A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easy + DELICIOUS squash/onion galette  (Read 1479 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian_holiday_food , squash , onion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misslilamae
« on: October 23, 2007 05:24:16 PM »

this was SO. DAMN. GOOD.  squash and cheese and caramelized onions, mmmmmmmm.

when i saw deb's post on smittenkitchen.com about her "buttercup squash and caramelized onion galette," a hunger struck me.  i had to make it.  it was a NEED, and therefore a RESPONSIBILITY.

RECIPE O' AWESOME -->
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/10/butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-galette/

of course, i'm me, so there were a few liberties taken with the recipe (noted below) but sweet holy crackers, people.  this is GOOD.  this is hardcore warm-you-up winter deliciousness.  i want this galette to be my new boyfriend.

things i changed (mostly cos i'm a lazy cook as well as an ambitious one):
- buttercup squash instead of butternut, pre-roasted in advance and then cubed (cube raw winter squash? HELL NO.)
- manchego cheese instead of fontina, 'cos it's what i had
- frozen puff pastry instead of a homemade crust
- and of course it's kind of huge, about 40% bigger than the original.  more leftovers for me!

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette

For the pastry:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into
pieces
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water

For the filling:
1 small butternut squash (about one pound)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons butter (if you have only non-stick, the smaller amount will do)
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced in half-moons
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
3/4 cup fontina cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces), grated or cut into small bits
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves

1. Make pastry: In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Place the butter in another bowl. Place both bowls in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove the bowls from the freezer and make a well in the center of the flour. Add the butter to the well and, using a pastry blender, cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make another well in the center. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water and add half of this mixture to the well. With your fingertips, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Remove the large lumps and repeat with the remaining liquid and flour-butter mixture. Pat the lumps into a ball; do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Prepare squash: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel squash, then halve and scoop out seeds. Cut into a 1/2-inch dice. Toss pieces with olive oil and a half-teaspoon of the salt and roast on foil lined (for neatness sake) sheet for 30 minutes or until pieces are tender, turning it midway if your oven bakes unevenly. Set aside to cool slightly.

3. Caramelize onions: While squash is roasting, melt butter in a heavy skillet and cook onion over low heat with the remaining half-teaspoon of salt and pinch of sugar, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in cayenne.

4. Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Mix squash, caramelized onions, cheese and herbs together in a bowl.

5. Assemble galette: On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12-inch round. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Spread squash, onions, cheese and herb mixture over the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Fold the border over the squash, onion and cheese mixture, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.

6. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes, then slide the galette onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Serves 6.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013 08:49:36 AM by HSG - Reason: Added recipe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007 06:13:21 PM »

ooh! that looks really yummy.  i wonder if it would work with the delicata squash i have? 

i'm totally tempted to try this one.  thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FASHION_freak
Live, laugh, love

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007 02:44:41 PM »

Oh my! Thay looks totally yummy! Too bad the boyfriend doesn't like squash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love, Gail

wist - the things I want & love
etsy shop - buy a thing or two

I love Edward Cullen! <3
misslilamae
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007 03:21:23 PM »

Oh my! Thay looks totally yummy! Too bad the boyfriend doesn't like squash.

hmm...  my fiance doesn't like squash (especially summer squashes, he says they're bitter) but he's okay with pumpkin, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, etc.   Cheesy  i've been working on him a while but usually the best i can get is "well, i don't hate it...."

he really liked this though.  i think it's because of the buttercup squash (it's kind of like halfway between pumpkin and yam, flavor-wise) and because of the oven roasting -- that's one of my fave methods of cooking hard veggies because it really brings out the natural sweetness.  especially if you cooked the squash a little longer like in the original recipe...

try it anyway!  it's so easy to make (cooking the onions is the longest thing, and that's just stirring) and if he doesn't like it, all the better! then the leftovers will be all yours.   Grin  (i'm eating it on the second day and it's still great.  it's okay cold, too.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dansk
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007 04:55:52 PM »

That looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007 12:03:21 AM »

That looks sooooo good.

I think mine'll have cheddar and brie, and puff pastry because that's what's in the freezer, and I might make little individual sized ones....

This strikes me as the kind of thing that'd be a pretty nice lunch the next day too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misslilamae
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007 07:09:20 AM »

That looks sooooo good.

I think mine'll have cheddar and brie, and puff pastry because that's what's in the freezer, and I might make little individual sized ones....

This strikes me as the kind of thing that'd be a pretty nice lunch the next day too.

yeah, i used puff pastry also because it was what i had, and i didn't want to spend an hour making a crust by hand - and i've already got plans to make mini-versions of this for thanksgiving!   Grin 

it's still great the next day, too.   we had it for lunch for the next few days, actually -- if you don't wrap it up airtight in the fridge, then it stays crispy too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007 07:44:18 PM »

I just tried it out tonight and it was super yummy!  I used a pre-made pie crust cuz I realized today that I don't have a rolling pin and I could spend $20 at the grocery store to get one, or by a $2 crust instead.  Also, I used delicata squash instead of butternut, because that's what I already had.

Hubby loved it.  This is a recipe that I'm definitely going to make again.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Makes People’s Hair Get All Frizzy?
How to Do a French Plait Bun
How to Do a Fishtail Seashell Bun
How to Get Perfect Holiday Waves in 10 Minutes Flat
Hair Tips: Dealing With Hat Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...