebee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007 01:46:11 AM »

Hardly; I'm a crocheter and I've worked that pattern before. I'm not one to dismiss the idea that something is crocheted just because I feel threatened by it.

Perhaps the fact that when I was working it, it was with a 2.5mm hook, but I am still not convinced that it is a star stitch, or at least, that it hasn't been modified. I'm happy to be proven wrong though, I can say I've learnt something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007 01:48:01 AM »

I don't knit but to me it looks very much like the crochet, called Star stitch or sometimes known as Marguerite. I could be wrong but, I have done the stitch and just took a quick peek of a photo of it in the 300 Crochet Stitches Guide by Harmony. Does anyone else agree?
Yup, that's star stitch. I've made a few afghans using that stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007 02:15:37 AM »

Hardly; I'm a crocheter and I've worked that pattern before. I'm not one to dismiss the idea that something is crocheted just because I feel threatened by it.

heh, sorry.  i was a crocheter way before i learned how to knit, and i'm a wee bit protective of my first love.  i came off sounding rather patronizing and totally did not mean to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
zeeblebee
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007 02:41:31 AM »

no worries, I've been there too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007 06:00:18 AM »

Could it be related to this knitting stitch?

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/twocolorstar.htm

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooncalf
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007 06:01:35 AM »

There's a similar knit stitch called Daisy Stitch which makes a nice scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiebread
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007 06:04:27 AM »

Obviously it is croitted. 
It is a word I just made up.
It means the b*****d love child of knit and crochet.
I really like that scarf though.  I think a lot of sleekness comes from the yarn.  I agree that it looks like crochet, but I know nothing about knitting so it could very well be that too!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vainparade
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007 07:04:49 AM »

Looks quite a bit like the (knit) daisy stitch seen here
http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2007/1/23/whitneys-palette-cardigan.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007 07:59:07 AM »

Looks quite a bit like the (knit) daisy stitch seen here
http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2007/1/23/whitneys-palette-cardigan.html

If you turn the Urban Outfitters pic upside-down it looks exactly like the pic at purlbee.com; it's gotta be the daisy stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fadedpink
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007 09:55:40 AM »

that's definitely the daisy stitch! Good job Vainparade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007 10:56:44 AM »

I'd definitely vote for the daisy stitch. I love both, especially the color combo of the Urban Outfitters one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007 10:59:47 AM »

Sorry to be a bother, but the rows 1-4 would be just for one color? And then after follow 1-4 in a different color? (Does this even make sense??) Thanks in advance if someone can help me.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007 11:19:41 AM »

Sorry to be a bother, but the rows 1-4 would be just for one color? And then after follow 1-4 in a different color? (Does this even make sense??) Thanks in advance if someone can help me.  Embarrassed

I just glanced at the stitch pattern, but I think it's two rows per color...if you're unsure, work a little swatch of it to see when you need to change colors.

And huzzah for it being a knit stitch.  I can't get my brain and hands around crochet just yet, so this means I can do it myself and not end up begging my Mum to make me a scarf Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007 12:01:01 PM »

I just glanced at the stitch pattern, but I think it's two rows per color...if you're unsure, work a little swatch of it to see when you need to change colors.

Thank you so much!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squeaky_kleen
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007 12:25:26 PM »

Ooooh, I really like this scarf! Thanks for finding the daisy stitch pattern, I might have to make one for myself now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/
geniebueller
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007 01:24:48 PM »

okay, question about the daisy stitch:  i was reading the pattern & the stitches just arent adding up to me.  if i'm reading it right, youll end up with half as many stiches on row 2 as you started with on row 1.  this isnt right.  would somebody please hold my hand and help me understand it?

DAISY STITCH
Cast on a multiple of 4 stitches, plus one.
Row 1 (right side):  Knit.
Row 2:  K1, *P3tog, yo, P3tog again (the same three stitches as before), K1, repeat from *.
Row 3:  Knit.
Row 4:  K1, P1, K1, *P3tog, yo, P3tog again (the same three stitches as before), K1, repeat from *.
Repeat Rows 1 - 4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeaky_kleen
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007 01:46:28 PM »

When you purl 3 together, that's one stitch. Then you do a yarnover which makes another stitch. And then you purl through those same 3 stitches again so that's a third stitch. So basically, by purling the same three stitches together, you're keeping the same number of stitches in row two. Ok, I don't think I explained that very well but I hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my knitting blog: http://clairemitchell.wordpress.com/
LilMissPink
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007 04:42:41 PM »

Ahh i get it, squeaky-kleen... the k1, the top of the p3tog, and the yo make up the new 3 stitches that you p3tog "again", am i right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007 04:49:15 PM »

Pink - not quite but almost  Smiley

The purl 3 together puts one loop on the needle, then the yarn over puts the second loop on the needle, then you purl the same three together again and that puts the 3rd loop on the needle. Those three "items" make up for the purl three together.

The K1 just covers the one stitch you are knitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PegasusMarsters
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007 05:46:22 PM »

Can anyone do a picture tutorial or video of this for knitting simpletons like me who cannot figure out how on earth to do it but love the scarf? Thank you SO much in advance to anyone who finds the time to do this. I'm much more visual, reading stuff doesn't help me learn how to do it.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 stuffies, cute things and anything totally rad.

Add me on messenger if you wanna talk ^.^
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007 06:27:31 PM »

The instructions are a little vague...I wish I had the set-up to do a visual tutorial, but I don't.  If only you could send knowledge straight into other peoples' brains!

You purl three stitches together but leave them on the left needle, then you do a yarnover, then you purl through the same three stitches again and pull them off the left needle...it's a simple thing to do but a little awkward to convey without getting really wordy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2007 06:39:34 PM »

Huh wheres that second 3rd stitch? i dont get it...
wouldnt a p3tog make one loop??? and then the yo makes 2??
wheres the last one gonna be??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geniebueller
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2007 06:48:13 PM »

okay i think ive got it now.  thank you.  i was still having trouble visualizing the yo & 2nd p3tog on the left needle.  but i pulled out some needles and yarn and it made perfect sense.  ill just need to do a few rows to make sure i actually understood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2007 08:29:59 PM »

okay i think ive got it now.  thank you.  i was still having trouble visualizing the yo & 2nd p3tog on the left needle.  but i pulled out some needles and yarn and it made perfect sense.  ill just need to do a few rows to make sure i actually understood.
Yay!  I often have to get out the stuff and actually try it before the instructions really make sense to me.

I find taking pictures of my knitting as I go really awkward and strange, but I've played around with it a bit to try and show what to do...if anybody has a better camera setup for such things, please share and help out the visual learners Smiley

Here's the K1 and the first P3tog...do not pull those three stitches off the left needle:

Then the YO:

Then the second P3tog, done through the same three stitches that were used for the first P3tog:

And then you pull those three stitches off the left needle:

...which makes three stitches out of three.  Simple, but kinda weird to explain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lymabeans

I do the best imitation of myself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007 09:04:29 PM »

OMG!!! aliastriona_angerboda, I love you so much. I've been sitting here all night trying to figure out how to do this. This is so much easier than I was making it out to be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When all else fails, blame it on the Great English Vowel Shift."
vpop
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007 09:08:56 PM »

Wow, thanks everyone for your help!  I knew I could count on you awesome Craftster girls to come to the rescue.  Smiley  Now I'm off to try it myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007 06:48:22 AM »

Ooooh, I see.  I wasn't getting that they were all working into the same stitch.  Oh, I like it.  I love the apparent crochet-knitting ambiguity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
PegasusMarsters
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007 07:25:04 AM »

OOOOOOOOOH! I get it!!!!!  Grin I thought I kinda knew but the pictures make it make SO much more sense. Thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 stuffies, cute things and anything totally rad.

Add me on messenger if you wanna talk ^.^
LilMissPink
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007 10:38:27 AM »

i get it now!! thank you so much for the pictures
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllenKnits
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007 10:56:32 AM »

Row 4:  K1, P1, K1, *P3tog, yo, P3tog again (the same three stitches as before), K1, repeat from *.

That should say   repeat from* end P1, K1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007 12:48:58 PM »

OMG! no wonder i was getting 2 sts at the end of row 4 and didn't know what i did wrong!!

thank you EllenKnits!

That should say   repeat from* end P1, K1

Thank you aliastriona_angerboda for such clear pictorial... totally helps me works out this stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OnePinkHippo
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007 09:49:29 AM »

Thanks for the pictures! I'm getting ready to cast on for the practice swatch, and that makes it so much clearer!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kannd86
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007 07:23:17 PM »

I'm in love with this scarf.  I went to Urban Outfitters, but there was no sign of it.  What kind of yarn would you recommend?  It looks like two strands held together.  This scarf is next on my list. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kannd86
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008 03:57:32 PM »

Has anyone attempted this scarf yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Recycled Materials
How To Play A Augmented 7
Learn How To Trade Emini Future June 15
Creative Greeting Card Ideas
Interview With Comedian Trevor Boris
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...